Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Feb 15, 11, 7:39 am   #46
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: DL GM, lots of other programs
Posts: 11,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds View Post
I know what they are, and I definitely use them - UA's 'either/or' stopover/jaw rule used to annoy me greatly. When AA made this change, I initially had the same feelings as you're expressing here. But once AA and UA went to full one way awards, the dramatic impact of that was frankly overwhelming. It just opened up all sorts of different options that made award travel so much easier.

Combining carriers for award tickets, combining awards with cheap paid legs, multi-leg trips, waiting out better routings leg by leg/carrier by carrier, etc. Booking an award is a totally different game for me today thanks to one ways, and at most it has cost me an occasional extra intra-Europe 10k award to regain a stopover.

Just don't under-estimate how liberating this change could be. I wouldn't change the AA program back for the old stopover rules. Though, hat's off to UA . There is no reason this swap has to be an "either/or".

To be honest, the bigger problem with DL would be the fuel taxes on return legs/segments in Europe.
If you use the DL stopover/open jaw feature to its fullest, I can't imagine you would continue to say what you do, but as usual YMMV. In fact, I already book "one way" awards with DL to a degree. I also save hundreds of dollars with the stopover provision. Example: Anchorage to King Salmon, AK costs +-$400 round trip. Add that to an MSP-ANC round trip and instantly I save $400 on one award ticket, not to mention the amount I save on the MSP-ANC round trip.

And I wouldn't be going to ANC next month if it weren't for DL's stopover rule. Basically can add a 'free' trip to ANC to my European award ticket. For ME, WAY better than a OW award.
__________________
My flight memory since 2006: http://my.flightmemory.com/friend1979
fti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 11, 11:30 am   #47
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,203
Quote:
Originally Posted by fti View Post
If you use the DL stopover/open jaw feature to its fullest, I can't imagine you would continue to say what you do, but as usual YMMV. In fact, I already book "one way" awards with DL to a degree. I also save hundreds of dollars with the stopover provision. Example: Anchorage to King Salmon, AK costs +-$400 round trip. Add that to an MSP-ANC round trip and instantly I save $400 on one award ticket, not to mention the amount I save on the MSP-ANC round trip.

And I wouldn't be going to ANC next month if it weren't for DL's stopover rule. Basically can add a 'free' trip to ANC to my European award ticket. For ME, WAY better than a OW award.
Well, when you say "to its fullest", you describe the vast, vast minority of situations... they just happen to be what you redeem. In such cases, as with anything, there are winners and losers. That is totally understandable, and those on the 'lose' side, however small the minority, would have every right to complain about such a change.

I was simply commenting on your initial statement that such a choice was a "no brainer". I do in fact have a brain, I just disagree .
HeadInTheClouds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 11, 3:42 pm   #48
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: DL GM, lots of other programs
Posts: 11,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds View Post
Well, when you say "to its fullest", you describe the vast, vast minority of situations... they just happen to be what you redeem. In such cases, as with anything, there are winners and losers. That is totally understandable, and those on the 'lose' side, however small the minority, would have every right to complain about such a change.

I was simply commenting on your initial statement that such a choice was a "no brainer". I do in fact have a brain, I just disagree .
Fine. But I still can't believe that for the majority of people having OW awards would be better than what DL now offers. I think "the vast, vast minority of situations" means "the vast, vast majority of frequent flyers don't have a clue how valuable the current DL rules are." Nuff said.
__________________
My flight memory since 2006: http://my.flightmemory.com/friend1979
fti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 15, 11, 5:16 pm   #49
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Programs: DL PM, CO PE, OZ Diamond. SPG Gold, HH Gold.
Posts: 1,614
i booked
HKG - NRT - SPN - NRT (stop) - PVG last summer.

unfortunately, i cant manage to figure out to do stopover in HKG yet because the ticket on Delta has unknown rule. agents told me that i can do stop in only NRT and ICN. this is where my problem lies as stopover in NRT (is fun) and ICN are not useful to build 1.5 trips per ticket.

