Is P the new M

Old Feb 24, 2011, 1:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM
Is P the new M

Last week checked Delta.com for flight CVG - LAS 3/2 - 3/5. Looked at price of M fare for miles...is was $1497. Checked next day same flights...on advance booking page checked economy discounted and was given P fare at $750. Today, checked CVG - ANC 4/1 - 4/3 and when searching M fare website returned P fare at $1750, $400 more than H fare. Just for fun checked multiple dates from multiple cities (SDF, CVG, JFK) and all M fare searches returned A or P fares.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by Denal1
Last week checked Delta.com for flight CVG - LAS 3/2 - 3/5. Looked at price of M fare for miles...is was $1497. Checked next day same flights...on advance booking page checked economy discounted and was given P fare at $750. Today, checked CVG - ANC 4/1 - 4/3 and when searching M fare website returned P fare at $1750, $400 more than H fare. Just for fun checked multiple dates from multiple cities (SDF, CVG, JFK) and all M fare searches returned A or P fares.
A and P fares are really a coach fare (Y/B/M/H/etc) with an instant upgrade. Though it's extremely hard to figure that out unless you know what to look for. And even then, since it's an "upgrade" fare DL could opt to knock you back down to coach for operations reasons without providing any compensation. I would only purchase them if the fare was very competitive and you don't mind getting F'd over if there is a IROP.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta DM MM
I probably didnt do a very good job making my point. I know that P and A fares are instant upgrade M fares. My point was that the two fares I was following for a few days suddenly converted to these upgraded fares at rates substantially below the previous M fare rates. I was wondering if this was just an unusual coincidence or if this was part of the FC monetization program to offer these discounted FC fares to anyone searching higher class fares. On the LAS flight, P fare dropped from $1600 to $750 and $1450 flight disappeared. On the several searches I performed, 10 in all, every Y,B,M fare search returned the P fares. (I was not logged in as PM). Unlike others, I dont blame Delta for trying to sell FC, just wondering if this was a new trend.
Old Feb 24, 2011, 4:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
In effect, a P fare is the old M fare plus $59 (or $29, $59, or $99, depending in the market).

CVG to LAS on 3/3 through 3/5 is showing P fares for $79 over H fares. The P fare is discounted 47% off of the full F fare.

You have just witnessed the FC monetization of that route.

BTW, full F is now $1117, which is cheaper than the original M you quoted at $1497.

I can't imagine why someone would have sprung for the $1497 M fare before, but could you imagine sitting next to him in coach after he found out that guaranteed FC seats were going for $587?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.