Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

how do I find where my flight is coming from

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: HertzPC; Delta-SILVER; Marriott-PLATINUM; Choice Hotels-DIAMOND

I have had 2 flights cancelled due to weather in the last 5 weeks or so.

The airport I was flying from and into was OK, but the flight coming into where I was flying out of was cancelled.

How can I find where my flight is coming from and check it for delays or cancellations?

Jim
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:41 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Home/home.do or go to Delta's website and click on Flight Status.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: HertzPC; Delta-SILVER; Marriott-PLATINUM; Choice Hotels-DIAMOND
Originally Posted by yohanson
http://www.flightstats.com/go/Home/home.do or go to Delta's website and click on Flight Status.
I know how to check MY flight. I want to know the number of the one arriving at my departure airport! Where is it coming from?

In other words; assume the same plane starts at JFK and goes to MEM and then to BWI and then to CVG. I am going from BWI to CVG, how do I find the first 2 flight numbers?

Jim

Last edited by jak71454; Feb 2, 2011 at 10:10 am Reason: clarity
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:01 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
this is one of the really nice features that CO offers, but it takes some sleuthing with DL and while it isn't too difficult in a smaller airport, I'd say it would take a whole lot of time for one of the hubs, or even DCA, my home.

Unless there is another FTer out there who has figured this out and will share.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:04 am

www.flightaware.com will do it for you. Punch in the flight number, and on the right there will be a link that says "track inbound flight". I think it's a little less reliable for Connection flights, but for mainline I think it works pretty well.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:04 am

It is never a given because aircraft can be swapped if there is a mechanical or other issue. If it is a Delta mainline flight I have found using Flightaware to be helpful because there is a link you can click to see where the plane is coming from. I will also look at Delta.com on the day of the flight and work backwards based on gate assignments. For example I could see my DCA-JFK flight previously operated CVG-DCA and MEM-CVG (was having trouble finding out stuff prior to it getting to MEM) which allowed me to track the aircraft
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:05 am

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
Check the airport's Website and see if you can match up the arrival gate and departure gates. Of course if you're on an RJ that pulls up to a gate that is used by more than 1 plane, that could be tough. For me at IND, this is largely the way I go about doing it.

Also, if you're signed in on FlightAware, I have noticed that there's now an option to track the incoming flight. This is largely accurate except for instances where DL subs a plane for a very late arriving plane which has happened to me previously.

Would be really nice if DL took a hint from CO's site re: flight status.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 10:36 am

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by jak71454
I have had 2 flights cancelled due to weather in the last 5 weeks or so.

The airport I was flying from and into was OK, but the flight coming into where I was flying out of was cancelled.

How can I find where my flight is coming from and check it for delays or cancellations?

Jim
May I ask how you know that your airport was OK? There are a number of conditions like ceiling, tail/crosswinds, visibility, RVR, MU's on the runway etc etc etc. It could very well be your airport - whether it is obvious or not.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
I know how to check MY flight. I want to know the number of the one arriving at my departure airport! Where is it coming from?

In other words; assume the same plane starts at JFK and goes to MEM and then to BWI and then to CVG. I am going from BWI to CVG, how do I find the first 2 flight numbers?

Jim
Whoops, I got it mixed up with http://flightaware.com/.

Last edited by yohanson; Feb 2, 2011 at 11:10 am
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

Jim
He was not talking about My Flight.

There is a flight status search and by putting in your flight it will show all segment of that flight number including incoming and outgoing airports.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:34 am

Programs: Delta DM, HHonors Diamond, MR Platinum
Originally Posted by CGNC
Check the airport's Website and see if you can match up the arrival gate and departure gates. Of course if you're on an RJ that pulls up to a gate that is used by more than 1 plane, that could be tough. For me at IND, this is largely the way I go about doing it.

Also, if you're signed in on FlightAware, I have noticed that there's now an option to track the incoming flight. This is largely accurate except for instances where DL subs a plane for a very late arriving plane which has happened to me previously.

Would be really nice if DL took a hint from CO's site re: flight status.
I use an app on my Droid called Airport Remote, and view the arriving flights by gate. If I'm scheduled to fly out of gate A6, I look at the arrivals for A6, and then track the inbound flight.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by preadmor
I use an app on my Droid called Airport Remote, and view the arriving flights by gate. If I'm scheduled to fly out of gate A6, I look at the arrivals for A6, and then track the inbound flight.
Flight aware is quicker and works on a Droid.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL -DM / 2MM, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum
Originally Posted by tentseller
He was not talking about My Flight.

There is a flight status search and by putting in your flight it will show all segment of that flight number including incoming and outgoing airports.
If I just did what you said, the flight status menu still does not show where the flight is coming from. What am I missing here????

I typically use www.flightcaster.com to track flights.
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by trlaura
If I just did what you said, the flight status menu still does not show where the flight is coming from. What am I missing here????

I typically use www.flightcaster.com to track flights.
What is your flight number and date?
Old Feb 2, 2011, 12:49 pm

Programs: DL -DM / 2MM, HH - Diamond, Marriott - Platinum
Flight #4239

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.