Collapse of services @ AMS Schipol

Old Dec 18, 2010, 4:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, CO, and AA
Collapse of services @ AMS Schipol

Some serious collapse of service have occurred at Amsterdam today and yesterday due to snow. People strandle inside plane for more that 8 hrs to be turn back to the gates; this morning 3 hrs waits to checkin at the business class/elite lines (I can't imagine how long for the economy checkin lines?); soo many people that KLM/Schipol closed the Checkin area by placing armed guys that stopped anyone from entering after 8am ( even if the person had confirmed tickets for flight after 11am or the early afternoon they were not allowed in. I do not know how long was this in placed, but if you arrived at 8am for a noon flight you were likely in trouble). Heard from other passengers that yesterday the Business lounge had to be closed to further passengers due to excess capacity (although this morning it is apparent that KLM did one thing right - they kept it open all night for those already in the lounge). Today the usual bottles of alcohol were absent from the lounge (were they all drunk last night? Or were they just pulled to prevent disorderly behavior?).

Today all delta flights from Amsterdam are again delayed or cancelled.

Those traveling economy or without elite status are having a Dutch nightmare. I must say that having Diamond level has been of great help with all the re-bookings, an with access to the lounge this morning. It's at times like this that having Diamond level is worth it.

As to KLM well most of their functions have been a total failure ( I did not mentioned that the online checkin system collapse yesterday - unfortunately when you try to check in on Delta.com from an AMS origination flight you are forwarded to the KLM check-in site which at least yesterday was of no use).

Weather happens nothing can control it, but when it hits you in the face, indeed is good to have the elite status.

This is just a view from one person so there must be more to this story. Anyone experience the last 2 days in AMS? If so share your story.

Last edited by ChamoLoco; Dec 18, 2010 at 5:26 am Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:25 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Lots of chatter about this in the KL Flying Dutchman forum.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hilton HH Gold
I was booked ATL - AMS - STR in BE yesterday. When arriving at ATL, I already heard that there were some problems at AMS, though I didn't know that it was so bad. Anyways, I went to the agent at the SC in concourse E, asking him what my options were. He refused to put me on standby for the direct flight ATL - STR (which was full in BE, I knew that) and also didn't have any information about the chaos at ATL. He also refused to put me on standby on any other connection (CDG, LHR..).

As at that time, I didn't know it was so bad at AMS, I waited at the SC and went to the gate at the boarding time. Upon boarding, the GA asked me what my final destination was - "you can't board that plane, sir". Ok, so I was told to go immediately to the ATL - STR gate, which was boarding at the same time. Not that I hadn't already anticipated something like that... The only seat was in Y, middle seat. Not the nicest flight, but I guess I have to be glad that I made it to STR without any delay.

Now, what can I expect from DL? I paid for a D fare and had to fly Y. I should at least get a compensation for that, right? Is it better to call the hotline or to write an email?

I know that these situations are hard to handle for the airlines employees, but it would have been nice if at least any person at the gate or on the plane had said sorry for the inconvience... I guess PM + BE-tickets aren't worth too much when chaos strikes.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 7:58 am

As you may have seen I was trying to take advantage of a VDB situation and get routed through AMS (not knowing about the chaos there). The agent on the other end of the phone almost punched me via the telephone and just said, "No. No. We can't fly anyone into AMS right now. We can't do that."

I then checked online and found out about all the troubles there. Good luck to all the PAX still trying to get out.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
It goes both ways.

I was stuck at IAD last night, and over the PA system, they were giving the final boarding announcement for the KL flight to AMS at 1:30 AM. Well, it least it got out.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 10:33 am

How much snow did AMS get?

The online news accounts NEVER give snow totals. If they would, it would really up us deduce just how bad things may or may not be.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:03 am
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by german_vielflieger
I paid for a D fare and had to fly Y. I should at least get a compensation for that, right? Is it better to call the hotline or to write an email?
Sending a physical letter via snail mail usually delivers the best results. Be specific in your ask. You might go to the website and find the lowest coach fare for ATL-STR for travel a few weeks out and ask for a cash refund equal to the difference from your fare - while you mightn't get this much, there's at least a basis for an ask.

Asking for unspecified compensation will likely result in some limited-use upgrade coupons or 'delta dollars.'
Old Dec 18, 2010, 11:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by german_vielflieger
Now, what can I expect from DL? I paid for a D fare and had to fly Y.
This is a clear cabin of service downgrade, with refunds governed by the Contract of Carriage. I have always found a reluctance to handle ticketing transactions (even refunds like this) via email; call.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:34 pm
Moderator: Flying Blue (Air France & KLM)

Programs: Flying Blue (AF/KL)
See this link for more information.

Gajan
Old Dec 18, 2010, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL PL, Hertz #1CG
Looks like things haven't improved much since the last time this happened, a whole two weeks ago. I was the first flight out of MME in 6 days, and missed my IAD connection in AMS by just a few minutes. Fortunately I had booked the Sheraton there from the UK, and was able to get rebooked on the phone from the comfort of my hotel room. In the morning I hoofed it to the Crown Lounge nice and early, got the new BP and then enjoyed a pleasant breakfast before the madding crowd got there. It was ugly out in the check-in areas.

I would have thought a major hub like AMS would be equipped for weather of all sorts, but I guess this snow was pretty intense, even for them.

Good luck to all those suffering through this and the ripples down the system. Sure am glad to be home until January now...
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
I wish I were stuck in AMS. I would be sitting at the coffee shops enjoying life and making snowmans (and trying to avoid being run over by the silent but deadly trams).
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by minemapper
...I would have thought a major hub like AMS would be equipped for weather of all sorts, but I guess this snow was pretty intense, even for them...
No, AMS had what would have been considered in MSP a light dusting a few years ago, but because of only one operational de-icing machine and general lack of sufficient snow equipment, the whole airport eventually had to shut down. I was on a plane that waited in line over 4 hours for de-icing, in vain. Then I spent hours on the fringes of a mob at the transfer desk waiting, again in vain, for rebooking or a hotel room. At around 10pm, all the agents behind the desks just left, letting us fend for ourselves. I guess it was Heineken time. I got a meal voucher, but most people didn't. By then only one restaurant was open, so I had another long wait in line. Spent the night there, without even a chair to sleep on (all taken). Entirely unpleasant.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
I worry about this as I fly to AMS Jan 10. While I know that's 3 weeks out, Jan is NOT knowing for being a great weather month in Europe. The kick: I am in AMS long enough to transfer to NBO. Since I fly via DTW, I could pray for LHR and change to KQ (rather than the AMS - NBO on KLM)....but.......who knows what is going to be open/closed on any given day.

Dave
Old Dec 18, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Mar 21, 2013 at 5:03 pm
Old Dec 18, 2010, 6:40 pm
VIB

Originally Posted by jetta2.0t
A B1 standby (invol standby) and an upgrade standby (using PMU certs or miles) were both cleared into BE on the STR flight yesterday.
I thought there weren't any standbys allowed using miles or certificates on international flights.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.