Is there a doctor or nurse on board?

Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:25 pm
Bzy
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
Is there a doctor or nurse on board?

Flew yesterday on DL 186 from DTW to BOS. 1/2 hour or so in, flight attendant asks, somewhat urgently, for a nurse or doctor. My travel partner is a nurse practitioner and raised her hand to help.
The ill passenger has passed out and required assistance. In the end, the passenger was able to walk off the plane, though she was met by EMTs. She was, by the way, very grateful and we were glad that she felt better.
Now this is the second time I've flown with my friend where her services as a nurse have been needed.
The first time, she got a verbal "thank you". And the person who needed assistance that time around was a flight attendant who was having a cardiac event. We actually had to retrain to Detroit, where we were met by emergency personnel.
Now my friend has NEVER asked or expected anything from Delta but this last trip made me wonder....would be nice if DL sent some sort of thank you letter. They know who she is....they took her info for their incident report.
Thoughts?
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:37 pm

Programs: DL GM, AMEX Business Platinum, AMEX Delta Reserve, DL SkyClub Member, Choice PM
I am a Physician and volunteer to help every time there is a need.
I have no expectations of a 'reward' from any airline.
The best reward is the ability to offer help to ensure a patient is alive till the EMTs take over. Most FAs are well trained and give great support in an emergency.
Just 'karma' would be great!!!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:44 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
My wife is a Physician, they told her thanks also, they do put note in your file...
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:45 pm
Bzy
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Platinum
She always volunteers and has no expectation. I was simply surprised last time that the airline didn't send a "thank you" letter.
I'm not suggesting there be a reward.
I just thought it was interesting.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by dd1612
I am a Physician and volunteer to help every time there is a need.
I have no expectations of a 'reward' from any airline.
The best reward is the ability to offer help to ensure a patient is alive till the EMTs take over. Most FAs are well trained and give great support in an emergency.
Just 'karma' would be great!!!
Those in the medical professions are obligated to respond to the extent of their abilities. Doing so with any expectation of a reward would be obscene.

I am a DVM, and that means no, I'm not a "real doctor". i just do dogs and cats. But I've jumped up to help when needed, and have done so on flights when there was no one from the human medical side available. My experience has been that FAs and those in need are always appreciative.

Reward? Compensation? Recognition? Sorry, not intrested.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
When I observed a medical emergency on board a DL TATL flight that resulted in a diversion, the highly qualified doctor who helped was offered a seat in BE for the remaining flight segment, which was entirely appropriate.

There have been reported cases, IIRC on other USA carriers, of people getting free upgrades in the mail later as thanks, sometimes after requesting something if the medical emergency prevents them from enjoying the flight. LH has a program where doctors register in advance and document their credentials in return for some FF benefits.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Dec 31, 2011 at 1:12 am Reason: Typos
Old Dec 30, 2011, 10:27 pm
mpp

I've helped out on flights before. People are of course appreciative.

Although, one time there were some angry passengers who were miffed that because I suggested we divert a flight (which the pilots did in very, very short order....I had no idea a mainline airplane could land so quickly) they missed their connection. I think these idiots made a point of speaking loud on their cell phone so I could hear why it was just "ridiculous" that we had to divert to get the ill passenger (who was having a stroke) off the plane.

I didn't expect anything from Delta (except a reconnect on my connecting flight of course) but they did send me a nice Thank You letter and a travel credit....I think $200.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:14 pm
Used to be HSDebateCoach

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat, MR Plat Premier, Hertz Presidents Circle
I agree with the OP.

I do think that Delta should take a moment as a company to thank the medical professional who helped one of Delta's customers.

I understand that medical professionals do not expect nor in some cases want a "reward" ... but a written thank you note should still be sent. Medical professionals are giving back, and it's polite to say thank you when someone helps!
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:30 pm

Originally Posted by mpp
I've helped out on flights before. People are of course appreciative.

Although, one time there were some angry passengers who were miffed that because I suggested we divert a flight (which the pilots did in very, very short order....I had no idea a mainline airplane could land so quickly) they missed their connection. I think these idiots made a point of speaking loud on their cell phone so I could hear why it was just "ridiculous" that we had to divert to get the ill passenger (who was having a stroke) off the plane.

I didn't expect anything from Delta (except a reconnect on my connecting flight of course) but they did send me a nice Thank You letter and a travel credit....I think $200.
You should have said, "Don't worry, I'm sure we would have been delayed anyway by the coroner coming on board if we hadn't diverted." And said it loudly enough that the person on the other end could hear.
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:32 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
LH has a program where doctors register in advance and document their credentials I return for some FF benefits.
This is a particularly good idea that I think all airlines should copy.

I also learned from the other thread with the Delta pilot who answers questions that long haul flights have the ability to consult directly with physicians at some university hospital (I want to say University of Pittsburgh).
Old Dec 30, 2011, 11:46 pm

Originally Posted by DaDaDan
This is a particularly good idea that I think all airlines should copy.

I also learned from the other thread with the Delta pilot who answers questions that long haul flights have the ability to consult directly with physicians at some university hospital (I want to say University of Pittsburgh).
Yep, every Mainline aircraft has access to UPMC and their team of doctors, who advise over the phone about what to do and the recommended action, including diversion if warranted.

Accessable via those phones that were installed with the Gogo installations, a patch through ATL radio I believe, and SATCOM for those aircraft so equipped (I could be wrong there but I know the Gogo phones for sure)
Old Dec 31, 2011, 1:13 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC NW had a system to link to the Mayo clinic for advice.
Old Dec 31, 2011, 1:16 am

Any that are wondering....UPMC = University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Old Dec 31, 2011, 1:28 am

Originally Posted by OHDL1
Any that are wondering....UPMC = University of Pittsburgh Medical Center
Thanks, but we, or at least I, knew that. However, if we want to have fun, it could be

Unknown Platinum Medallion Consultant

or even

Unskilled Playful Medical Cretin
Old Dec 31, 2011, 3:52 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Medical professionals are part of the ham sammich.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.