Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest upgrade list you've experienced?

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2010, 1:38 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Yet another reason why I HATE Sky "Priority". Zone 1 is now half the plane!
Old May 7, 2010, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Hmmm... now to find a wheelchair or baby to pre-board and beat out the SkyPriority folks.
Old May 7, 2010, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA, Marriott
Originally Posted by skoenig
With people bring on larger carry-on bags to get around the checked baggage fees, and the total exceeding what the overhead bins were designed to hold, more and more people try to get on board before their group is called. Airines still aren't cracking down on carry-on bag size. I've heard they don't want to get into arguments with the passengers with the big bags, figuring those who play by the "rules" (out of consideration for others) will just suffer in silence.
If they would crack down on those with too many carryons they'd have many benefits: increased revenue (maybe they could end up reducing the per/bag checked fee), faster boarding, and those in the last boarding groups would be able to bring on at least some luggage on packed flights.

Most people (including myself) know that you don't need to play by the "rules" of checked baggage b/c it's rarely enforced. The minimal chance that they'll call someone on bringing too much baggage outweighs the negatives for checking luggage (cost + time waiting for luggage).

I hope they consistently crack down on the carry-on luggage. It will make life better for everyone boarding the plane. Might even reduce how much people pack...resulting in less weight for the plane to move...less fuel required.
Old May 7, 2010, 2:48 pm
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Originally Posted by ucla99
If they would crack down on those with too many carryons they'd have many benefits: increased revenue (maybe they could end up reducing the per/bag checked fee), faster boarding, and those in the last boarding groups would be able to bring on at least some luggage on packed flights.

Most people (including myself) know that you don't need to play by the "rules" of checked baggage b/c it's rarely enforced. The minimal chance that they'll call someone on bringing too much baggage outweighs the negatives for checking luggage (cost + time waiting for luggage).

I hope they consistently crack down on the carry-on luggage. It will make life better for everyone boarding the plane. Might even reduce how much people pack...resulting in less weight for the plane to move...less fuel required.
Especially DL is very bad in even enforcing this rule "[Girl||elderly lady] if you cannot lift it, you cannot bring it onboard". I am always amazed on what pax bring onboard in terms of size and weight.
Old May 7, 2010, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
My wife and I purchased tickets on a roundtrip international and domestic trip,for mid-June (going) and early July (return), that included the opportunity to upgrade to Biz/First (paid with cash and miles). We got upgraded on all segements right away except for an Atlanta-LAX flight June 15. I was hoping we could get upgraded on that as well, but seeing this makes me think our chances could be slim to none. Oh well.

I take it you have an M or better and paid the miles to be upgraded?

You need to call in a few times and ask them specifically if the upgrade seats are available, and if they are then ask to be upgraded. The inventory for this is released gradually as DL thinks they will not sell out first.

I would try now, in a few weeks, and a week before your flight (unless you know somebody who subscribes to Expert Flyer and can check this for you).
Old May 7, 2010, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Hmmm... now to find a wheelchair or baby to pre-board and beat out the SkyPriority folks.
Don't I remember you telling me that you had a bad knee.....and needed extra time to board?? Don't forget to use the "Chester" limp when pre-boarding....lol.
Old May 7, 2010, 3:06 pm

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Let's give away more "Elite" status. Makes you feel really special, and a real reward for flying with DL. I think its time to make "Elite" or whatever it really is 50,000 mqms or above. That is ridiculous.
I agree and higher for the highest MQMs with a revenue quallifier in also.
Too many giveaways = to many elite= too many complaints about no upgrade.
Old May 7, 2010, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by OHDL1
Don't I remember you telling me that you had a bad knee.....and needed extra time to board?? Don't forget to use the "Chester" limp when pre-boarding....lol.
Problem is I keep forgetting which knee is the bad one.
Old May 7, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
In the old NW days in MKE the gate agent on an early morning flight to DTW announced something to the effect, "We will get to the 6 of you who are non-elites after boarding the rest of the plane." While he was jovial about it, he was serious. There were only six non-elites on the full A-320.

