Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Amusing email response regarding my inedible sandwich

Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

Here's the complaint I sent: Unfortunately, purchased the turkey breakfast sandwich on croissant for $7.00 and was beyond disappointed. nothing but mayonaise and one slice of 1 mm thin turkey meat that was more fat and gristle than actual meat. This item was inedible. I would ike the purchase price for this mayonaise sandwich refunded pls. thanks. On the other hand, the turkey sliders I had for lunch were decent enough.

Their response: Thank you for sharing your concerns regarding the sandwich you purchased onboard. On behalf of everyone at Delta Air Lines, I sincerely
apologize for your disappointment with the quality of the sandwich and
appreciate the opportunity of responding to you.

I am truly sorry for your dissatisfaction with the turkey breakfast
sandwich you consumed on your recent flight. I cannot express how
depressed I am to learn that the sandwich was inedible.
Passenger
comments like yours are critical in evaluating our snack selection, and
our future course of action is based on feedback like you have provided.
Please be assured your concerns will be shared with our Onboard Services
leadership team.

Further, I strongly feel that our Medallion members should not be at a
loss under any circumstances
. Accordingly, I will be requesting a check from our bank in the amount of $7.00. Please allow up to 30 business
days for the check to arrive in the mail.

Ms. reddawngrl, thank you again for writing. Your loyalty as a Platinum
Medallion member means the world to us. You are an integral part of our customer base and we are always interested in your feedback. We deeply value your business and look forward to our continued business
relationship.

Good Lord!!! Brevity and facts only from me and book-length response from them. And it seems she's more distress over the sandwich than I actually was. Thanks for the $7 refund though!
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:52 pm

did you ever think the writer was having a little fun?
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:56 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.3MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by Centurion
Me thinks so
Old Jan 21, 2011, 1:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Impossible. This is the evil Delta corporate monolith dedicated to fleecing the sheeples. They are incapable of fun.

Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

you know, as one who loves veiled sarcasm, I can't believe I totally didn't see that. me thinks you are right too. And I must add, if it were on a serious note, better to be overly apologetic than wah-wah go cry me a river over the sandwich get lost.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I'm actually kind of impressed that they're going to cut you a check for the refund. I would have expected, at most, 1,000 SkyPesos, or something equally useless.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Depressed?.. this letter sender should see a psychologist or something. Having a job like that responding to complaints can make a person like the letter sender suicidal.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
On the plus side, you know you did not get an automated response and someone actually took the time to write that. Unless they're subbing out to 401 scammers in Nigeria. The only thing missing was the poor English.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I forgot to mention that the letter seems to me to be a template with a few fields of customized sentences attached. Does Delta hire english majors to do up their letters? I would doubt this very much, at least on the letter OP shared with us.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 2:40 pm

I love the response

You made my day reading this . Being depressed over an inedible sandwich lol. Man was I depressed when I had a overcooked Cinnamon roll-ROTFL. It was the worst thing in the world and had tears coming down my face. Hard as a rock. The thing cost $1.25 and I told the cashier and he said oh well. I told the cashier we'll see about that. Well I only took a small bite and had the receipt. So I went and told the manager and he came with a bag of 4 cinnamon rolls and apologized.

Well I'm glad you got your refund. $7 dollars would have better been spent on one of Delta's Signature drinks. The lesson learned here is if you are really hungry either get something from the airport or make your own sandwich and use the $7 for a signature drink.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:17 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by danielonn
Well I'm glad you got your refund. $7 dollars would have better been spent on one of Delta's Signature drinks. The lesson learned here is if you are really hungry either get something from the airport or make your own sandwich and use the $7 for a signature drink.
My lesson is to get something from the airport, make your own sandwich and use the $7 for a sandwich at your destination.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM, American GLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
This literally made me laugh out loud.

I am willing to bet this is an auto-response or hybrid of such (auto-response kicked out for QA evaluation that wasn't actually evaluated).
Old Jan 21, 2011, 3:41 pm

Programs: PC Pl, UA 1K, CC Gl
Seems like computer generated
Ask them for some miles now.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
This is part of a standard template (always customized to each passenger's circumstances, though - but following the same flow and structure) that takes emphatetic, I think, a bit too far.

IMO there should be at least three levels of empathy in those templates/responses:
a) mild
b) moderate
c) extreme
now it only has (c) - extreme, that is, in many cases, a bit over the line.
Old Jan 21, 2011, 5:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimrpa
I'm actually kind of impressed that they're going to cut you a check for the refund. I would have expected, at most, 1,000 SkyPesos, or something equally useless.
I got a food item of similar lousy quality refunded before. Also got this: In first, I had my cell phone plugged in for charging and when the plane powered down and back up before take off, it shorted my charger. thank goodness not my phone but the charger fried. I emailed asking for $8 to replace the charger. They declined but sent the usual "goodwill gesture" of $100 voucher. Hey, who am I to complain I didn't get what I wanted?

Originally Posted by fti
My lesson is to get something from the airport, make your own sandwich and use the $7 for a sandwich at your destination.
I usually do pack a whole goodie bag or buy something too but we got pressed for time. I very rarely buy food on board. And plus I don't drink.

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Depressed?.. this letter sender should see a psychologist or something. Having a job like that responding to complaints can make a person like the letter sender suicidal.
Agree. I considered emailing the rep back and offering the services of my husband, who is a therapist, but figured it wouldn't get to her.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.