Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

We Were Delta Air Lines Gate Agents for the Morning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

We Were Delta Air Lines Gate Agents for the Morning

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2010, 11:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Dovster
That depends on which member of the crew is willing to nest with me.
I knew you would say that. However, among the many functions of GAs, I don't think pimp is included (and I hope not, as I'm doing the "Walk a Mile with ACS").
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:07 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
Thanks for the wonderful thread.
As an ex-Gate Agent for a different AAirline, it really brought back the memories .. good and bad.

Dad had to drive me to work one day and I asked if he'd like to come out to the gates for awhile with me. Long story short... 2 flights in/out, 3 "terminating aircraft" arrivals (on 2 gates), 10 minute stint working the "service desk" during downtime on my gate... at 8pm I said "Common, let's go". He was obviously excited and impressed with the "multi-task" part of the job. The conversation was something like...
ME: Common, let's go
DAD: Where are we going now ??
ME: I don't know about you, but I'm going home.
DAD: But I thought you had a 5 hour shift ?
ME: Yep, it's 8:03pm already which means I'm late clocking out so will have an auto-generated "nasty gram" tomorrow in my mail box.

I had thought he'd leave after I started getting busy with flight #1. I didn't realize he had no idea how fast the time was ..errrr... flying.

Steve
Old Sep 28, 2010, 12:09 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by N639DL
Oh I don't like being on my feet for long periods of time. But if it's for a job like that, it's worth it.

I like something 8am to 4pm as a working shift, but most other things work. Good luck with becoming the Fleet Manager -- takes a lot of senority to work there!
Have you compared these preferences to the actual working day of a DL station manager in Florida? More importantly, how you thought about what would be involved in the sequences of jobs that would qualify one for promotion to a station manager position?

ADDED: I would guess that most newly promoted station managers have spent time as GAs, supervisors of GAs and TAs, and/or redcoats, as well as positions in the operations area of DL. They all probably have at least a good degree from a recognized and accredited college or university and can communicate well in written and spoken English.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 28, 2010 at 12:15 am
Old Sep 28, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: DL Skymiles FO, Marriott Rewards, Hilton HHonors, Hertz #1 Club Gold
Quick question for Canarsie and ATLDiff, for the Walk a Mile event, would you/DL prefer that we wear something closer to what you guys wore (navy blazer, tie, white shirt) or what was sent in the e-mail previously which is just dark slacks and a white button down shirt?
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:10 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by WidgetHead
Quick question for Canarsie and ATLDiff, for the Walk a Mile event, would you/DL prefer that we wear something closer to what you guys wore (navy blazer, tie, white shirt) or what was sent in the e-mail previously which is just dark slacks and a white button down shirt?
If you truly want to emulate the Delta Air Lines gate agent uniform, wear a white shirt with a silver or shiny gray tie with a navy suit and dark shoes — at least, that is the official uniform for men.

You could get away with no tie or jacket, but again, if you are attempting to emulate the official uniform as much as possible, this is what is recommended.

You could also wear a dark color such as black or dark charcoal gray instead of navy, and you could deviate from the tie color also...
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by Canarsie
If you truly want to emulate the Delta Air Lines gate agent uniform, wear a white shirt with a silver or shiny gray tie with a navy suit and dark shoes — at least, that is the official uniform for men.

You could get away with no tie or jacket, but again, if you are attempting to emulate the official uniform as much as possible, this is what is recommended.
The big problem with wearing a jacket is that it will cover up the nifty Delta and FlyerTalk logos!

On the UP side...for the people who can't handle the stress...the jacket will cover the huge sweat stains they have!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by Burj
The big problem with wearing a jacket is that it will cover up the nifty Delta and FlyerTalk logos!

On the UP side...for the people who can't handle the stress...the jacket will cover the huge sweat stains they have!
LOL. Funny but true!!!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:39 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Sez_Who
Not that I am aware of. Mine is loaded with not only travel loyalty programs but things like Best Buy, FedEx, and Safeway. At the very least, it is an app that lets you keep all your account numbers in one handy place.

And you can manually add just about anything. One example would be a local library account number. Most create barcodes but some scan, others don't.

More recently they added a 'special deals' feature related to an account. For example, I have 5 listed under Delta, 6 deals under Blockbuster, 8 under Staples. Pretty decent app, and it's free.
Originally Posted by Cholula
There's a list in the App. Without counting them I'm guessing there are 150+/- companies. And you can add those that are not listed.

Just a heads-up though. This App is a work in progress and is not as polished as it could be IMO. It's received mixed reviews but is the best "card condenser" I've seen thus far.

And as Sez_Who sez, the price is right plus it lists whatever deals are currently being offered by brand.
Any employees from said companies ever question about having a barcode on the iPhone? Any machines not able to accept the barcodes generated?

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Being a gate agent does not sound like the ideal job after all for you, then.
I would still do it.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 2:45 pm

so after this gate agent experience, will participants be encouraged to offer help to overworked GAs they come across in the future ?

this sounds like a great experience - only wish we could do satellite versions at our local airports !
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by N639DL
Any employees from said companies ever question about having a barcode on the iPhone? Any machines not able to accept the barcodes generated?
All this App does is take your membership number from Delta, Marriott, Hertz, Best Buy, Kroger and/or you name the company and converts it into a bar code if it can.

The bar code can usually be read by scanners as long as you don't have some whippy-dippy reflective screen protector and if you hold the phone at the correct angle and distance from the bar code scanner.

I'd say that half the time the scanner, for whatever reason, can't read the bar code on the phone so basically this App is best as a depository for all your membership numbers.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
All this App does is take your membership number from Delta, Marriott, Hertz, Best Buy, Kroger and/or you name the company and converts it into a bar code if it can.

The bar code can usually be read by scanners as long as you don't have some whippy-dippy reflective screen protector and if you hold the phone at the correct angle and distance from the bar code scanner.

I'd say that half the time the scanner, for whatever reason, can't read the bar code on the phone so basically this App is best as a depository for all your membership numbers.
Interesting...If it was guranteed that it would work every time, I would use it.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 3:16 pm

Programs: Bates Motel Plat

The bar code can usually be read by scanners .
A scanner is not necessary to read a bar code:

._. .._ _ _ ._ _. _.. _._. _ _ _ _._ . ._ _. ._.. . ._ ... .
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
I returned to the scene of the crime as I boarded my flight to RDU out of B21. It looks like we are set for an on-time departure. Great job GA!

I am looking at the window at the hard working Ramp Agents and saying to myself ... Hmmm wonder what I can think up next.

Opppps, there is the Lavatory Waste Truck... On second thought
Old Sep 28, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jimrpa

Thanks. Where and what are they? [FIDS]
It doesn't looks like anyone answered this yet... FIDS are the banks of monitors listing current flights... the ones you look at after clearing security muttering to yourself "which blasted gate was it again?"
Old Sep 29, 2010, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
I sure hope you can back it up easily. Otherwise, lose your phone and you will cease to exist.
Cardstar (on the Droid) has a "backup" menu item that writes the database to the sd card.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.