Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

an upgrade to Business Elite - transatlantic?!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

an upgrade to Business Elite - transatlantic?!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 31, 2010, 7:46 pm
VWE

Programs: SPG.plat Hyatt.Diamond. Delta.DM MillionMiler : UA 1P
I'm a noob and thus confused. how can I determine who's winning the emoticon contest here?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:19 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by DALelite
@ GypsyMay why would you talk on the plane about your complimentary upgrade? Not very wise of you. Delta probably now has lost one or two customers.

What are you even talking about?

Who said I was talking about my complimentary upgrade on the plane? Secondly, why would Delta lose one or two customers?

---------------------------

I've gotten used to those that don't like me sharing the good experiences I've had with Delta.

But I am not apologetic about it. I left American Airlines because I couldn't stand their service. I am not a fan of US Air. Continental never went anywhere I wanted to go frequently.

Delta hasn't been a bad experience for me. Because I read on FT, I had settled on the idea that I, as a lowly FO, would never get upgraded on any domestic heavy routes (which hasn't been that bad, since I do get upgraded to major hubs, just not all the time) and that I would NEVER, EVER, get upgraded internationally, because that's something that only happens in other airlines.

So, yes, when I do get upgraded, I do want to talk about it here, because the general feeling is that it never happens. If it can happen as a lowly FO...

Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:24 pm
Original Poster

Wait, wait, let me complain.

The "noise-canceling" headset was a joke. I carry my Bose set and they have served me well. Whatever they hand out in BE with the Delta logo on it must be a cheap imitation. I do like the fact that AA uses the real kind.

Another thing, while I loved that it was a true lay-flat (at least from what I could tell without actually checking) I was disappointed that it was so narrow. AA has wider BE seats. I shift a lot when I sleep and I felt very tightly encased in this seat.

Also, I have no idea what was up with the flight service in either one of the legs of my itinerary -- I had to beg for water! AA actually hands out water like it's going out of style.

Is that better?????
Old Nov 1, 2010, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by GypsyMay
Wait, wait, let me complain.

The "noise-canceling" headset was a joke. I carry my Bose set and they have served me well. Whatever they hand out in BE with the Delta logo on it must be a cheap imitation. I do like the fact that AA uses the real kind.

Another thing, while I loved that it was a true lay-flat (at least from what I could tell without actually checking) I was disappointed that it was so narrow. AA has wider BE seats. I shift a lot when I sleep and I felt very tightly encased in this seat.

Also, I have no idea what was up with the flight service in either one of the legs of my itinerary -- I had to beg for water! AA actually hands out water like it's going out of style.

Is that better?????
If you hate Delta so much why post here?
Old Nov 1, 2010, 10:12 pm

Programs: Delta FO, UA, AA
Nice benefit

My wife and I, both FO received op up on a midweek flight from PRG-JFK. Didn't get it until we were boarding in Zone 2. An amazing trip compared to the 767 going over in coach. Will look for crowded flights on our next trip to Europe in the Spring.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by avidflyer
If you hate Delta so much why post here?
I was being facetious because of the previous comments.

