Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Consolidated: Upgrading on Alaska Airlines as a Delta elite

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 16, 2013, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: beckoa
If a Delta Gold or higher you are eligible for upgrades on most AS Flights.

DL does not upgrade AS elites to Hawaii, therefore AS does not upgrade DL elites to Hawaii.

Be sure to check your PNR on alaskaair.com for seat assignments. A quick call to AS with flight # and date can yield the AS PNR. Sometimes it takes 24 hours for this info to come from DL though. Your reservation should show First Class waitlisted if it has been requested.

Upgrades on AS are after AS elites are upgraded, and although happen at T-24, can happen up to a full day earlier (T-48).

There are no complimentary upgrades on award tickets operated by Alaska.
Print Wikipost

Consolidated: Upgrading on Alaska Airlines as a Delta elite

Search this Thread

Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bradfrancini
It may have been covered here but I didn't see...if I'm on a flight with two legs on AS (LAX-PDX-ANC and back), does the T-24 rule apply to the first leg and, if so, assuming U inventory was available on both the LAX-PDX and PDX-ANC legs, would I be able to upgrade via OLCI for both at that time?
Great question, and I've got no idea. I'll add it to the Open Questions list in the OP.
Old Feb 16, 2011, 9:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
My *guess* on the best strategy for connecting flight upgrades is to check in at T-24 for the first segment, then re-check in again at T-24 for the second flight if an upgrade doesn't clear during the first run through. (Remember, you get 5 attempts at OLCI.)

Does that match others' experience?
Old Feb 17, 2011, 12:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by arkangel
I was able to successfully upgrade my PDX-PHX flight last week on AS. When I booked the flight, EF was showing V=2 for the DL codeshare flight number 48 hrs. prior to departure. However, the DL agent couldn't confirm the upgrade. And my itinerary on dl.com showed the segment as "requested." Also, I was unable to even select a seat in Y.

I called AS and got their RL for my reservation. Armed with that, I did OLCI on their website, making sure that my DL Gold status was reflected in the reservation. During the check-in process, which I did about 12hrs. prior to departure, I saw a link about upgrading. Clicked on it and was immediately upgraded, even though U inventory was 0 before I started the process! So, all's well that ends well.
This is exactly how it works. U will always be zeroed out at T-24. You need to look for "F" seats. If F is 1 or more than you can get upgraded.

Supposedly AS is changing their back-end systems early this year to prevent this but for now it's still the case.

-RM
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
This is exactly how it works. U will always be zeroed out at T-24. You need to look for "F" seats. If F is 1 or more than you can get upgraded.

Supposedly AS is changing their back-end systems early this year to prevent this but for now it's still the case.

-RM
U is not zeroed out, its just masked under T-24... if there is F there may or may not be U within T-24... if one can see A space however, there is U, as A [saver award First] is a subset of U.

And AS does need to straighten this out... especially with DL elites receiving upgrades now.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:25 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beckoa
U is not zeroed out, its just masked under T-24... if there is F there may or may not be U within T-24... if one can see A space however, there is U, as A [saver award First] is a subset of U.
I've found this to not be true on some HI routes. Twice I called in, and there was plenty of "A" available (agents said so), but both times they told me that upgrades were not available at that time.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 1:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by GBadger
I've found this to not be true on some HI routes. Twice I called in, and there was plenty of "A" available (agents said so), but both times they told me that upgrades were not available at that time.
How were you planning on upgrading...?

DL elite status would not work, as its a flight to Hawaii and DL elites are not eligible.

Paying money towards the upgrade would not work unless on a higher fare class; Value Fare or higher, - YBM or H. Same with miles [if you were using AS miles.] during OLCI, one can upgrade at the gate on lower fare tickets.

My guess is that you were not eligible for an upgrade when you called based on status and/or fare purchased, so the agent said there were no upgrades avail at that time.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG
Originally Posted by GBadger
A class in not directly linked to U class. I think generally if A class is available, U will be too, but I've been watching a flight that has A, but no U for a while. Unless if beckoa meant under the 24 hour mark, A=U availability, that I don't know.

