Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old Dec 4, 10, 10:35 am   #1
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: BDL
Programs: DL Gold
Posts: 247
Award ticket in name of another person?

I'm trying to figure out if I can use my Skymiles to book an award ticket in the name of someone else? It's a little confusing because it does say the following:

Award Transfer

Miles may be redeemed for Award Tickets in the name of passengers other than the SkyMiles member, but Award Tickets are nontransferable once issued. Members are prohibited from selling or bartering Award Tickets.



It doesn't say that I must transfer my miles to another Skymiles member in order for that ticket to be issued to someone else or that the other person has to be a Skymiles member? If it says "Award Transfer", I assume that is the case but it's doesn't spell that out.
jeromyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 10, 10:52 am   #2
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Seattle
Programs: Delta DM, *wood Lifetime Gold
Posts: 235
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromyers View Post
I'm trying to figure out if I can use my Skymiles to book an award ticket in the name of someone else? It's a little confusing because it does say the following:

Award Transfer

Miles may be redeemed for Award Tickets in the name of passengers other than the SkyMiles member, but Award Tickets are nontransferable once issued. Members are prohibited from selling or bartering Award Tickets.



It doesn't say that I must transfer my miles to another Skymiles member in order for that ticket to be issued to someone else or that the other person has to be a Skymiles member? If it says "Award Transfer", I assume that is the case but it's doesn't spell that out.
There is no need to transfer the miles to the other person. You just buy a ticket with miles and enter their name when buying the ticket. They do not need to be skymiles members.
syd999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 10, 12:06 pm   #3
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: SFO/STT as often as possible
Programs: UA; Delta; US Air; BA Executive Club
Posts: 207
Quote:
Originally Posted by syd999 View Post
There is no need to transfer the miles to the other person. You just buy a ticket with miles and enter their name when buying the ticket. They do not need to be skymiles members.
Very easy to do, I "bought" my nephew a free ticket using some of my vast hoard (but getting smaller) of SkyPesos and he got an e-mail with the ticket info. He was not a SkyMiles Member. The ticket redemption showed up in my activity log. Just make sure you get their name spelled correctly.
CruzinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 10, 12:18 pm   #4
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: MN
Programs: DL GM, lots of other programs
Posts: 11,317
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromyers View Post
I'm trying to figure out if I can use my Skymiles to book an award ticket in the name of someone else? It's a little confusing because it does say the following:

Award Transfer

Miles may be redeemed for Award Tickets in the name of passengers other than the SkyMiles member, but Award Tickets are nontransferable once issued. Members are prohibited from selling or bartering Award Tickets.



It doesn't say that I must transfer my miles to another Skymiles member in order for that ticket to be issued to someone else or that the other person has to be a Skymiles member? If it says "Award Transfer", I assume that is the case but it's doesn't spell that out.
As stated, no need to transfer miles. Just book and when it asks for the name, enter his/her name. You will also need their birthdate in order to book.

Note that once you have the ticket issued and the miles deducted from your account, you can't then try to transfer the award to someone else.

Note too that you need the exact legal name as on their government-issued ID. Please don't assume what their name is. You may know him as James Smith but his legal name could be Steven James Smith and he just goes by James. Happens ALL the time.
__________________
My flight memory since 2006: http://my.flightmemory.com/friend1979
fti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 10, 12:44 pm   #5
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: BDL
Programs: DL Gold
Posts: 247
Much thanks!
jeromyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4, 10, 1:19 pm   #6
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: BOS
Programs: DL, US, B6
Posts: 3,119
You select the ticket you want, and you change the name from that in the SM account to the desired name when booking.
__________________
My FM
What you don't know, can hurt you.
N639DL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 10, 8:08 am   #7
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kingdom of the Sun
Programs: DL FO/MM
Posts: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by N639DL View Post
You select the ticket you want, and you change the name from that in the SM account to the desired name when booking.
This is incorrect.

OP, be sure not to click "I am Traveling" when booking.
Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 10, 9:13 am   #8
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (on a slow slide from DM) & proud KM!, UA kettle (former 1K/PP)
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by N639DL View Post
You select the ticket you want, and you change the name from that in the SM account to the desired name when booking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
This is incorrect.

OP, be sure not to click "I am Traveling" when booking.
What is incorrect about his instructions? That's the way I do it when I'm booking an award ticket for someone else.
flymonthly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 10, 9:19 am   #9
Suspended
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Posts: 700
If you could only book an award ticket for yourself, there would be only 8 Flyertalkers total and the rest of us would have to find something else to obsess about.

Last edited by dream7; Dec 5, 10 at 9:46 am.
dream7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 10, 11:38 am   #10
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Kingdom of the Sun
Programs: DL FO/MM
Posts: 3,140
Quote:
Originally Posted by flymonthly View Post
What is incorrect about his instructions? That's the way I do it when I'm booking an award ticket for someone else.
He implied that the name in the booking simply could be changed. That is incorrect.

If I Am Traveling is checked the system populates the ticket name fields with the FF's info and it cannot be changed.
Pharaoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 5, 10, 1:48 pm   #11
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (on a slow slide from DM) & proud KM!, UA kettle (former 1K/PP)
Posts: 1,120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pharaoh View Post
He implied that the name in the booking simply could be changed. That is incorrect.

If I Am Traveling is checked the system populates the ticket name fields with the FF's info and it cannot be changed.
If you want to remind the OP not to check the "I am traveling" box, that's fine. But N639DL should be "furiated" that you're saying he is incorrect when he's not.
flymonthly is offline   Reply With Quote
 
 
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 6:57 am.