Originally Posted by ltcrkm
My wife and I, both FO received op up on a midweek flight from PRG-JFK. Didn't get it until we were boarding in Zone 2. An amazing trip compared to the 767 going over in coach. Will look for crowded flights on our next trip to Europe in the Spring.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA 1P (w/ no expectations whatsoever); Marriott Gold; Hilton Silver; Hertz Pres
Congratulations on the op-up, glad you enjoyed it! I've personally only had one ever, on a 17-minute 737 flight...so TATL is awesome!
Old Nov 3, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: Delta Silver (former GM, fighting way back), Paid Delta SC Member, Hertz Gold, Gold HHonors
Originally Posted by milst1
I fly TATL on SkyTeam frequently and I've been op-upgraded approx. 15% of the time on Delta legs, and just once (5%) on KLM legs. ....
I know some on FT become infuriated when they hear of Medallions getting TATL upgrades after paying sLUT fares, but I'm paying out of my own pocket so I don't feel a bit guilty crowding them in BE.
Like you, I've paid my own way (GM this year, not likely next) and have a 2:7 record ATL-MAN on op-ups. Do I feel guilty? Not at all. Haven't found the pattern (yet) though.
Old Nov 3, 2010, 1:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by RBrownTN
Like you, I've paid my own way (GM this year, not likely next) and have a 2:7 record ATL-MAN on op-ups. Do I feel guilty? Not at all. Haven't found the pattern (yet) though.
It takes a few years to figure out the Y overbook pattern as it relates to time of year. Look for events, holidays, school breaks.
I am batting 100% flying to AMS beginning of July and TPAC in May westbound and late Aug/beginning of Sept eastbound.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by tentseller
I plan my TATL and TPAC flying according highest load periods to increase my chance of Op-up. I am batting about 20% TATL and 35% TPAC.
Let's see... this year, I'm 20% paid TATL, 50% paid TPAC, 50% award TATL, and 9% paid US48-Hawaii (also upgraded one US48-Hawaii with miles and did a DOD paid upgrade on another).
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:44 am

Originally Posted by DanTravels
Let's see... this year, I'm 20% paid TATL, 50% paid TPAC, 50% award TATL, and 9% paid US48-Hawaii (also upgraded one US48-Hawaii with miles and did a DOD paid upgrade on another).
How'd you get a DoD upgrade?
Old Nov 4, 2010, 6:49 am
Suspended

It Happens

Originally Posted by GypsyMay
So, I am walking into the line after they call zone 1 and my boarding pass causes the machine to beep at me. This has happened before, nothing to worry about. I checked in early so maybe that was the problem.

But instead, I am pleasantly surprised when I received my upgrade to business class! And I had recently had a conversation where I mentioned that I liked Delta, but I was never going to get an upgrade internationally and I had accepted that fate.

I finally was able to experience Delta' business product.

Either there was an angel looking out for me or this was a full coach cabin for something like this to happen.

Less than a year ago, I was sitting next to a Diamond who was in the middle seat next to mine complaining that she - at her level - was never upgraded complimentarily. (Is that a word??)

Yay Delta. It made my week.
It has happened a few times to me on inexpensive economy tickets. Being a DM helps, I am sure.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by cmn.jcs
How'd you get a DoD upgrade?
If US48-Hawaii flights have seats empty up front, they announce at the gate that they're selling upgrades. $250 for west coast-hawaii, $350 ATL/MSP/DTW-hawaii, if I recall. I forget what SLC-Hawaii was. You have to be in an upgradable fare class, probably no LUT fares.
Old Nov 4, 2010, 9:53 am

Originally Posted by DanTravels
If US48-Hawaii flights have seats empty up front, they announce at the gate that they're selling upgrades. $250 for west coast-hawaii, $350 ATL/MSP/DTW-hawaii, if I recall. I forget what SLC-Hawaii was. You have to be in an upgradable fare class, probably no LUT fares.
Oh ok. I was interpreting DOD as Department of Defense, not day of departure.
Old Nov 22, 2014, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Platinum, HH Diamond
BUMP

Flying transatlantic tomorrow on DL. Delta.com seat map shows Business Elite at 25 empty seats out of 40. Economy shows 125ish empty out of whatever total.

Obviously some of those will be snatched up by people without seat assignments at check-in, re-routes, global upgrade certificates, mileage upgrades for M-class fares, non-rev employees, etc. But is DL really going to sell 25-odd BE seats over the next 12-18 hours?

I've read about DL offering one-way upgrades for $750 at online check-in, but I didn't get the offer.

Will DL start upgrading medallions on what are normally considered non-upgradeable fares?

Will DL allow the flight to go with, say, 10+ empty BE seats just because?

Seems like a waste if so, especially given that I'm willing to pay to upgrade... if only they'd offer.

Last edited by thrust; Nov 22, 2014 at 7:30 pm Reason: edit for clarity

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.