Delta carry-on baggage weight limit

Old Dec 16, 2010, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Delta carry-on baggage weight limit

Could anyone give me the URL for Delta's carry-on baggage weight limit? I called Delta and confirmed that the weight limit is 40 lbs or less (international, Asia to USA) but cannot find that information in their carry-on baggage website (https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...ryon/index.jsp).

Thanks.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 4:16 am

Programs: DL-Kryptonium (DM+); HH-Diamond, SPG-Gold
https://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1926...riage_intl.pdf

page 67

Had to go to the Delta's Contract of Carriage.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: AA:LT Platinum DL:LT Gold UA:1P MAR:LT Titanium
Originally Posted by madraida
Could anyone give me the URL for Delta's carry-on baggage weight limit? I called Delta and confirmed that the weight limit is 40 lbs or less (international, Asia to USA) but cannot find that information in their carry-on baggage website (https://www.delta.com/traveling_chec...ryon/index.jsp).

Thanks.
Though you'd be risking having to check the bag and pay if it's discovered to be overweight, if the bag otherwise appears to be a normal weight and you are strong enough to handle it without looking awkward, you could try sneaking it through. I don't see how it would be noticed unless someone else handled it and it became obvious that way. I know how important is is to carry your iron workout dumb bells on board!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 7:39 am
formerly jameskwon

Programs: AA, DL, Bonvoy, WoH, HH
I've never seen Delta "forcing" a weight limit on carry-ons.
If it fits(over head bin), it flies.

Now if you happen to bring 70~80 pounds bag on board and place it in the overhead bin, and if the bin fall down apart, you are going to face rather serious consequences

FYI, typical bin can handle about 50~100 Kilos of weight per compartment.

Last edited by ControlTower; Dec 17, 2010 at 7:31 pm Reason: unit error
Old Dec 17, 2010, 12:05 pm
Suspended

DL Carry-On Luggage

Originally Posted by madraida

Thanks.
I have been flying DL for 25 years and I have never had my carry-ons chcked for weight. I have had that done by KL and AF, however.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:50 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by jameskwon
I've never seen Delta "forcing" a weight limit on carry-ons.
If it fits(over head bin), it flies.

Now if you happen to bring 70~80 pounds bag on board and place it in the overhead bin, and if the bin fall down apart, you are going to face rather serious consequences

FYI, typical bin can handle about 50~100 lbs of weight per compartment.
Standard placarded weight for a normal full size overhead bin is 85 lbs to 115 lbs depending on aircraft, and will hold three roll-a-boards if stowed wheels first/wheels out. This would indicate that roll-a-boards should be no more than around 25 lbs each, or around 12 kilos. How much is yours?!

There has been increasing concern from aviation safety groups - particularly in the UK - due to the push for more and more carry-on to go into the cabin and the largely unregulated nature of the weights.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 1:53 pm

Here's a hint your carry on is too heavy... YOU can't lift it over your head. Doesn't matter if you are male, female, old, young etc... YOU lift it and deal with it. If you know it's too heavy for you don't depend on the "kindness of strangers" CHECK IT! Stangers don't want back injury from your junke!
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
I have been flying DL for 25 years and I have never had my carry-ons chcked for weight. I have had that done by KL and AF, however.
Foreign airlines seem to get very excited about weighing your carryon if you go to the check in counter. I have never in my life ever had a carry on weighed by an American carrier
Old Dec 17, 2010, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by OrangeCountyCommuter
Here's a hint your carry on is too heavy... YOU can't lift it over your head. Doesn't matter if you are male, female, old, young etc... YOU lift it and deal with it. If you know it's too heavy for you don't depend on the "kindness of strangers" CHECK IT! Stangers don't want back injury from your junke!
I disagree. I'm perfectly willing to help others stow their bags. Hey, it gives one a chance to flex muscles and pose like a bodybuilder. The effect is kind of lost under my flab, but it's there in spirit.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
An advantage of using a back-pack instead of a roller.

I have never had my pack weighed even in places where the carry on nazis were prevalent.

It also carries more than a roller and can scrunch up in a bin as needed.
Old Dec 17, 2010, 5:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
I've had my carry-on weighed only when I'm flying on DL from overseas and another airline or contract employees do the check-in.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Crackerpup
https://a248.e.akamai.net/7/248/1926...riage_intl.pdf

page 67

Had to go to the Delta's Contract of Carriage.
Thank you very much for looking it up.
Old Dec 18, 2010, 1:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by exwannabe
An advantage of using a back-pack instead of a roller.

I have never had my pack weighed even in places where the carry on nazis were prevalent.

It also carries more than a roller and can scrunch up in a bin as needed.
I was going to use my backpack as carry-on because I'm used to international flight airlines that have a 15 lbs and below limit. However, when Delta phone CS told me the limit is 40 lbs, I thought "Wow, I can bring my roller and not have to carry a heavy weight on my back."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.