Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

AMEX Delta Companion certificate Consolidated Thread

Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by strickerj
Yep, just went to redeem certificates and gift cards and clicked "add more" twice, and it gave me fields for 9 of them. I didn't actually try putting mine in and proceeding though.
Interesting. There definitely used to be a 3 FOP limit for DL, which usually effectively limited you to 2 GCs at a time (3rd FOP would be your CC for the balance).
Old Apr 20, 2017, 7:46 pm

Programs: Delta Plat Kool-Aid Drinker, Hyatt Diamond, SPG GM, Marriott GM, Hilton GM, and Priority Club GM
Originally Posted by hurnik
Just remember that you don't get the Reserve Cert until AFTER the first year. So I think it's a $450 AF? So you'll have paid $900 by the time you get one cert, so I guess it would depend on what flight you take if it's worth the BOGO in A/I (or whatever it is) for FC. Although the Platinum Amex gets you Skyclub for $27 each I think?
In the "Real World" the cert will actually appear in your account prior to AF being due for 2nd year. If you cancel after year one they will say they will void the cert, but I've yet to seen one example where they actually done. There is actually trick you, but i'm not going to play it out for you. Just think about it for a while and it should come to you.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 8:56 pm

Post purchase, you can now upgrade Companion Certs to Comfort or First Class, on a per segment or entire itinerary basis.

This is a new change that just rolled out.
Old Apr 20, 2017, 9:03 pm

Programs: Delta - PM, HH - Gold, SPG - Gold, Marriott - Plat
Originally Posted by WidgetTravels
Post purchase, you can now upgrade Companion Certs to Comfort or First Class, on a per segment or entire itinerary basis.

See post #794 .
Old Apr 21, 2017, 12:12 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold

Yes, already pointed out several times in this thread.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by miraclebear2003
See post #794 .
Sorry, I should've clarified. You can PURCHASE these upgrades now, not just complimentary.

Not sure if they can be done online, but they can definitely be done over the phone.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Sorry, I should've clarified. You can PURCHASE these upgrades now, not just complimentary.

Not sure if they can be done online, but they can definitely be done over the phone.
But how are they priced? Is the companion ticket credited as if it were paid?

I've found agents in the past who were perfectly willing to sell me an UG, it's just that the pricing was ridiculous due to the zero base fare for the companion ticket.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 5:55 am

Programs: Delta Diamond
Just used companion cert round trip Delta One. JFK to lax. Got the a330 on the outbound. Priced at 2100 for times available. Cheapest possible business class was 1800 on delta for 1 ticket and only specific departure times so small premium for using.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 6:54 am

Originally Posted by gooselee
But how are they priced? Is the companion ticket credited as if it were paid?

I've found agents in the past who were perfectly willing to sell me an UG, it's just that the pricing was ridiculous due to the zero base fare for the companion ticket.
The price for the companion is the same as for the primary.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:07 am

Yes. Just returned from a NY trip where we bought 2 (one was the companion tkt) F for the price of 2 normal coach fares.
Originally Posted by dontflydeltawithamex
I have a Platinum Delta Skymiles with AMEX card that "gives" a companion certificate annually as a benefit. This year I wanted to use that companion certificate to take my family out to Colorado to go skiing in February. I checked Delta on-line to purchase 4 tickets using FF skymiles and then tried to book 2 more tickets using the companion certificate. When I attempted to book the ticket I was told that the flight was not available in the Fare class requested. However, when I tried to book the ticket and "pay with miles" using the AMEX card and FF miles the flight was available. I checked the terms and conditions of the certificate and it states that all travel must be in the U or L class of service - which this ticket was doing. Well, an unwritten stipulation is that all legs of the trip must be in the U or L class of service even though the terms and conditions of the certificate do not state this. Moral of the story is this - don't buy the AMEX Delta skymiles card if you think you'll be able to use the companion certificate as a benefit. To make matters worse - I called Delta to file a complaint and they told me it was due to AMEX terms. So, I called and emailed AMEX - they in turn told me the certificate was the property of Delta. So much for companies being accountable for the products they sell. Once I use all my FF miles with Delta I will move my business to AmericanAirlines and never fly Delta again. I will also tear up my AMEX! Shame on you AMEX and Delta!!!
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The price for the companion is the same as for the primary.
Really? So the companion is treated as though they had paid for the Y fare and then just pays the difference to buy up? So, if I purchased a r/t main cabin companion fare for $500, and F was selling on that flight for $800, I could upgrade both pax for $600?

That's great to know. Also, could you tell us exactly what this is called in the system so that we can point confused agents in the right direction? Or will it just automatically price out this way?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Really? So the companion is treated as though they had paid for the Y fare and then just pays the difference to buy up? So, if I purchased a r/t main cabin companion fare for $500, and F was selling on that flight for $800, I could upgrade both pax for $600?

That's great to know. Also, could you tell us exactly what this is called in the system so that we can point confused agents in the right direction? Or will it just automatically price out this way?
Correct.

It's part of the new Upsell tool agents have.

Companion Certs weren't initially eligible for this from what I hear, but things got worked out with Amex.

Tickets issued in the past may need to be reissued for the Upsell to work.
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
I think I know the answer to this, but anyone successful using the cert in conjunction with Pay With Miles? I know you can't online but anyone able to do this through the Diamond Desk?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:16 am

Hmm, so does being able to purchase upgrades to C+ on an itinerary booked with the companion ticket apply to non-medallions too? Mine still stays the no-upgrade when I look at it, how hard is it to get that reissued so it might be eligible?
Old Apr 21, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by scongro
I think I know the answer to this, but anyone successful using the cert in conjunction with Pay With Miles? I know you can't online but anyone able to do this through the Diamond Desk?
I don't think this can be done but would LOVE to be wrong. I have never called into ask.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.