Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

an upgrade to Business Elite - transatlantic?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

an upgrade to Business Elite - transatlantic?!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Originally Posted by thrust
BUMP

Flying transatlantic tomorrow on DL. Delta.com seat map shows Business Elite at 25 empty seats out of 40. Economy shows 125ish empty out of whatever total.

Obviously some of those will be snatched up by people without seat assignments at check-in, re-routes, global upgrade certificates, mileage upgrades for M-class fares, non-rev employees, etc. But is DL really going to sell 25-odd BE seats over the next 12-18 hours?

I've read about DL offering one-way upgrades for $750 at online check-in, but I didn't get the offer.

Will DL start upgrading medallions on what are normally considered non-upgradeable fares?

Will DL allow the flight to go with, say, 10+ empty BE seats just because?

Seems like a waste if so, especially given that I'm willing to pay to upgrade... if only they'd offer.
DL will give OpUps to medallions if economy is oversold.

Yes, DL will allow the flight to go out with empty BE seats.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 9:14 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
BUMP

Flying transatlantic tomorrow on DL. Delta.com seat map shows Business Elite at 25 empty seats out of 40. Economy shows 125ish empty out of whatever total.

Obviously some of those will be snatched up by people without seat assignments at check-in, re-routes, global upgrade certificates, mileage upgrades for M-class fares, non-rev employees, etc. But is DL really going to sell 25-odd BE seats over the next 12-18 hours?

I've read about DL offering one-way upgrades for $750 at online check-in, but I didn't get the offer.

Will DL start upgrading medallions on what are normally considered non-upgradeable fares?

Will DL allow the flight to go with, say, 10+ empty BE seats just because?

Seems like a waste if so, especially given that I'm willing to pay to upgrade... if only they'd offer.
You can always pay to upgrade to BE by paying the difference between your fare and the lowest applicable BE fare that DL is selling when you make the change.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You can always pay to upgrade to BE by paying the difference between your fare and the lowest applicable BE fare that DL is selling when you make the change.
Thanks. Makes sense.

Care to comment on any of the other questions?
Old Nov 22, 2014, 10:50 pm

Thanks. Makes sense.

Care to comment on any of the other questions?
CarmenOM pretty much covered your questions.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 9:59 am

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
CarmenOM pretty much covered your questions.
Thanks all- don't know how I missed that response!
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DALelite
@ GypsyMay why would you talk on the plane about your complimentary upgrade? Not very wise of you. Delta probably now has lost one or two customers.
I am Mr. WFBF, but why on earth would DL lose customers? The Op Up is a great way to handle coach oversells...I wish DL would monetize it, but it serves a function nonetheless.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:37 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
I almost started my own thread when I found out last night that I had gotten an OpUp on my ATL-JNB leg. I have flown 10 and 12 hour legs in EC this year and don't mind it, but really did like the BizE upgrade last night. Service was very attentive. I always was able to get water when I needed it, and of course lying flat was quite nice when I wanted to sleep. I don't think it is the best Business product on the market, but it certainly is more comfy than coach! The nice thing about it for me is that is also the leg that will put me over from PM to DM when the credit for the flight is applied. And yes, I know I don't get bonus miles for an OpUp, it puts me over on the base miles alone.
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta DM; *A FO. UG since(1/1/15): 11/14
Originally Posted by CAETravlr
I almost started my own thread when I found out last night that I had gotten an OpUp on my ATL-JNB leg. I have flown 10 and 12 hour legs in EC this year and don't mind it, but really did like the BizE upgrade last night. Service was very attentive. I always was able to get water when I needed it, and of course lying flat was quite nice when I wanted to sleep. I don't think it is the best Business product on the market, but it certainly is more comfy than coach! The nice thing about it for me is that is also the leg that will put me over from PM to DM when the credit for the flight is applied. And yes, I know I don't get bonus miles for an OpUp, it puts me over on the base miles alone.
Sure one hell of a nice flight to get an opup on, what is it? 14 hours?
Old Nov 23, 2014, 11:53 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Delta Skymiles PM, AA ExPlat, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Ben and Jerry
Sure one hell of a nice flight to get an opup on, what is it? 14 hours?
I think it is scheduled for longer than that, but last night with a good tailwind, it was 14 hours and 15 minutes. Yes, it was an awesome flight to have that happen on, been a while since I have gotten a surprise that nice from Delta.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:19 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
So, can someone help me with this one. I am booked on an upcoming JFK-MXP ticket in 'O' fare bucket. What / how do I go about trying to get an upgrade, even if its just to EC? Noob to Delta, so I'm not sure if this question even makes sense.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BONVOY TIT
Originally Posted by banffflyr
So, can someone help me with this one. I am booked on an upcoming JFK-MXP ticket in 'O' fare bucket. What / how do I go about trying to get an upgrade, even if its just to EC? Noob to Delta, so I'm not sure if this question even makes sense.
You should be able to buy EC seats on the seat map.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

O is not a revenue fare class on DL. Sounds like you are maybe on an AZ ticket.
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:42 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Are you booking this with DL? if so, O class is BE award space, not coach. So your question about EC doesnt make sense. Are you perhaps using codeshare flights or taking a connection somewhere?
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:44 pm

Programs: AS; Aeroplan; Hilton (Diamond); Marriott (Platinum);
Originally Posted by rdurlabhji
You should be able to buy EC seats on the seat map.
I would have thought so too, but its all greyed out as "unavailable". This seems strange since the flight isn't until late March, and when you do a dummy booking EC seats appear available.

FYI its an O class ticket booked on 006 stock.

Last edited by banffflyr; Dec 19, 2014 at 12:45 pm Reason: Add info re: ticket stock
Old Dec 19, 2014, 12:49 pm

I would have thought so too, but its all greyed out as "unavailable". This seems strange since the flight isn't until late March, and when you do a dummy booking EC seats appear available.

FYI its an O class ticket booked on 006 stock.
Do all of the segments have DL flight numbers? Are any segments operated by carriers other than DL?

Something like DL 432 nonstop JFK-MXP in O class would be a BE award ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.