Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel refuses Delta Voucher?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2011, 11:26 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
However, unlike the US government and money, Delta is not the only one printing vouchers. Other customers from other airlines are likely showing up there without Delta's knowledge. Are the hotels voucher limited by airline or by total number of rooms? Not sure but I bet the latter.

Sorry about the OP's troubles. I hope you slept somewhere comfortable and on DL's dime (even if only after reimbursement).
I agree. Every hotel chain - perhaps down to the given property - likely has different business rules that decide whether or not a voucher will be accepted. A "no more voucher" situation sucks, but is probably a non-trivial, if even solvable, problem for every airline.

Sure, the solution is to get every hotel to always accept a voucher, but it's probably not cost-effective to have that kind of relationship (likely it costs a lot more) for this corner-case.

Delta has done the math, and the occasional oversell apparently is not as expensive as the eventual customer service recovery.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Some place in this wonderful world (usually at 39,000 ft in seat 1C)
Programs: CO Gold Elite / NW Gold Elite
Originally Posted by JWZ954
I just can not believe any hotels in Detroit would ever fully booked!!!man we are talking about the motor city!
Was this bash really called for? It's not as if the city doesn't have enough issues of their own without the help of folks like yourself but to help you with your travels in the future Detroit Metro/Wayne County Airport isn't located in the city itself, it's located about 25 miles SW of the city limites (DET is located inside the city) - the metro area while one of the hardest hit during the recent downturn still has a strong economy which is making a comeback....I'm certain with as many flights cancelled as there were that the hotels near the airport would be sold out (and just for added note: the airport authority did report they were fully operational during the storm, the reasons for cancellations were not weather related at DTW but operational issues elsewhere in the system)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DeltaFan4Now
However, unlike the US government and money, Delta is not the only one printing vouchers. Other customers from other airlines are likely showing up there without Delta's knowledge. Are the hotels voucher limited by airline or by total number of rooms? Not sure but I bet the latter.

Sorry about the OP's troubles. I hope you slept somewhere comfortable and on DL's dime (even if only after reimbursement).
They are limited by airline - but hotels have been known to change the allocation limit on DL too
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Your post is absolute BS.....Delta has no way of assuring that a hotel will accept the voucher, the hotel is a seperate business. Hotels often try and essentially price gouge in these situations because demand for hotel rooms is high in Weather IROPS. And Delta does reimburse travelers quite often for hotels in these types of situations where a voucher was given that the hotel did not accept. It is documented in the passengers PNR that a Hotel Voucher, Meal Voucher, Miles and/or eTCV was given.

As a side note to this, many of the delays and cancellations in the midwest were due to "Weather" and I have a feeling that the DMs and PMs received free hotel vouchers because DL tries to treat its top customers well. In no way was DL obligated to give any compensation since Weather was the main reason. People that received hotel vouchers should be very happy because I know a number of people that hve had to pay out of pocket in these types of situations.
Sorry but DL does have contracts with hotels to provide rooms to them at discounted prices, the price is set but the number of rooms is subject to what the hotel wants to give...if the hotel said DL you have 50, then DL enteres 50 for hotel X into their database and prints out 50 vouchers to 50 PNR's...now agents can forcesell (or at least they could in the past) and print out 51 if they wish but the hotel has said DL only had 50 (on the other hand the hotel might call DL back later and say opps, we made a mistake, you only have 40....)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrz518
Third, this is the hotel's issue, not Delta's, as they made that desicion. However, if there are complaints for such issues, the hotel is at risk of being pulled off the list, and as you can imagine, that would be painful in the long term for the hotel.
You dont know that - you dont know who changed what...either party could have been at fault here
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Thanks for backing me here. I am pretty sure that I know how DL handles these situations since I have been in several of them and have ties to DL. Hotels are really not a DL issue since they are not part of DL and certainly if enough people complain they can be removed from the list...which obviously will not benefit them.
well I'm on the other side of the table and know how it works first hand....and to be 100% accurate you'd need to add that most of the airlines these days use an intermediary to handle hotel rooms for pax (and it's becoming more and more common for crew needs too)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by edscholl
but delta would have no way to know how many vouchers that other airlines have issued for a particular hotel, and i'm sure we can all agree that there's no way in he!! that delta has a guaranteed block of rooms. so if a hotel accepts 50 vouchers per night, even one delta passenger voucher might get denied if the hotel is already filled with vouchers from co, ua, aa passengers, eh?
Sorry but each airline does have a contract amount - or some intermediaries will have a contracted amount and allocate out to individual airlines - eitherway the airlines have a specific inventory from which to work

Anyone wanting more information should contact "Airport Accomodations" - I'm certain many of you have spoken to their call center agents many times over the years
Old Feb 22, 2011, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fti
I stand by my statement. Not sure if it is a hotel or a DL problem, but more vouchers shouldn't be printed than the hotel will accept. Either the hotel tells DL how many of their vouchers they will accept and/or DL monitors better how many they print.

