Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Help getting from PDX to STT on Delta or partner

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond

Greetings, I am taking the family to STT from RDM or PDX over Thanksgiving week and am trying to get flights on Delta or a partner (as I am diamond, my wife is gold and my kids are silver). The flights on Delta alone are horrible for times/layovers. Any suggestions? Again, I would like to accrue Delta miles if possible...should I fly to JFK and catch an American flight? How about MIA? Any suggestions on where to start looking would be great.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Given that in most cases to get from the West Coast to the Caribbean a redeye is involved (most once-a-day Caribbean flights leave late morning), there isn't a great way to do it on any carrier for the most part.

On Delta, on the outbound you'll have a long layover in ATL. AA and US would be double-connects from PDX. UA is a long layover in IAH.

There isn't a ton of traffic flow from the West Coast to the Caribbean, which is part of the reason you don't see a ton of great connection options between the regions. Going to JFK on Delta and then going on AA out of JFK might work, but does the hassle of a terminal change (which I'd leave 3 hours for) negate a 3.5 hour layover or so in Atlanta?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by mersk862
There isn't a ton of traffic flow from the West Coast to the Caribbean..
Think Hawaii. Alaska Airlines non-stops PDX-HNL and PDX-OGG.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:25 am
Original Poster

Programs: delta diamond, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the responses...red-eyes are not a problem and we figured we would take one. Hawaii is great, but we have been there a bunch as it is very easy to get to from the west coast. Just want to try something new!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:28 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Try PDX-SJU then take the AA, Jet Blue, or Cape Air puddle jumper over to STT.

I know SJU has a few more options than STT to/from ATL.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:29 am

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Think Hawaii.
St. John >>>>> Hawaii
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Think Hawaii. Alaska Airlines non-stops PDX-HNL and PDX-OGG.
Exactly. AA is ending LAX-SJU which was the last West Coast-Caribbean flight I could think of - Air Jamaica had LAX/PHX-MBJ at one point (as did US on PHX-MBJ) but that's about it. West of the Rockies tends to go to Hawaii, East Coast tends to go Caribbean.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsugolfer
Try PDX-SJU then take the AA, Jet Blue, or Cape Air puddle jumper over to STT.

I know SJU has a few more options than STT to/from ATL.
I'd agree with this thinking - SJU would maximize miles, should have decent times and then it's a quick 68 mile hop to STT.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
St. John >>>>> Hawaii
I've been to both and I'm going to disagree with that, irrespective of proximity to the OP's origination.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Seaborne Airlines also flies from SJU-STT if their times work better than the AA flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.