And just because I don't see it posted anywhere under "topic review:"
A class= First class award
U class= Complimentary Upgrade (pretty much the same as V class on DL I believe)
Old Feb 17, 2011, 5:54 am

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Just had my first experience on Alaska from SJD-LAX. When I booked it, Alaska put me in the very last row (aisle). I called Delta since it was a DL ticket and they requested a seat closer to the front since I couldn't change the seat online. I saw the upgrade request online for the flight, but really was just hoping for anything other than the last row. When checking in at SJD, the AL ticket agent, asked if I preferred an aisle or a window, which I said, "aisle" and was given the upgrade to F.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:33 pm

Programs: United 1P; Delta GM; SP Gold; AS MVPG; FPC Premier
Follow-Up on Certainty Regarding Companion Upgrades

Thanks for all the helpful posts. Once of the open questions that I haven't seen addressed is whether a companion to a Delta elite is also eligible for upgrade on Alaska Air. Does anyone know yet if this is the case? Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
How were you planning on upgrading...?

DL elite status would not work, as its a flight to Hawaii and DL elites are not eligible.

Paying money towards the upgrade would not work unless on a higher fare class; Value Fare or higher, - YBM or H. Same with miles [if you were using AS miles.] during OLCI, one can upgrade at the gate on lower fare tickets.

My guess is that you were not eligible for an upgrade when you called based on status and/or fare purchased, so the agent said there were no upgrades avail at that time.
While true in the rules, 6 agents confirmed that I was eligible, and 1 said I was not. While I suspect that the 1 was correct, I don't doubt that the other 6 *would* have upgraded me had U space been available. Others here have stated that they've been upgraded on HI routes by sympathetic GA/TA/Phone agents (PAs I suppose ). I specifically asked whether I was eligible, and was told yes by everyone except a LIH GA.
Old Feb 17, 2011, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT

And AS does need to straighten this out... especially with DL elites receiving upgrades now.
Sorry. Technically that is true..."U" is masked instead of zeroed out. However, to most people who are looking at ExpertFlyer or anything else, U will always be zero.

And so far I am 100% for upgrades when F>0 and A could be zero or anything else. Many times my upgrades happen when F was zeroed out and then opened up within 24 hours and ExpertFlyer notified me. Sure, AS could have put that seat into "U" but if the flight is already full up front why would they release the one "F" seat that just opened up to "U"? I'm not sure. Either way, the upgrades for me come when F>0.

Originally Posted by joshc40
Thanks for all the helpful posts. Once of the open questions that I haven't seen addressed is whether a companion to a Delta elite is also eligible for upgrade on Alaska Air. Does anyone know yet if this is the case? Thanks
Negative. No DL elite companion upgrades on AS.

-RM
Old Feb 19, 2011, 8:43 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Kevin Pinto sent me an email this morning letting me know he had not forgotten about my issue. We have been trading emails about the fact that AS system doesn't see me as platinum and the fact they can't seem to fix it. He informed me that he follows up with Alaska on a weekly basis regarding resolution. He also told me he has a meeting next week with them and is going to address it there too.

Great help from Kevin always! Doesn't get much better! Kudos to Kevin!
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:02 pm

Programs: Delta frequent flyer Gold Medallion Status
Am I Eligible For Upgrade on Alaska Air?

Looking at a flight from SEA to MCO. Flight is attractive because it is non-stop. I located flight on Delta web site, and ticket will be booked by Delta because I am flying first leg, between SLC and SEA on Delta metal.

Am I eligible for GM upgrade on Alaska Air metal? Flight is on March 28. Originates in SLC with flight #DL1857 and second leg is #DL8999 (operated by Alaska Airlines).

I do not want to automatically eliminate my chance of an upgrade if I cannot get one with Alaska Air. I would rather take a chance with Delta plane and change planes in ATL.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:11 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA 1P, AA fallen Gold, Marriott Gold, Priority Pass, Hertz #1 Gold
Yes you are. Call AS for your Alaska conf# and you can change yor seat also. It takes a couple of days before it says your Delta status is confirmed. There is a long thread in here with all this stuff. The general consensus is check in at t-24 to have a shot at the upgrade.
Old Feb 23, 2011, 3:16 pm

You are eligible, but I'm guessing that's a tough route to get upgraded on. Good luck!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.