Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Jan 8, 11, 8:39 pm   #1
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Delta overweight baggage fee?

How much is the charge fee for Delta overweight baggage?
I was charged $25+$90 for one 65lb baggage.
On the Delta homepage website, it says the charge is $90 for one overweight baggage. Does that mean that there would be and additional $90 fee to the $25?
Penguin Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 11, 8:43 pm   #2
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Enn Why Cee
Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Posts: 1,466
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

I am afraid so - if you do not have elite status or a Delta AMEX card. The $25 is for the first 'piece' of baggage. the 90 is because it weighed over 50 lbs

pretty hefty if you ask me, but fact of life

if you can, pack a backpack on the way back - and check in online. the fees are slightly lower (maybe $2)

Last edited by goodandclassy; Jan 8, 11 at 8:48 pm.
goodandclassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 11, 8:43 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Atlanta
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Posts: 3,577
Yes....$25 to check the first bag plus $90 if the bag is overweight.
__________________
Delta Air Lines
This does not represent the opinions or beliefs of Delta Air Lines.
zsmith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 11, 8:49 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Anywhere I can hide from Delta's "enhancements"
Programs: DL PM Kryptonium Ham Sandwich GAMER, UA Plat, US, PC Plat, IHG Amb., SPG Gold, HH Gold, Nat'l Exec
Posts: 11,002
As others have already stated, this is correct.

From Delta's website:

Quote:
We try our best to accommodate all baggage needs; however, bags that do not meet our size and weight restrictions require special handling and additional fees.

Note that you will incur separate fees for exceeding our size, weight, and quantity limitations. For example, if an extra piece of baggage exceeds the weight and size limits, it will be subject to three fees: one for the extra bag, one for exceeding the weight limit, and one for going over the size restriction. Fees are charged for each additional bag, each way.
http://www.delta.com/traveling_check...gage/index.jsp
__________________
SkyMiles Devaluation Alert: RTW Awards Killed Effective 1/1/2015. See: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...oing-away.html
javabytes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 11, 8:53 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: MKE
Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Posts: 2,205
Penguin Mom

Welcome to FT. FWIW, if you're one or two pounds over, you'll usually get away with it. But the overweight fee is steep.

For next time, I'd suggest you get a scale from Macy's (or similar) so you dont' have a bad baggage counter experience. All that said, in MKE the 1st class bag check in does not weigh bags. Go figure.

Dave
__________________
Are we traveling together? Let me know...
http://www.ba97.com/ba97/calendar/ba97.asp
Davescj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 11, 4:54 am   #6
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Here, There, Everywhere & Occasionally GRR
Programs: DL-DM, PC-PM
Posts: 670
Welcome to flyertalk!!

The non-stated way around this is to check 2 bags that way less than 50lbs each. Total cost for 2 bags = $50 which is less than $115. You can send me a check for $65 when you get a chance
USAF_Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 11, 5:30 am   #7
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1
Overweight Sound System

