DL GM+ upgrades on AS to start 9/1/10

Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
It appears that also as of 9/1, AS now recognizes Delta Diamond status!

Previously all of my boarding passes and online check in would say DL Plat. I went to check in for my QX flight tomorrow and next to where you enter your FF# at check in it says "DL DMD". Very cool.

I didn't complete check-in but I'm assuming Diamond actually prints on boarding passes now.

-RM
Old Sep 5, 2010, 4:54 pm
mpp

I got upgraded today on DEN-PDX (AS681) although my boarding pass does not say anything apart from my name and skymiles number (no reference to my GM status). But to get there was a bit convulted. Not seamless or automatic in any way.

This ticket was purchased when I was Silver Medallion and have since turned Gold. The ticket was purchased through delta.com as a codeshare. On delta.com I could not even select a seat. I called Alaska Airlines (1-800-Alaskaair) and got my six-letter Alaska confirmation code through the automated system (which I must say is a slick automated system). But, even then through alaskaair.com I could only choose from one of 3 middle seats way in the back. I called Alaska again and spoke with an agent and he at least allowed me to choose a better seat (offered bulkhead or exit row) but stated although he thought they would be allowing first class upgrades for Gold/Plat/Diamond medallions it would only be at the gate.

With 3 hours to spare in Denver I first went to the Alaska gate (A51) but the agent there was unable to help me. Since I had time I left security and went to the Alaska Check-in desk where the agent there was more than happy to move me up as a Gold Medallion even though I did not have my card (recently a GM from FO and no card yet). I did have my prior Delta boarding pass with my status printed on it but not sure if I even needed that. Now I have 2C. We will see if this uprade process becomes more automatic in the coming weeks.

Since I have the time to comment I also just want to take the time to compliment Delta and Skymiles. Granted, I am a leisure traveller. I travel at times and days that are less busy with the hordes of elite business travellers so my experience is likely different from many.

Although I have only ever used Skymiles for hotels and never for flights (so I can't comment on the "un"availability of Skymiles flight awards) I continue to become more impressed with the Skymiles program for elites as it improves. Even as a Silver I was nearly 100% in upgrades and on non-upgradeable flights (with partners or international) over the last year. I have been treated very well in terms of seat selection, priority boarding/security, recognition from the flight attendants, etc. Same goes for treatment during my one-time voluntary denied boarding (even before I had status...given $400 credit, plus upgraded to first on the rebooking). As a doctor I once helped out on a flight in a medical emergency and they treated me very well for my minor efforts.

I have had low level status on several other airlines including United, Alaska, and Continental (and even for a short time on NW before the merger) and in my opinion none have done me as well as Delta. Thanks Delta for making flying enjoyable again for me. You will continue to be my first choice airline. I look forward to the continued improvements.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 6:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by mpp
Since I had time I left security and went to the Alaska Check-in desk where the agent there was more than happy to move me up as a Gold Medallion even though I did not have my card (recently a GM from FO and no card yet). I did have my prior Delta boarding pass with my status printed on it but not sure if I even needed that. Now I have 2C. We will see if this uprade process becomes more automatic in the coming weeks.
I genuinely wish it was the same thing for us on Delta.... I know the process is not automated yet, but why be hard-headed about giving us an upgrade at the gate when you are selling upgrades?

FWIW, I missed an upgrade on DL2255 yesterday [ATL-LAX] and at least one employee sat in F [seat 4D if you don't believe me], while I sat in 12E in disappointment after being lied to by the GA*... Actually, I originally sat in 12F, but a couple came on board and the wife had 12G and her husband had 12E, and I did not know where I found the heart to switch seats with the husband so they could have a whole row together while I shared a row with a woman who was obviously sick and had to use a barf bag before we pushed back. Why did I do this for DL after they did not do s*** for me in ATL.

*If you are curious, the GA claimed that the system is preventing her from moving me into F and she could not do anything even though she wanted me to be in F. I knew that was not true and it is a simple process of reassigning me from a seat in Y to a seat in F. Any GA can do that, however, if they move a nobody from Y to F for no reason, then they will be in trouble with corporate security or whatever the abuse prevention department is called. The simple truth behind this is that the GA, HERSELF, simply did not want to upgrade me and it is not the system that is blocking her from reassigning me into F. Also, I sure hope AS agents did not hug any of you in a mocking way like what the DL agent did to me in ATL.
Old Sep 5, 2010, 11:30 pm

Programs: Delta Ham Sammich, SPG, Hertz #1 Gold, Chalet Suites Matterhorn
Glad to see there's already a thread about this. Yesterday I flew on AS metal, DL9047/AS170 SEA to ANC. At the Alaska Airlines gate, I asked the agent if reciprocal upgrades with Delta had started. He said yes, took a look at my BP, and issued me a new BP with the U/G. I don't have it handy, but the pass did say "Delta Plat" and had my Delta SM # as XXXXXX1234 with all but the last 4 blanked out. I wouldn't call it automatic in any sense, more of a gate upgrade experience that I would have missed if I hadn't inquired. It was nice to have the cushier seat, though.

[edit] P.S. The mileage for the AS segment posted to my DL SM account in under 24 hours.

