Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Old Dec 14, 10, 2:14 pm   #1

Choice Benefits Selection

I just achieved Diamond Medallion Status and now get pick two benefits for both 2010 and 2011. I have way more miles than I can use, the Sky Club passes no longer benefit me. I don't have anyone I want to gift gold status.

I assume the SWU still are a joke to try and use internationally, whenever I have tried to use them purchasing a business class ticket was cheaper than trying to buy a ticket that I could use an SWU for? I see there are some changes with KLM and Airfrance upgrades, is this still the case or can I actually use them now?

That leaves me with just the retail gift cards, but it seems to only allow me to pick one gift card, instead of being able to pick two cards.

Any recommendations, can I call to redeem more gift cards? Can I actually use SWU now?
jpcarlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 10, 2:17 pm   #2
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, lots of other programs
Welcome to FT.

A friend was only able to choose a 2011 benefit when he became PM earlier this week. Not sure why 2010 benefit was not there.
Old Dec 14, 10, 2:18 pm   #3

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Can you redeem for a gift card and a DL.com voucher? I also have a friend who would LOVE gold

The SWUS are still 'good' on YBM fares on DL - and certain KL and AF fares. For af (the greatest perk as reported here), you can go from Y to Y+, and better yet, from Y+ to J on AF TATL flights between most (but not all) US destinations and CDG...
goodandclassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 10, 2:23 pm   #4

Choice Benefits

I do see 2010 and 2011 so I do get to pick 4 awards total. Both seem to work, but I have to pick different categories from what I can tell.

I looked at flights to London for a trip in January and everything that was YBM class were more expensive than just purchasing a Business Class ticket without using the voucher. It always seems that way so I haven't every used them. I haven't tried the new far classes with Air France to see if it makes a difference. Anyone ever used a SWU for international travel?

JP
jpcarlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 10, 2:39 pm   #5

I hit PM last week for the first time, can someone please give me a heads up on how to claim the benefit. Thanks
cheesewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 10, 2:41 pm   #6

Try the search - there is a LOT of good information on here!

Many people have been successful in redeeming the SWUs on DL, AF, and KL...

The gist:
AF Y+ fares are reaosnable - south of $2k - and avsailability for "O" class, upgraded or award busienss is relatively good - far out or really clsoe to the flight

Not so sure about KL

DL - people moan and groan about the YBM decision of DL, but this is the fact of life. With advanced planning, like your exeprience probably, you can get cheaper discounted J fares with a confirmed seat. M+ fares, available clsoer to departure, would run you over 2K...

A new benefit is that you can standby with the SWU on DL on the day of departure, if booked in an eligible fare. Thus, even if no Z inventory shows up ahead of the flight, you sitll have the chance of getting a seat at the gate. Risky busienss and you'd be out a lot of money if you don't...

I guess that's basically it
Old Dec 14, 10, 2:42 pm   #7

www.delta.com/choicebenefits - log on and it should allow you to select as soon as your status updates to PM
Old Dec 14, 10, 2:49 pm   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodandclassy View Post
www.delta.com/choicebenefits - log on and it should allow you to select as soon as your status updates to PM

Got it thanks. Actually did a search right after I posted and found a link.
cheesewiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 10, 2:50 pm   #9

congrats on PM btw - exciting time Free award redeposits. More useful than I thought
Old Dec 14, 10, 3:44 pm   #10

Programs: DL PM; Co Gold; PC Plat; Hhonors Silver
I need some clarification:

I went from GM to PM this past Saturday. My understanding is that I should be able to choose a Choice Benefit for 2010 and for 2011. Yet, when I logged into the Choice Benefits page, I could only choose a benefit for 2011.

I sent DELTA an email and received the following response: "Status for 2010 was earned based upon your flight activity in 2009. In 2009 you earned XX,XXX MQM's. This made your status Gold Medallion for 2010. Choice benefits are only given to Platinum and Diamond Medallion members. You just earned Platinum for 2011 based upon flight activity this year. As a Platinum you are eligible for one Choice Benefits selection, which you have already chosen."

I though I have received PM status for 2010, albeit only for 3 weeks, and for 2011. Am I correct here? Should I be able to choose a Choice Benefit for 2010 and 2011 or just 2011? (thus, am I correct or is the DELTA agent?)

Thanks for any insight anyone can give.
domcharles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 10, 5:29 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like OP, I just achieved Diamond (for the first time), but I'm only being offered the choice benefits for 2011. What gives, and who would I contact to fix this?
PaulMSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 10, 5:32 pm   #12

does it have to do with the timing? i don't think it's fair they cut off or stop the '2010' benefit selection if you qualify in december 2010...

i qualified in mid-november, got both 2010 and 2011...
Old Dec 14, 10, 5:53 pm   #13
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Quote:
does it have to do with the timing? i don't think it's fair they cut off or stop the '2010' benefit selection if you qualify in december 2010...

i qualified in mid-november, got both 2010 and 2011...
OP and I seem to have qualified at about the same time, yet he gets choices for two years while I only get the ones for 2011. The cutoff must have been sometime yesterday. Probably 4:12:35 pm.
PaulMSN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14, 10, 5:57 pm   #14

knowing Delta... might as well

Would this be something worthy of Mr. Pinto's attention?

It's not a skymiles poromotion per se - but still...
Old Dec 14, 10, 6:10 pm   #15

Programs: DL PM; Co Gold; PC Plat; Hhonors Silver
Quote:
knowing Delta... might as well

Would this be something worthy of Mr. Pinto's attention?

It's not a skymiles poromotion per se - but still...

Kevin was taking care of a mis-posting of bonus miles and mentioned that an associate would take care of it because he was going to be tied-up all week. Considering that this is not a promo issue, I will not bother him on it. I replied to DELTA's response, but not expecting much.

Oh where, oh where are the SkymilesInsiders on here?
domcharles is offline   Reply With Quote