I assume all were elegible for an upgrade!
Old May 7, 2010, 3:22 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by CJKatl
Yesterday, while trying to SB for DTW-ATL,... Was more fascinated by the mid-fifties woman who insisted on standing at the end of the boarding rope letting each person get in front of her while she waited for Zone 4 to board... Hats of to the DFW gate crew, who handled this crush perfectly, never let anything get out of control or any customer get upset. MSP and DTW crews should be sent down to DFW to observe how the boarding process should happen.
Guess you enjoy DTW so much that you mistyped? . Maybe all DL GA's should be sent to DFW for training, not just those from former DL-North hubs. I have flown out of MSP hundreds of times and never recall any problems with any GA's there, ever.

And if I were in Zone 4 with that may elites, yep, I would probably try to be the first person in my zone to board. By that time overhead space would be at a premium. Most of us FF'ers with elite status forget what it is like to be a peon.
Old May 7, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL:MM, Marriott:LTT
Originally Posted by mike_plat
I would imagine SkyPriority is part of the problem on the DTW-ATL flight. How do you maintain order when there are at least 78 people in Zones 1 and 2, not to mention the speed bump/gate louse you mentioned?
Just let me make it very clear that there was actually no problem. Believe it or not, the boarding process, complete with the mass of people filtering through the funnel of the boarding pass scanner could not have been any smoother. The GAs managed it very, very well. Everyone was on the plane on time and the plane took off as scheduled. When the Jetway got crowded, the GAs let everyone know and they stopped scanning. Not a single passenger seemed the least bit irked. It was very well managed, orderly chaos.

The single "gate louse" was more of an amusement than anything else. You had to wonder why she planted herself where she did and didn't move, but even she didn't impede people getting on the plane.

Interestingly, the next flight, which boarded much in the same way, but only had fifty-something people on the UG list, boarded on time but took off about 20 minutes late. There seemed to be many carry-on bags being loaded down from the Jetway. The flight after that, which was the one I was on, only had about thirty people on the UG list, also boarded in the same way, but pushed back completely full but more than five minutes early. My seatmate commented that we were going to get to ATL at about the same time as the earlier flight.
Old May 7, 2010, 3:26 pm

Originally Posted by fti
Guess you enjoy DTW so much that you mistyped? . Maybe all DL GA's should be sent to DFW for training, not just those from former DL-North hubs. I have flown out of MSP hundreds of times and never recall any problems with any GA's there, ever.

And if I were in Zone 4 with that may elites, yep, I would probably try to be the first person in my zone to board. By that time overhead space would be at a premium. Most of us FF'ers forget what it is like to be a peon.
OMG - what a bad typo. It is DFW that did such a great job yesterday, not DTW. My recent experiences in DTW have been horrible, with the GAs seemingly going out of their way to purposely not do what they are supposed to so that they can tell anyone and everyone that the problem is that DL stinks. The GAs from DTW should to to DFW to see how it can be done well.

And before they made the Zone 3 announcement on that and the next flight, the GAs announced that there was no more room in the overheads and all bags would have to be checked.
Old May 7, 2010, 3:30 pm

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Problem is I keep forgetting which knee is the bad one.
Now that you mention it, the only pre-boarder on the plane with the huge UG list was a man who was walking with two canes. Maybe he was doing that because he couldn't remember which knee was the bad one?
Old May 7, 2010, 3:37 pm

Programs: The Mac Daddy of Heimlich County (and low-ball status)
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Let's give away more "Elite" status. Makes you feel really special, and a real reward for flying with DL. I think its time to make "Elite" or whatever it really is 50,000 mqms or above. That is ridiculous.
you're a PM, so you're more apt to get the upgrade. quit .....ing
Old May 7, 2010, 6:20 pm

My wife and I purchased tickets on a roundtrip international and domestic trip,for mid-June (going) and early July (return), that included the opportunity to upgrade to Biz/First (paid with cash and miles). We got upgraded on all segements right away except for an Atlanta-LAX flight June 15. I was hoping we could get upgraded on that as well, but seeing this makes me think our chances could be slim to none. Oh well.

With people bring on larger carry-on bags to get around the checked baggage fees, and the total exceeding what the overhead bins were designed to hold, more and more people try to get on board before their group is called. Airines still aren't cracking down on carry-on bag size. I've heard they don't want to get into arguments with the passengers with the big bags, figuring those who play by the "rules" (out of consideration for others) will just suffer in silence.
ATL-LAX is usually loaded with elites. My upgrades clear less than 50% of the time - probably more like 25-30% - but I am only GM. Some days of the week are better than others (tues-wed in my personal experience) and mid-day flights also seem to be a bit easier. I would just keep checking with DL in hopes that they will clear that segment for you too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.