Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta overtakes AA at RDU

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by indufan
I think that was BenA's point in that they could pressure those OALs. One of Delta's strongest assets domestically is their superior network. And when CO left SkyTeam, they lost a big chunk in South Texas. It's really the biggest hole in their network right now.

AUS would be fine and probably has better facilities to handle a focus city operation. But, nor anyone here I suspect, has any data on whether there is profit to made there. Most of the fares that I see into and out of south Texas are some of the lowest of anywhere in the country (sans to/from BRO). That, of course is due to the WN effect and a generally lower prevailing wage, the latter or which is a double edged stone. They have to offer lower fares but they can get employees to work for them for less money too.
Not enough gate space in AUS to do anything meaningful.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, USAirways Silver, Hyatt Gold, Marriott Silver, Omni Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by ma91pmh
Back in the 70s I think RDU was considered an AA hub.

Between AA cut-backs over recent years and Delta's aggressive expansion this year... including the DBEQM promo that AA ended up matching, and several new routes, DL overtook AA this year to be the second largest carrier out of RDU (behind WN - didn't realize how far ahead they were as the no 1)

As an RDU based flyer, seems I was not alone in my move from AA to DL this year

http://www.rdu.com/aboutrdu/stats.htm
RDU was an AA hub in the early 90's. Got some state gov't subsidies to try and keep them there, but basically AA dropped the hub idea and Midway moved in to try it until after the dot-com bust.

Not sure how aggressive DL will be, as Southwest seems intent on expanding. DL did add 3x daily to MCO recently.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA PP, Hyatt DM, Marriott SE, SPG Gold
Actually I believe most ATL pax did the 4-hr drive to BNA rather than the 8-hr haul to RDU. Certainly this one did Though the ones that did it thru RDU probably flew up rather than drove and pumped the pax #s even further.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:03 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
We'll see how long it lasts. Delta added a bunch of flights this year but has already dropped LAX-RDU (for the third time) and their "new" RDU-MCO flight is merely a resumption of a dropped flight. If things stay this way through December, 2011 I will be delighted, but also surprised.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:25 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by CMK10
We'll see how long it lasts. Delta added a bunch of flights this year but has already dropped LAX-RDU (for the third time) and their "new" RDU-MCO flight is merely a resumption of a dropped flight. If things stay this way through December, 2011 I will be delighted, but also surprised.
I agree. I don't see how some of the flights they have started will last. RDU-BDL/STL are two that come to mind. It will be interesting to see how next year goes.

And for the umpteenth time I really wish they would make RDU a complete focus city by resuming SLC service.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:39 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by TTT
I agree. I don't see how some of the flights they have started will last. RDU-BDL/STL are two that come to mind. It will be interesting to see how next year goes.

And for the umpteenth time I really wish they would make RDU a complete focus city by resuming SLC service.
^ Yes, it would be great to have SLC back...miss that flight.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hertz PC, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by TTT
I agree. I was happy with RDU-LAX, but I would probably be much happier with RDU-SLC -- it's tough having to make two connections to some of the smaller spots on the west coast.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DaveNC
I agree. I was happy with RDU-LAX, but I would probably be much happier with RDU-SLC -- it's tough having to make two connections to some of the smaller spots on the west coast.
And I think that would benefit Delta much more too.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 5:38 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
About 390 Highway Miles from ATL to RDU

Originally Posted by DLAtlPdx
Actually I believe most ATL pax did the 4-hr drive to BNA rather than the 8-hr haul to RDU. Certainly this one did Though the ones that did it thru RDU probably flew up rather than drove and pumped the pax #s even further.
Staying on the I-85, getting on at Virginia Avenue (Exit 73), 104 miles to SC, 106 miles to NC, then about 180 miles to RDU.

I was fascinated with the fact that RDU is only 20 minutes less by air than BWI from Atlanta (55 minutes ATL-RDU, 75 minutes ATL-BWI). I think that the airline mileage is 357 ATL-RDU; 576 ATL-BWI. Raleigh is about 250 miles from Washington by road.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 6:25 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA E- inhabitant

Last edited by jetta2.0t; Mar 21, 2013 at 4:55 pm
Old Dec 29, 2010, 7:17 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FAY CRJ-200
^ Yes, it would be great to have SLC back...miss that flight.
Originally Posted by DaveNC
Even with the E175 it would be a good route. I don't know about the performance issues at SLC but the great circle map shows 1500nm and the standard E175 range is 1800nm.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 7:08 am
Original Poster

Programs: A few
I would LOVE to see RDU-SLC return. As it stands WN's RDU-DEN is the only direct decent ski trip!

According to local biz rag Triangle Business Journal RDU-LAX is the most requested route, but I am sure they could make SLC work.

Thinking about it if WN can make PHX and DEN work don't see any reason DL can't make LAX and SLC work

Funny quote from about.com section on family ski resorts:

6 of 8
Prev Next
Family Skiing in Utah
"Photo © Teresa Plowright"

Alta Ski Resort.

short-cut to: family skiing in New England, Pennsylvania, New York State, Colorado, Canada.

"The Greatest Snow on Earth" - that's the slogan in Utah: Utah's Wasatch Range is part of the Rockies, and we're talking "champagne powder" -- very smooth, light, dry.

But that's not all Utah's got going for it. Salt Lake City is a major hub for airlines, and pretty much any city in the US has a direct flight of just a few hours to SLC
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:01 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by Davescj
Don't forget AA has some serious contracts in RDU....as in RDU - LHR.

AA has never gone bankrupt nor voided workers pensions.

AA has always been a conservative company, and will continue to be. Expect DFW to be a serious fortress. ORD is a massive AA hub. They have a large presence in NYC.

If I were AA, I'd be shopping.........probably for Jetblue.

Dave
...and yet their employees are the most disgruntled of any US carrier.

AA has been way too slow to adapt to the current market.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 9:12 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
Interesting....

Mainline 2010 YTD through November
DL 585,440
NW 30,816
Total 616,256

Mainline 2009 YTD through November
DL 449,920
NW 190,452
Total 640,372

Change 2010 vs 2009 YTD = (24,116)

So even with the added flights (mostly regional) and the DMQM promo, the combined entity is off by 3.6% year on year, correct? Not promising, unless I am missing something.

Edit - cfischer beat me by 6 minutes.......
Unless you include all the Connection Carriers, which RDU does not in the mainline numbers, the numbers have little value to the overall DL op. Even worse, many of the DLC carriers also fly for other carriers...

NW used to fly A319's to MSP, nowadays it's mostly CR9's, but there's 1-2x more frequency. So it's not apples to apples.
Old Dec 30, 2010, 11:25 am

DL could go along way to keeping me at RDU once the mileage promotion ends by improving the baggage unload - which seems to consistently be the worst in the system. A 30-40 minute wait is not unusual in the evening. Not sure if it is a terminal 2 layout problem, or a staffing and commitment problem but the result is pretty bad. On an arrival on US at terminal 1 earlier this week bags were out in < 10 minutes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.