Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

San Francisco SFO Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

San Francisco SFO Sky Club: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: Delta PM; Sheraton's Vistana BOD; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by akonradi
Definetely no longer the case. I used it prior to a redeye to MEM a few months back that left after 1am. It was open at least until I left to go through security, and there were still a few others that left after I did.
They extended the hours a number of months ago to accomodate the later (earlier) red eye flights. It's a pleasant enough lounge and actually much brighter and larger than the CO lounge. The only advantage the CO lounge had was better snack selection.

If you are on a red eye out of SFO, security will not be a problem.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz #1 Whatever, Avis First
The domestic one is landside and it's hidden up some stairs and down a bland hallway.
Hopefully someone here can check my memory...didn't that bland hallway used to be a balcony overlooking the check-in area below? I swear I remember it that way from the late 90s and then I was away for a couple of years and they boarded it up on the one side and made it look horrible. Is that right or am I having an episode or something?

As for what others have said...not a bad club and the folks working it are nice and helpful. Being before security is the only problem though if you're in the SC you probaly have SkyPriority access to the security line so it shouldn't be horrible. If only CLEAR hadn't gone away...that was great for SFO and SJC.
Old Aug 9, 2010, 10:21 pm

Originally Posted by EricStratton
Hopefully someone here can check my memory...didn't that bland hallway used to be a balcony overlooking the check-in area below? I swear I remember it that way from the late 90s and then I was away for a couple of years and they boarded it up on the one side and made it look horrible. Is that right or am I having an episode or something?
That sounds familiar. I didn't start going up there until probably 2003, but I can remember seeing that balcony prior from below. IIRC, there are balconies over the check-in area in a similar fashion in T3. You're not having an episode, unless we're both delusional.

If only CLEAR hadn't gone away...that was great for SFO and SJC.
From what I've heard, SFO is one of the airports that CLEAR's new owners want to set up early.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by milesho
I thought SC members could use Alaska BR with a Delta ticket. Am I wrong?
Looks like you are right (looking at the very bottom of this SkyClubs information page on the "old" Delta.com website). SC members can use the Board Room regardless of whether they are traveling on an Alaska flight (if you are traveling on an Alaska flight, then you're allowed to bring along guests).

But in terms of SFO, it's still a little meaningless as the Board Room is behind security in Alaska/Continental's terminal, a good walk from the Delta gates in a separate terminal with it's own security check.
Old Aug 10, 2010, 6:30 am

Programs: ITA Executive for life; AZ CFP "per sempre" (ST E+); LH SEN; BA Bronze
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It's unfortunate that the lounge is landside (almost above and on the right hand side of the security check area, IIRC look for elevators on the right of the security lanes, just beyond the line of check in counters). Otherwise, I like it. Good staff and when I've been there, it's been wonderfully quiet with lots of space to sit.
I completely agree. The staff is one of the nicest I've ever found in a SC!
Old Aug 10, 2010, 2:27 pm
Suspended

I will always have a good feeling about the staff in this lounge. I walked into this club years ago, with a TWA Ambassador Club pass (As I said, it was a long time ago). I handed it to the CSR at the front desk and asked, "May I use this here?"

As she read the pass, which we both knew was invalid at the Delta Crown Room club, I looked around. There was nobody in the club. Not a single passenger.

She slowly read the pass and then handed it back to me, saying "No, you may not use that pass at this club. However, in view of the fact that there is nobody here right now, I would like to welcome you to the Delta Crown Room Club. Hopefully your experience today will convince you to join".

Old Aug 10, 2010, 3:25 pm

IMO, it get's big points for being quiet, always plenty of room when I fly out. (2pm thursdays).

Sucks that it is before security, but at least we get a priority line to skip pass the regulars.
Old Aug 20, 2010, 2:06 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I used the domestic club for my first time last week and was fairly impressed. I was annoyed at first as the elevator didn't seem to want to arrive to take me to the Club but once I found the stairs I used them. The dingy hallway to arrive at the Club also didn't help.

However, I like the size of the club, the views of the tarmac and the natural light, the seating, the computers, the agents, the bathrooms and the bartender. All in all, I was pleased with it. Much better than the also outside security Presidents Club.
Old Sep 4, 2010, 10:59 pm

I plan on visiting this SC soon. (not the international one)

Are you allowed to take luggage with you inside the SFO SC (since it is pre-security)?

If I'm not allowed to take in luggage to the sky club, then how early can i check in my luggage at this airport on AA?

