Intra-island award flights in Hawaii?

Old Jul 27, 2010, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM
Intra-island award flights in Hawaii?

NW used to offer intra-island flights on Hawaiian Airlines for 5,000 miles each-way. Does DL offer the same?

And if you aren't departing from Continental US/Alaska/Canada, where can the award charts be found?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 4:07 pm
Suspended

Delta does not believe in rewards charts.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 5:55 pm

Programs: DL 2MM GM
Providing consumer information only lead to complaints when you do not comply with it.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, car rental, hotel, etc.
So what's the answer?
Old Jul 27, 2010, 7:45 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
It's 10k SkyMiles round-trip in coach. Delta probably has the worst HA availability of all of HA's major partners.

These awards can be booked online, but I've never been successful at finding much availability that worked for me.
Old Jul 27, 2010, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM
There are no flights available for the day requested.

Oh-for-my first eight attempts. Unbelievable.

So while we're on the topic (Hawaii), is DL a decent carrier to stick with if I'll be there for the next four years? Currently have about 300K miles banked amongst the four family members, and I'll be SE through 2011 at least, having earned 28K MQM's so far this year.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 1:35 am

Programs: Recovering Delta SkyMiles Addict--Now Gold with AAdvantage
DL's upgrade possibilities for Hawaii-based pax are limited to upgrading with miles, and that is further limited to fare classes that exclude the lowest priced tickets. If you check this forum, you will generally see at least two active threads about how worthless DL SkyMiles have become. DL has even been getting bad press on the value of the FF program.

The actual product DL offers to and from Hawaii is pretty good on the A330 aircraft out of MSP, DTW, and ATL. There is a 763 out of SLC, but it has domestic F seating rather than the nicer international BE seating. Otherwise, they use a lot of 757's of varying vintage.

I am happy with AA. I have yet to fail to get an award flight I can live with to the mainland at their lowest AAward level. In fact, on my last four free flights I was able to get the exact dates I wanted (in both directions) on three of them with a shift of two days on the fourth. Upgrades are limited, but at least they have them on a generally reasonable level, depending on your status. Check aa.com or the AA forum for details. I am also fond of CO's aircraft and service from HNL to and from IAH and EWR, but I don't like their FF program as much as AA.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 9:12 am

Originally Posted by The Truth Commission
And if you aren't departing from Continental US/Alaska/Canada, where can the award charts be found?
As pointed out previously, you won't find it posted anywhere.

https://www.delta.com/skymiles/use_m...eage/index.jsp

According to DL.com: "Awards not originating or terminating in the Continental US, Alaska, or Canada often require more mileage." How much more? Who knows...
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:01 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by The Truth Commission
There are no flights available for the day requested.

Oh-for-my first eight attempts. Unbelievable.
Get used to it. Vast majority of days it's so. DL seems to have some major blocking of HA in place. On HA on virtually every day there are some award flights at the low mileage (7500 one way in case of HA), though usually just 5am, 6am and 10pm, 11pm departures. On DL you can sometimes may be get it one way, but then nothing return, even for multiple weeks in a row... either major intentional blocking of HA (to make it essentially impossible to get such an award flight), or just DulltaMatic being its usual buggy and useless self.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 11:20 am

Here's another recent thread asking the same question...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...oa-ogg-ha.html

It's got a little more information for those interested.
Old Jul 28, 2010, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA GS
Hawaiian Airlines not freeing up award tickets

Award ticket blocking may be on Hawaiian's end.

I tried booking an award ticket (via United) between HNL/OGG (Sept flights). As a United 1k, I was able to reach an experienced United agent who told me that my chances are very slim. She had very limited sucess in getting award tickets. The only award tickets she has secured were either early morning or late evening. Ever since Aloha went out of business, Hawaiian has been very stingy about award tickets.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:20 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Curious what the latest is on Intra island travel on HA?

I tried to book HNL-OGG RT for travel in June and was initially quoted 12.5k RT SM but when I tried to complete the booking I received the dreaded "We're sorry. One or more of the flights you selected just sold out. Please search again to view and select alternate flights. " I rinsed/repeated several times and continued to receive the "We're sorry...." message.

Does anyone have an update? Thanks in advance!
Old Feb 3, 2011, 10:27 am

I'm trying to book a flight to eruope and am getting the same error. I think it's delta.com that's broken. I called in and the agent said the flights repeatedly offered on delta.com are not available for purchase.

Originally Posted by hockeystl

I tried to book HNL-OGG RT for travel in June and was initially quoted 12.5k RT SM but when I tried to complete the booking I received the dreaded "We're sorry. One or more of the flights you selected just sold out. Please search again to view and select alternate flights. " I rinsed/repeated several times and continued to receive the "We're sorry...." message.

Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:06 am

Programs: Former PM now a kettle :(
Originally Posted by hockeystl

As another option:
We just returned from Hawaii (Maui and Oahu) and flew island air out of the West Maui Airport (JHM). They have rt's for about ~120 but we booked last minute and paid ~100 ea for a one way. National Car also dinged us another $27 to drop the car off in Kaanapali instead of OGG.
Old Feb 3, 2011, 11:16 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, DL SkClub LT, Marr LT Plat, IHG Plat, HH Diam
Update
I called the DM Desk and the agent somehow found a way to get it booked for us. It was (2) seats at 12.5k and (3) seats at 15k for the HNL-OGG RT

Not the most optimum use of miles but since DMs have free/no fee changes, I went ahead and booked. I will likely end up redeeming CO miles at 10k each but wanted to get seats locked in now.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.