Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

When does Delta SkyMiles Silver status start and expire?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:22 am
Original Poster

I *know* this question must have been asked before, but my searches (on the forum or the Delta website) did not prove fruitful, or I am useless.

Anyway – simple – how long does Delta SkyMiles Silver status last from and to? The Delta website states something along the lines of “for miles earned before December 2010 your status will update in our systems on March 1, 2011”. What does that mean I am not sure about.

What happens then if I earn miles in February 2011? Will the status become usable straight away or in March 2012? (I think another thread sates that to be the case). And will it last until February 2012 or 2013?

Likewise, what if I earn miles later in the year, say, November 2011? Will they become valid in March 2012 and last until February 2013 or will they become available straight away and expire when?

Which is to say, someone who earns Silver status in February – does that status last 1.5 years as opposed to someone’s who has earned it in November of the same year?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Status starts right after you qualify and runs through February.

Ex.. If you earned Silver Status today, you would be Silver through, February of 2011, as part of the 2010 Silver Program, but would also be Silver in the 2011 program through February of 2012.

You earn on calendar year for the following Mar-Feb.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:32 am
Original Poster

Thanks - so status always runs for 1+ years until the second February away?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Yes, but be careful about it starting "right away." Usually DL flights post to your FF acount in about 24 hours and then you get the new status when the system next runs a sweep and recognizes your new status, typically 2 to 7 days after the qualifying flight, but it can take more time for MQMs earned on partners, through promos, or from AmEx to post. In the past, the sweep apparently occured weekly, on about Saturday, but now it is being run more frequently. In any event, do not expect the new status on the same or the following day.

Remember also that no rollover occurs unless you have more than 25,000 MQM in your account on January 1. So status-qualifying miles earned in November, for instance, are wasted unless you at least earn FO during 2010. MQMs earned in February are added to your rollover (if any) and count for earning status during the 2011 calendar year.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:24 am

This is my first year on DL (had been w Con OnePass for years) and am set to hit Silver on June 11 (after a 5 segment trip LGA-LAX). So I will have Silver until Feb 2013? Also, if, for example, I do not reach Gold in this calendar year, but earn another 15 or so segments, then beginning Jan 2013, those 15 segments carry over toward me re-earning Silver? Am I missing anything?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:52 am

Programs: WN,DL,AA,UA,B6,more!
Originally Posted by JTbeatsNYC
This is my first year on DL (had been w Con OnePass for years) and am set to hit Silver on June 11 (after a 5 segment trip LGA-LAX). So I will have Silver until Feb 2013? Also, if, for example, I do not reach Gold in this calendar year, but earn another 15 or so segments, then beginning Jan 2013, those 15 segments carry over toward me re-earning Silver? Am I missing anything?
You will be silver until the end of Feb 2014.

Segments do not roll over. Only any MQM's you earn over and above 25,000 (or over any medallion level) will roll over. I ended last year with a little over 36k MQM and 32 segments. I started 2012 with 11k MQM and 0 segments.

Foo

Last edited by foofiter; Jun 2, 2012 at 11:58 am
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by foofiter
You will be silver until the end of Feb 2013.

Segments do not roll over. Only any MQM's you earn over and above 25,000 (or over any medallion level) will roll over. I ended last year with a little over 36k MQM and 32 segments. I started 2012 with 11k MQM and 0 segments.

Foo
OP will be silver through Feb 2014.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by LBJ
OP will be silver through Feb 2014.
Woops! Typo.

Fixed. Thanks!
Old Jun 2, 2012, 2:46 pm

What's the typo? Haha I'm confused! Does my silver expire end of feb 2013 or 2014?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 3:29 pm

What's the typo? Haha I'm confused! Does my silver expire end of feb 2013 or 2014?
Feb 2014. I edited my original post.

You will be silver this year and all of 2013 and thru end of feb 2014.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 3:41 pm

Ok got ya..so I know for any medallion level, you basically keep that level for the following 2 februarys?
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL FO
Ok got ya..so I know for any medallion level, you basically keep that level for the following 2 februarys?
Exactly.
Old Jun 4, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If by "hit Silver" you mean 25,000 MQMs or 30 segments, you will be Silver through February 2014 and any MQMs over 25,000 will rollover at the end of 2012. If make Silver through a promo or status challenge, those rules apply and it might only be through February 2013.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 9:03 pm

Programs: MAR Lifetime Platinum, Delta Plat., IHG Spire Amb., Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
I just hit 50,000 mqms, but the Delta site is still showing me as silver, but has "future status" as gold medallion. I'm confused. I thought status was awarded as soon as the mqm threshold was reflected on DAL's site. What am I missing? I have a lot of travel in the next month and hoped to be recognized as a gold.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by Milhous Gloriosus
I just hit 50,000 mqms, but the Delta site is still showing me as silver, but has "future status" as gold medallion. I'm confused. I thought status was awarded as soon as the mqm threshold was reflected on DAL's site. What am I missing? I have a lot of travel in the next month and hoped to be recognized as a gold.
It's a two stop process. First the miles must post, in this case to reach 50,000 MQMs. Then status is bumped up when DL's system does a sweep, probably within a day or so after the miles post. Be patient.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.