I'm arriving from NRT to SFO (on JL metal) and have a 6 hr.40 minute layover (in SFO) before my red eye flight from SFO-ORD (on AA metal). These 2 flights are on 2 separate award tickets and 2 separate PNRs, so i would have to pick-up, and re-check my luggage.

I'd like to spend this layover at the SC, but I read elsewhere that they don't allow luggage in the SC since it is pre-security.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:53 am

Programs: Hilton Honors, SPG, Marriott
I have never flown internationally out of SFO, so I am quite curious as to how the SkyClub and the AF lounge compare and to which I would rather spend my 4.5 hour layover in.

Any info would be great!
Old Sep 9, 2010, 8:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by longleaf
I plan on visiting this SC soon. (not the international one)

Are you allowed to take luggage with you inside the SFO SC (since it is pre-security)?

If I'm not allowed to take in luggage to the sky club, then how early can i check in my luggage at this airport on AA?

I'm arriving from NRT to SFO (on JL metal) and have a 6 hr.40 minute layover (in SFO) before my red eye flight from SFO-ORD (on AA metal). These 2 flights are on 2 separate award tickets and 2 separate PNRs, so i would have to pick-up, and re-check my luggage.

I'd like to spend this layover at the SC, but I read elsewhere that they don't allow luggage in the SC since it is pre-security.
Even if you have separate tickets and PNRs, you should be able to check luggage through from JL to AA. You might want to try calling to ask that they cross reference the PNRs. Just be sure to have printouts of both PNRs and both tickets when you check in and request that the bags be checked through. It's pretty easy to do this with major carriers and even easier if they're in the same alliance. (I've done this recently with AF to NW/DL on an overnight connection of almost 24 hours and SQ to DL.) The only issue might be bag fees on AA if not elite, etc., but these could be charged at the AA counter when you get your boarding pass and show them the bag claim checks, although this info should be in their computer system.

However, you will have to claim the bags and walk them through customs to the bag recheck desk at SFO. There's a chance that even if the bags aren't checked thourgh, you will be able to check them and get your AA boarding pass at the service desk in the baggage recheck area just after exiting customs, assuming that it's staffed by AA or OW agents when you are there.

If the bags are arguably carry on size (perhaps up to a 25 inch roller bag), the club cannot possibly object. However, most lounges do not allow airport baggage carts, although you can usually park the cart at the door with a sign saying it's yours and you're currently using the lounge. (The NW clubs had a pre-printed form for this sign.)

AA experts will know more, but I would suspect that the AA counters are staffed throughout, but might not accept the bag until 4-6 hours before the flight. However, there might be an exception because you are coming from an international flight; try showing the previous JL boarding pass. Long international connections aren't totally unusual and it would seem unreasonable to expect people to wait with luggage landside in such situations.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Sep 9, 2010 at 8:44 am
Old Sep 9, 2010, 10:06 am

That sounds familiar. I didn't start going up there until probably 2003, but I can remember seeing that balcony prior from below. IIRC, there are balconies over the check-in area in a similar fashion in T3. You're not having an episode, unless we're both delusional.
You are not mistaken as one used to be able to look down the check-in area from the balcony. I can't remember when the SFIA boarded up the balcony.

The club never seems to be crowed, fairly good view looking into the tarmac. When you enter the club, you are always greeted with a smile by the friendly and helpful attendants.
Old Sep 9, 2010, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by oldtimer

The club never seems to be crowed, fairly good view looking into the tarmac. When you enter the club, you are always greeted with a smile by the friendly and helpful attendants.
+1, the busiest I've seen the club there is about half full. Always plenty of room.

I'm sure that the times when there isn't a flight to ATL in the next 1-2 hrs it's even quieter.
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:13 pm

San Francisco Skyclub

What is the best Skyclub lounge at SFO? Sounds like there is one in the international terminal. Is that accessible on a domestic flight? Flying on a non-delta ticket? I'm a Skyclub member. How hard is it to go from the international terminal to the domestic terminal?

Does the Skyclub on Mezzanine level at the ticket counter have a complimentary bar? Do all have WIFI?

Which SFO club is best for a Skyclub member flying on a domestic non-delta flight?

How about the Air France & Alaska clubs. Will they allow Skyclub member & 1 guest access on a non- delta, non-france, non-alaska ticket?
Old Sep 23, 2010, 8:18 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
can't comment on the international lounge but the one in the domestic terminal has wifi and free bar the same as other clubs. Main thing to remember is that is outside security.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.