IFE on Delta

Subscribe
Does anyone know how often they switch the IFE? It seemed like they were doing it quite frequently but for the last 6 months there have been the same movies/shows and I've gone through them all, at least twice.
According to Sky Magazine, "Digital media loading takes place between the 25th and the 5th of each month." However, I've noticed that some content is new but some movies seem to "carry over" month after month. But they seem to be pretty good with changing out the TV shows.
Quote: According to Sky Magazine, "Digital media loading takes place between the 25th and the 5th of each month." However, I've noticed that some content is new but some movies seem to "carry over" month after month. But they seem to be pretty good with changing out the TV shows.
All the TV shows they have on there now are the same as September.
Quote: Does anyone know how often they switch the IFE? It seemed like they were doing it quite frequently but for the last 6 months there have been the same movies/shows and I've gone through them all, at least twice.
You mean you've actually been on a DL flight where the IFE is working? Even if they aren't broken, they usually need to be rebooted 3 times per flight at least. Kind of ruins the whole "theater" like atmosphere.
Quote: You mean you've actually been on a DL flight where the IFE is working? Even if they aren't broken, they usually need to be rebooted 3 times per flight at least. Kind of ruins the whole "theater" like atmosphere.
They've all worked fine lately. The stupid BE equipment needs a good working over though. 1/2 the time the pull-out trays are sprung and the monitors won't stay up. Grrrr.
Although many movies carry over from month, there are at least 4-5 new movies every month. Each Sky Magazine shows the new upcoming movies for the next month in the Entertainment section. Like another poster mentioned, if you are traveling towards the end of the month or begining of the month, you might have the next months movies early or the same ones as the month before because of the transition period. Never had the same exact movies, with no new ones for months on out like the poster claimed.
Let me make it clearer. They might add/drop one of two movies each month but, as someone who consistently flies 8-10 legs per month, I pretty much have the screens memorized and the movies that are on there have been there since September, FOR THE MOST PART. The TV shows are all from the summer.
I can only take so much "Salt"
Watching Salt now. :-) And they don't change, I see the same ones, but luckily Christmas Vacation this month to make me chuckle.
Pass the Salt
Quote: I can only take so much "Salt"
That movie was shown in both directions LAX-NRT (747-400) in early December, and also on an eastbound SLC-BWI (757 w/o AVOD) in mid-November.

The best AVOD in the system is on the 777LR; unbelievable number of movies, both recent releases and the classics.
Quote: They've all worked fine lately. The stupid BE equipment needs a good working over though. 1/2 the time the pull-out trays are sprung and the monitors won't stay up. Grrrr.
Yea, you're right. It's been getting better. To be fair, I'm referring more so to the old NWA BE IFE than I am to Delta.

The 777LR is really nice. Had one a few weeks ago for the first time and it was a dream. I actually decided not to pop an Ambien on that flight and instead enjoyed a couple of movies.
A330 AVOD Movies Poor
Flew 264 MSP-AMS on 12/26. Haven't flown DL in a while (mainly on AC these days). Service and food was better than expected in J. However, the AVOD was terrible. I don't remember such a poor AVOD product when still NWA. Why are there so few movies and such a limited TV selection?
Quote: Flew 264 MSP-AMS on 12/26. However, the AVOD was terrible. I don't remember such a poor AVOD product when still NWA. Why are there so few movies and such a limited TV selection?
The A330 AVOD system currently in use is the same system that was in use by NWA. So, if it is horrible now, it was probably horrible then.

I agree with others that the best AVOD DL has is on the 777LR.

I would add, the domestic AVOD with satellite TV is a very close second.

It would be nice to get the AVOD standardized across the fleet.

MO
Quote: The A330 AVOD system currently in use is the same system that was in use by NWA. So, if it is horrible now, it was probably horrible then.
Yes, but the poster was complaining about the lack of content. It's possible DL is not fully utilizing the AVOD storage capacity in order to save on licensing costs. The 777's may get more stuff due to the longer stages flown compared to the A330's.
Quote: The A330 AVOD system currently in use is the same system that was in use by NWA. So, if it is horrible now, it was probably horrible then.
The system is the same, but I find the selection is not. NW appeared to do a much better job of monthly refreshes in all movie categories. With DL I don't find a whole lot of new content on a month to month basis; this includes the PMNW and PMDL aircraft (although I don't have the pleasure of flying the 77L too often, mostly the 764 to LHR and 744s/77ERs to Asia).