Wiki Posts
Search

Delta overtakes AA at RDU

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: A few
Delta overtakes AA at RDU

Back in the 70s I think RDU was considered an AA hub.

Between AA cut-backs over recent years and Delta's aggressive expansion this year... including the DBEQM promo that AA ended up matching, and several new routes, DL overtook AA this year to be the second largest carrier out of RDU (behind WN - didn't realize how far ahead they were as the no 1)

As an RDU based flyer, seems I was not alone in my move from AA to DL this year

http://www.rdu.com/aboutrdu/stats.htm
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:43 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
I wonder how much that had to do with the DMWM promo, lots of extra flights thru that airport.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:50 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
totally not partially thanks to a bunch of ATL pax driving up there to fly three round trips to Sydney

with Delta hammering AA in RDU/STL and UA/CO not budging from ORD... I would hate to be American right now.

anyone think we might see a Texas focus for Delta to drive the final nail in the coffin?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 8:59 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by ma91pmh
It wasn't the 70's. Airline deregulation didn't happen until 1979. In the 70's, there were few hubs. MSP and PIT were one of the few. Some airlines did have some concentration of flights, like UA at ORD but banks of flights connecting wasn't as common. Even Pan Am had a "hub" at JFK but little domestic feed.

AA made RDU a hub in the late 80's at the same time Nashville was chosen. Some said it was silly to have two new hubs so close together. AA's explanation was that BNA was the hub for connecting the Midwest to Florida and the South and RDU was for the East Coast.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ma91pmh

Between AA cut-backs over recent years and Delta's aggressive expansion this year... including the DBEQM promo that AA ended up matching, and several new routes, DL overtook AA this year to be the second largest carrier out of RDU (behind WN - didn't realize how far ahead they were as the no 1)

As an RDU based flyer, seems I was not alone in my move from AA to DL this year

http://www.rdu.com/aboutrdu/stats.htm
Looking at the numbers, it appears almost all the mainline "growth" by Delta at RDU is due to the merger with NW. (OT - love the divide by zero errors in the spreadsheet).
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by LBJ
Looking at the numbers, it appears almost all the mainline "growth" by Delta at RDU is due to the merger with NW. (OT - love the divide by zero errors in the spreadsheet).
in fact DL + NW is lower than in 2009.

Did the OP calculate Eagle and Comair etc. as well?
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:16 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Interesting....

Mainline 2010 YTD through November
DL 585,440
NW 30,816
Total 616,256

Mainline 2009 YTD through November
DL 449,920
NW 190,452
Total 640,372

Change 2010 vs 2009 YTD = (24,116)

So even with the added flights (mostly regional) and the DMQM promo, the combined entity is off by 3.6% year on year, correct? Not promising, unless I am missing something.

Edit - cfischer beat me by 6 minutes.......
Old Dec 29, 2010, 9:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by BenA
totally not partially thanks to a bunch of ATL pax driving up there to fly three round trips to Sydney
I did my TPAC runs from STL, thanks.

Let's see if DL sustains any momentum in STL/BNA/RDU/PIT.

It's fair to note that AA largely matched the DL focus city promo.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta Gold, Marriott Platinum, Amex Delta Reserve + Platinum MR. Y, I book.
Was not is.

If those ATL passengers return to there home port now that the DMQM deal is ending - AA may very well see those RDU numbers settle back close to normal. Especially now that I'm not making that 5 drive to RDU anymore.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Gold, DL PM, Hilton Gold
Don't forget AA has some serious contracts in RDU....as in RDU - LHR.

AA has never gone bankrupt nor voided workers pensions.

AA has always been a conservative company, and will continue to be. Expect DFW to be a serious fortress. ORD is a massive AA hub. They have a large presence in NYC.

If I were AA, I'd be shopping.........probably for Jetblue.

Dave
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
anyone think we might see a Texas focus for Delta to drive the final nail in the coffin?
I don't think it would drive any kind of nail but they definitely need something in SAT.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: AA Exec Platinum/MM, DL Gold/MM, Hilton Diamond, Accor Platinum, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by indufan
I don't think it would drive any kind of nail but they definitely need something in SAT.
AUS would be my choice, but I doubt DL sees a focus city opportunity anywhere in Texas. AUS and SAT are the only two options, and both are very heavily served by the other airlines with Texas hubs (AA, WN, CO).

It was no coincidence that three of the four double MQM cities were former AA hubs (BNA, RDU, STL). And the 4th (PIT) was a former US hub. But even if DL makes those four a success, it hardly drives a nail in anyone's coffin. Those cities are former hubs for a reason.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:16 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Aero A
It AA made RDU a hub in the late 80's at the same time Nashville was chosen. Some said it was silly to have two new hubs so close together. AA's explanation was that BNA was the hub for connecting the Midwest to Florida and the South and RDU was for the East Coast.
Wasn't there a term used by AA, something between 'focus city' and just plain 'hub' used to described BNA and RDU when AA was building them up? I seem to recall that the strategy in both BNA and RDU involved a a lot of F100's, recognizing that they needed smaller aircraft to make these cities work.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Davescj
Don't forget AA has some serious contracts in RDU....as in RDU - LHR.

AA has never gone bankrupt nor voided workers pensions.

AA has always been a conservative company, and will continue to be. Expect DFW to be a serious fortress. ORD is a massive AA hub. They have a large presence in NYC.

If I were AA, I'd be shopping.........probably for Jetblue.

Dave
While not filing for bankruptcy is a noble position, it hasn't helped AA. I think AA needs to worry about putting its own house in order before it goes shopping for another acquisition to poorly integrate.
Old Dec 29, 2010, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Stripe
AUS would be my choice, but I doubt DL sees a focus city opportunity anywhere in Texas. AUS and SAT are the only two options, and both are very heavily served by the other airlines with Texas hubs (AA, WN, CO).
I think that was BenA's point in that they could pressure those OALs. One of Delta's strongest assets domestically is their superior network. And when CO left SkyTeam, they lost a big chunk in South Texas. It's really the biggest hole in their network right now.

AUS would be fine and probably has better facilities to handle a focus city operation. But, nor anyone here I suspect, has any data on whether there is profit to made there. Most of the fares that I see into and out of south Texas are some of the lowest of anywhere in the country (sans to/from BRO). That, of course is due to the WN effect and a generally lower prevailing wage, the latter or which is a double edged stone. They have to offer lower fares but they can get employees to work for them for less money too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.