We are travel to Nicaragua and taking with us a portable Sound System that weighs about 100 lbs. It's obviously overweight, but I am reading on the Delta website that I need to have media credentials to get this checked. I am a trainer, but not media. Does anyone have experience with this? Please email me, if so at janadaley@earthlink.net.
jdaleysc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 11, 9:20 am   #8
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: ATL Lost Luggage
Programs: Kryptonium Kettle, Hoping to reach TSADD (TSA Disparaging Diamond) this year; PC plat,former MR Plat
Posts: 2,398
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_Pride View Post
The non-stated way around this is to check 2 bags that way less than 50lbs each. Total cost for 2 bags = $50 which is less than $115.
I do this frequently... but my second bag is small enough to go inside the first bag. I travel to the airport with one bag, that typically ends up weighting 55 to 60 lbs. At the airport, I pull the second bag out of the first bag, and check them separately... so instead of transporting a single ~55 lb bag, Delta has to track and transport two bags, one ~35 lbs and the other about ~20 lbs. This doubles their likelihood of losing and/or damaging my luggage --and having to pay out for it, but the airline is the one making the stupid policy, not me!
RatherBeOnATrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 11, 9:27 am   #9
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Louisville, KY, USA
Programs: DL Platinum, CO Gold, US Platinum, Starwood Gold
Posts: 2,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain View Post
so instead of transporting a single ~55 lb bag, Delta has to track and transport two bags, one ~35 lbs and the other about ~20 lbs. This doubles their likelihood of losing and/or damaging my luggage --and having to pay out for it, but the airline is the one making the stupid policy, not me!
Stupid policy? Purpose of discouraging overweight bags is to protect those that have to handle them. Tracking two bags is not nearly as expensive as paying workers' compensation claims.
__________________
Have a great day.
KyRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 11, 9:30 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 8,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain View Post
I do this frequently... but my second bag is small enough to go inside the first bag. I travel to the airport with one bag, that typically ends up weighting 55 to 60 lbs. At the airport, I pull the second bag out of the first bag, and check them separately... so instead of transporting a single ~55 lb bag, Delta has to track and transport two bags, one ~35 lbs and the other about ~20 lbs. This doubles their likelihood of losing and/or damaging my luggage --and having to pay out for it, but the airline is the one making the stupid policy, not me!
It also results in an extra handling operation staffed by real people earning real wages and consumes a higher cube in the aircraft potentially displacing high margin cargo.

However, at the rates they are getting from others who are paying the high fees, it is still working in their favor.
Klm is Dead - Long Live KLM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 11, 10:48 am   #11
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Santa Monica and Siena
Programs: 10 MM + 2013, AA EXP,Lifetime AC ,Crown Room, Red Carpet,USAIR CLUB ,Hertz Plat, Hilton Dia, GS +++
Posts: 420
follow up baggage question - First Class Domestic flights

The Delta site says First Class can check up to 3 bags (great) - and up to 70lbs each (or is the 70lbs just for international flights).
First time on Delta in a long time tonight to SLC (bags heavy - ski gear)....

Many thanks,

Last edited by Cannonball Run; Feb 24, 11 at 10:50 am. Reason: change title to baggage question...
Cannonball Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 11, 10:52 am   #12
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: MSP
Programs: Delta Gold Medallion, Sky Club
Posts: 550
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cannonball Run View Post
The Delta site says First Class can check up to 3 bags (great) - and up to 70lbs each (or is the 70lbs just for international flights).
First time on Delta in a long time tonight to SLC (bags heavy - ski gear)....

Many thanks,

FC and Medallion members have a 70lb allowance domestically. Some international destinations have different restrictions. Very helpful for the multiple ski trips our family takes each year!
nogophers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 11, 1:49 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Location: Madison, WI, USA
Posts: 12,991
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshaikun View Post
Stupid policy? Purpose of discouraging overweight bags is to protect those that have to handle them. Tracking two bags is not nearly as expensive as paying workers' compensation claims.
I don't see that an overweight bag necessarily results in worker injury -- I'm sure they train their personnel not to try to lift them unaided -- and they're not trying to discourage overweight bags, they're trying to make money off them. Some of the fee compensates for the extra fuel and inconvenience, but most of it will be gravy. These kinds of fees are what made many airlines profitable in recent months.
PaulMSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 11, 3:56 pm   #14
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 1,590
Quote:
Originally Posted by USAF_Pride View Post
Welcome to flyertalk!!

The non-stated way around this is to check 2 bags that way less than 50lbs each. Total cost for 2 bags = $50 which is less than $115. You can send me a check for $65 when you get a chance
$50 if 2 people are traveling....$25 each. If there is just one customer...then it's $25 for bag one and $35 for bag two. Still better than $115. There is a little shop around the corner from the bag drop/ticket counter here that sells alot of small duffels for $16.99.....
OHDL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24, 11, 5:43 pm   #15
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,237
I always have a couple duffel bags in my suit case. Never know when I need extra space. If I'm traveling on stingy partners I'll bring a travel scale. If I'm irked at DL I'll pack a couple cases of bottled water and max out of baggage allowance.
motytrah is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 pm.