i think that you like alaska, and alaska airline is a partner of DL, this is why Dl is more valuable to you. i can understand! but to say CO is not better is just not true.
last summer. i did
SZX-PEK-BKK-DPS-BKK-HKG (stop) - CTU - LXA
then i booked.
XNN - PEK - HKG (stop) - NRT - GUM - MAJ (final destination) - GUM - NGO - ICN - PEK - SZX
with 4 overnight stops. (one of them is exactly 24 hours).

i dont know if something similar can be done on Delta. i really doubt.
pbd456 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 11, 9:53 am   #50
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: MHT/BOS <--> World
Programs: AA Plat 2.8MM
Posts: 4,542
Quote:
Originally Posted by fti View Post
I think "the vast, vast minority of situations" means "the vast, vast majority of frequent flyers don't have a clue how valuable the current DL rules are." Nuff said.
I have a very good understanding of my best options with DL miles.

Yet, at peak times, I have often had to accept unwanted 3 connectoins or overnights in order to use DL miles (on partner airlines) for the needed dates at saver levels. Often the itinerary in one direction, but not the other, was relatively convenient. Being able to use the DL miles for the part where they work well and use AA/UA miles for the other part would have made things much better.
wanaflyforless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 18, 11, 11:02 am   #51
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: DL GM, lots of other programs
Posts: 11,307
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanaflyforless View Post
I have a very good understanding of my best options with DL miles.

Yet, at peak times, I have often had to accept unwanted 3 connectoins or overnights in order to use DL miles (on partner airlines) for the needed dates at saver levels. Often the itinerary in one direction, but not the other, was relatively convenient. Being able to use the DL miles for the part where they work well and use AA/UA miles for the other part would have made things much better.
I understand what you are saying. I am just saying (1) if it is an "either-or" choice of open jaws/stopover or one-way awards, open jaws/stopovers win hands down for me, (2) most FT'ers don't understand DL's rules. I have PM'd with many of them who asked me how I book what I book for the miles I use.
__________________
My flight memory since 2006: http://my.flightmemory.com/friend1979
fti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 11, 3:17 pm   #52
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG
Posts: 727
I sure could use a one way award option right now. I just don't understand why Delta doesn't do this, or allow a roundtrip ticket with award one way & buying the other way.

Was this issue addressed with senior management in Atlanta at the last Delta Do?
__________________
Getting there isn't half the fun - it's all the fun.
cmh flyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 11, 4:19 pm   #53
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: check foursquare
Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia & MM, SPG Plat, Hyatt, AA, VX, :rolleyes: titanium, PWP!
Posts: 13,550
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmh flyer View Post
Was this issue addressed with senior management in Atlanta at the last Delta Do?
I think Robertson said "he'd look into it"... I haven't heard anything since, has anyone here heard anything?
__________________
The unofficial SkyMiles slogan: what have you done for us lately?
itsaboutthejourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 11, 5:52 am   #54
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: check foursquare
Programs: Delta Cubic Zirconia & MM, SPG Plat, Hyatt, AA, VX, :rolleyes: titanium, PWP!
Posts: 13,550
Continental Announces One Way Awards and United Award Chart Integration

Meanwhile, SkyMiles is _____________
__________________
The unofficial SkyMiles slogan: what have you done for us lately?
itsaboutthejourney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 11, 6:22 am   #55
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
Posts: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney View Post
oreo2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 20, 11, 6:44 am   #56
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Programs: DL DM. EK Gold. UA1K. BA Silver. SPG Plat. HH. Diamond.
Posts: 260
As a Delta partner, AF has one way awards. The only problem with AF is the taxes... but then again, i only use their Biz class 50% off awards, and i end up with a RT biz class ticket for 50k miles.
oreo2222 is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 2:39 pm.