There has to be a contract between DL and the hotel in order for DL to blindly print vouchers (rate, how many rooms, etc). Something smells fishy here. Sorry. I remember being accommodated in a hotel in ORD by UA one time. The agent called the hotel to be sure they had room before they printed my voucher. Pretty simple, huh? It was a service that UA provided because they didn't want to anger their customer who might get to a hotel that won't accept a voucher. Seems pretty simple to me. But obviously, simple things are often very complicated with DL.
that is exactly how the system works (except the airline agent shouldn't need to call except in extreme situations)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:06 pm

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by socrates
Sorry but each airline does have a contract amount - or some intermediaries will have a contracted amount and allocate out to individual airlines - eitherway the airlines have a specific inventory from which to work
you're telling me that delta has a guaranteed, contracted number of rooms blocked at their discounted rate? that makes no sense whatsoever.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
you're telling me that delta has a guaranteed, contracted number of rooms blocked at their discounted rate? that makes no sense whatsoever.
It varies by the day.

Speaking as a (former) front office manager at an airport hotel at EWR, it goes like this:

The affected airline calls the hotel to secure a quantity of rooms, for any number of reasons. At EWR it happened pretty much every day.

The amount of rooms is based purely on the airlines needs, coupled with the hotels availability.

So, if CO (for example) calls, and wants 75 rooms, you make 75 reservations. Usually, < 75 rooms arrives, and the airline pays for the full amount contracted, and the hotel has some no shows (that helps offset the low rate). Sometimes, > 75 rooms arrive, and you either accomodate or you don't. It's usually the former, not the latter, but both scenarios happen.

They call for weather reasons, international flight misconnects, you name it. Believe me, though, you do NOT want to antagonize that relationship, as your hotel can start the day empty and end up full. So you do want to be as helpful as possible.

However, there may be arrangements by which the hotel/airline have a fixed amount per day, but the same applies.
Old Feb 22, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by socrates
You dont know that - you dont know who changed what...either party could have been at fault here
That's why I laid out numerous bullet points and scenarios, you've only quoted me for the one.....by NOT honoring the voucher, it was clearly the hotels decision, for better or worse. But, as I noted in the point following this comment, the airline could have overbooked their allottment, walk ins, etc.......

Last edited by rrz518; Feb 22, 2011 at 2:25 pm
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

as someone who's been in the hotel industry for decades I'm telling you DL contacts their intermediary and says "hey there's weather today, we'll need extra rooms" (the intermediary has history and knows on a typical day how many rooms they are looking for, they continue to monitor the block and are in constant contact on bad IRROPS days with the DL station contact thoughout the day)...the intermediary reaches out to the hotels DL has a contract with and see's how many rooms the hotel is willing to give DL (no different than you calling and saying you're having a family reunion and want a block of rooms for your relatives, hotels do this all the time, heck even DL holds inventory for groups) - I'm not sure why this doesn't make sense to you, DL doesn't guarantee payment if the room isn't used and the hotel is able to change the block of rooms at anytime as well....now now where did I say DL had a contracted amount of rooms....only that they had a contracted rate - there is a big difference, crew blocks (including training blocks) are the only thing that is guaranteed
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It varies by the day.

Speaking as a (former) front office manager at an airport hotel at EWR, it goes like this:

The affected airline calls the hotel to secure a quantity of rooms, for any number of reasons. At EWR it happened pretty much every day.

The amount of rooms is based purely on the airlines needs, coupled with the hotels availability.

So, if CO (for example) calls, and wants 75 rooms, you make 75 reservations. Usually, < 75 rooms arrives, and the airline pays for the full amount contracted, and the hotel has some no shows (that helps offset the low rate). Sometimes, > 75 rooms arrive, and you either accomodate or you don't. It's usually the former, not the latter, but both scenarios happen.

They call for weather reasons, international flight misconnects, you name it. Believe me, though, you do NOT want to antagonize that relationship, as your hotel can start the day empty and end up full. So you do want to be as helpful as possible.

However, there may be arrangements by which the hotel/airline have a fixed amount per day, but the same applies.
the big difference between the way CO does it and the way NW did and DL currently does it is CO provides a onetime use MasterCard on the voucher so the hotel KNOWS they will get paid immediately - I've been known to cut airlines off in the past (sometimes it's the only way to get the station managers attention)
Old Feb 22, 2011, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That's why I laid out numerous bullet points and scenarios, you've only quoted me for the one.....by NOT honoring the voucher, it was clearly the hotels decision, for better or worse. But, as I noted in the point following this comment, the airline could have overbooked their allottment, walk ins, etc.......
ah sorry - guess we're on the same page
Old Feb 22, 2011, 4:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by deltagoldflyer
Be happy DELTA is making money and can now pay the bills. Back in the day I had a NWA one to a hotel at ORD and they said I could not stay because NWA credit is no good because they do not pay their bills! (vouchers).
What good is paying their bills if their vouchers aren't accepted?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.