Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

It's Baack: AmEx MR Transfer w/25K MQM's

Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:56 am

Programs: OnePass Infinite CO MM, PC Charter Lifer SkyMiles GM, MileagePlus
That Magic Word

Originally Posted by turkeyRIOO
You can get a better perceived value IF you are able to use miles for intl BE travel.
IF is the clinker here

Everything I've heard & read lately seems to complain

about availabilty & restrictions regarding "free" F INTL travel
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM, Marriott Plat Premier, HH Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by CHIC SILBER
Sorry but who is INGY

(Spend most of my time offending on the CO board)
Besides having a great website and a heart as big as FT, among other things, Ingy (Rick) is probably best known as the one who put together the Chicago DO last year. It was an incredible 2-day event with over 400 FTers. Ingy volunteered hundreds of hours to make sure everyone else had a great time. While others also put in volunteer time, it was Ingy who coordinated everything and FTers much appreciate all his efforts.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA CX AC
Originally Posted by pokeable
ill take them off your hands.
Sorry, planning on using them for trip to Australia
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:08 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Wow- surprised to see this back again- even if it is only for "first time" transfers.
A couple things to note:
1) you can link anyones delta to your amex membership rewards so creating a fake persons skymiles account and transferring for the 50% bonus should work. If you are feeling risky, you may be able to get them to merge a dupe account but I bet they'll be on the lookout for that
2) if you have a delta Amex, I recommend applying for a brand new platinum card, which you can get approved for separately.
3) once you have a platinum account, you can advance yourself up to 60,000 points instantly for free. The rules say you have to be a member for 6 months but the advance feature will work online
4) the gold card had a 25,000 signup bonus and np annual fee. You can advance yourself 15,000 miles with a gold card and buy extra Amex points for 2.5 cents a piece.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, AmExPlat
Originally Posted by thepointsguy
Wow- surprised to see this back again- even if it is only for "first time" transfers.
A couple things to note:
1) you can link anyones delta to your amex membership rewards so creating a fake persons skymiles account and transferring for the 50% bonus should work.
But exactly what good does have miles in a "fake person's skymiles account" do? Is the plan to then transfer those miles somehow into your own account?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Sentientx
Is this requirement for $100k income listed somewhere? I meet the FICO requirement but not that level of income. Is the deal a bust for me then or are there any other options? Thanks.
I was just approved with less than a $100K income (I've also had the SkyMiles Gold Card for about 2 years with a perfect payment record). I didn't get the automatic approval online, but they emailed me a few hours later.

This could not have come at a better time- I'm booking a RTW trip soon and with barely 180k miles, this will let me sit in business rather than coach!
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, MTA Rust, Hertz Five Star something or other
Originally Posted by BarbiJKM
But exactly what good does have miles in a "fake person's skymiles account" do? Is the plan to then transfer those miles somehow into your own account?
You can book an award for any from any account. Create a skymiles account in your dogs name and then book the award in your name. You won't get the MQMs, but it's still a easy way to the 50% transfer bonus
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:32 pm

Wonderful, I just got approved for amex rewards card. So it was so instant that as soon as I clicked submit button, it showed congrats message almost within 5 seconds (existing member of costco amex and delta gold amex and logged in my a/c for applying, so nothing much to fillup there). Not sure whether amex really pulled my credit or not.
Still pretty good deal after that big annual fee. Thanks all.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by baccarat_king
a 'bit' off topic, but for evaluation/valuation purposes; what $ value (approximately, of course) would one put on 50K AMEX MR points?
I'd conservatively value 50k Amex MR at $1k. There are some amazing transfer values like roundtrip Upper Class Virgin Atlantic NY-LHR for 63,000 points when transferring to ANA. Amex sells points at 2.5 cents a point if you need more for an award.
I personally can't put a price on the value of being able to top up a number of my FF accounts instantly.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 1:58 pm

Programs: Amex FHR elite travel agent, Ritz Stars, Hyatt Prive, Four Seasons Preferred Partner and others
Originally Posted by thepointsguy
I'd conservatively value 50k Amex MR at $1k. There are some amazing transfer values like roundtrip Upper Class Virgin Atlantic NY-LHR for 63,000 points when transferring to ANA. Amex sells points at 2.5 cents a point if you need more for an award.
I personally can't put a price on the value of being able to top up a number of my FF accounts instantly.
I agree with the $0.02 valuation and obviously it can't exceed $0.025 since you can buy them directly for that amount (still a good deal in certain circumstances).

Even in this case if you were to buy them you would get 75k delta miles for $1250 and 2 years of status. Not a bad deal at all.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This deal sounds interesting. I assume buying the coins is a method to easily cancel out the $1,000 purchase without incurring S/H charges, etc. For people who have done this, how does that work? You get the coins and you just bring them to your bank and ask them to deposit them?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by Sez_Who

* Free companion ticket

That's a lot of bang for the buck to me but YMMV.
where do you see info about this free companion ticket? the only mention I saw was if you purchase an int'l business class ticket through the amex platinum travel service.

also, someone mentioned $200 worth of airline fee reimbursements, where is this mentioned on the amex site?
Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bradfrancini
This deal sounds interesting. I assume buying the coins is a method to easily cancel out the $1,000 purchase without incurring S/H charges, etc. For people who have done this, how does that work? You get the coins and you just bring them to your bank and ask them to deposit them?
It really is amazing. When you have time, do a search on Mr Pickles. For now, you might find the answer in this thread...

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-shipping.html
Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA Gold, MR Plat
Originally Posted by inagaddadavida
where do you see info about this free companion ticket? the only mention I saw was if you purchase an int'l business class ticket through the amex platinum travel service.

also, someone mentioned $200 worth of airline fee reimbursements, where is this mentioned on the amex site?
ok, i googled around a bit and found the answer on the $200 reimbursement, but still wondering about the companion ticket.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 3:51 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by inagaddadavida

Read down the first column for the benefits. It lists the companion certificate...

http://www201.americanexpress.com/ge...p-reward-cards

The $200 reimbursement was started last year. Don't see it listed in the benefits but it is nice though there are some limitations. I'll post the link that explains it if I can find it on their site.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.