Last edited by Frozentech; Sep 5, 2010 at 11:38 pm
Old Sep 6, 2010, 1:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Any experience with getting upgraded on AS due to DL status and then crediting the flight to AA's program or AS's program?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:02 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Any experience with getting upgraded on AS due to DL status and then crediting the flight to AA's program or AS's program?
Yes you can at the expense of your upgrade.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:42 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Yes you can at the expense of your upgrade.
Any exceptions to that (i.e., passenger keeps the upgrade gotten courtesy of DL status yet manages to credit the flight to AA and/or AS)?
Old Sep 6, 2010, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
Any exceptions to that (i.e., passenger keeps the upgrade gotten courtesy of DL status yet manages to credit the flight to AA and/or AS)?
No. It is against the rules of Mileage Plan.. I am pretty sure it is the same over at DL, you can't use your status to get an upgrade on DL then credit the miles over to AS/AF/KL/etc.

So, if you get an upgrade and chose to switch your FF # you will lose your F seat and fly in Y.

Originally Posted by Alaska Airlines
When using MVP or MVP Gold benefits, including First Class Upgrades, mileage may not be accrued in any other airlines' frequent flier program. The member's Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan number must appear in the reservation such that mileage accrued for that flight will be credited to the member's Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan account, before MVP or MVP Gold benefits, including First Class Upgrades, may be used on that flight.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 4:00 pm
mpp

Just a quick trip report on my Alaska first class trip after being upgraded as a Delta GM. My flight was AS681 DEN-PDX.

I did need to ask for the upgrade at check-in but was given it without hesitation.
They boarded those with small children and those needing extra time first (which on this flight for some reason was a lot...there were two babies in the first class cabin). THen they boarded first class along with MVPGold (although since I made the upgrade I'm sure all MVPGolds were already upgraded).
Many of the first class passengers were already in line in the separate First Class/MVP line prior to start of boarding.

The flight was on a 737-800. Departure was about 35 minutes late due to late arrival of aircraft. I sat in 2C which is an aisle seat on the Left side (seats are 2A,2C,2D,2F. They were leather seats but a bit worn out as compared to Delta. The interior has seen better days. There was no pre-flight drinks except for a glass of water. No blankets or pillows.

Once airborne they came around for drink orders. Standard available stuff (although on this trip they had POG juice...some mixed juice that is normally on their Hawaii flights but somehow got on this flight by accident...Finlandia and POG is pretty tasty). Drink came in a real glass with a packet of dried fruit mix (that seemed a bit old and stale).

After everyone had drinks the FA came around asking each person if they wanted the pasta dinner. There were no choices. Then she came around telling everyone that they didn't have the pasta but rather chicken.

The dinner consisted of one piece of chicken with red sauce. On the side some lettuce and a couple of tomatoes with a creamy dressing. One piece of chocolate candy for desert. Edible but nothing special (although I don't think Delta would have served a meal on a flight this short).

FA never really came around to ask for drink refills but the twice I stopped her as she walked past to ask for another she got it with a smile.

There was no in-flight entertainment. I think on longer flights they offer personal video players complimentary. There was go-go in-flight internet available.

Although they of course mentioned the Alaska Mileageplan they did not try to sell their credit card (which I personally find kind of annoying).

All in all a decent flight with good staff. I think the Delta product is better though (both staff and hard product...e.g., on my Delta flight MSP-DEN the same day the FA came by with a refill on my drink without even asking). But hey, I can't complain about a free upgrade. Certainly gives me reason to use Alaska when their schedule works better for me.
Old Sep 6, 2010, 9:28 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hilton Diamond
GM Upgraded SEA-LAX

Hi, I flew SEA to LAX on 9/1/10. The ladies in the Boardroom couldn't upgrade me, but when I got to the gate, I asked the gate agent if any seats were available. She upgraded me on the spot.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL MM PM; AA MM Gold for Life; Hilton Diamond for Life
So I'm a DL PM booking an AS flight, and am confused about what I should be doing.
  • On ExpertFlyer my preferred flight is showing A/0, U/0. Does that mean I don't have a chance at an upgrade?
  • Should I register for the flight with my DL SM #, or my AS MVP #?
  • After ticketing, should I call AS, wait till checkin time to ask the TA for an upgrade, ask the GA, or all of the above?

Thanks!
Old Sep 7, 2010, 2:53 pm

Programs: Amtrak Select Plus, Marriott Platinum, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8320/4.5.0.81 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

I appreciate the reciprocity, but I think Alaska F is pretty dreadful.
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:11 pm

Originally Posted by joslyn40
So I'm a DL PM booking an AS flight, and am confused about what I should be doing.

[*]On ExpertFlyer my preferred flight is showing A/0, U/0. Does that mean I don't have a chance at an upgrade?
Not always... As the departure date approaches AS may release "U" inventory. Also, F passengers can simply not show up and they will get refunded, so some seats may open up at the gate. FWIW, U is a subset of A [A is Saver F award]. To get a better idea on whether AS will release some A inventory, which increases the chances of them releasing U inventory dramatically is to check how many "F" inventory is still available... If it is still widely available and then about two weeks out they will start releasing some A inventory.

[*]Should I register for the flight with my DL SM #, or my AS MVP #?
If you are an AS MVPG, use your AS # when flying on AS! If you need more miles on DL, then you can credit them over to AS once you know you have absolutely ZERO chance of getting an upgrade. You can change your FF at the podium before boarding [if F is full and you are 3-4ish on the upgrade waitlist].

[*]After ticketing, should I call AS, wait till checkin time to ask the TA for an upgrade, ask the GA, or all of the above?
If you use your AS # you will be waitlisted automatically. If you use your DL SM # then do OLCI the minute you can, since that is when AS starts giving out upgrades to DL elites. I wouldn't be surprised that in the future, DL elites will be added to the waitlist automatically. I think what matters more at this point is that you have a CHANCE of getting an upgrade granted it is not automatic, and for some reason DL can't see that [looks like they are set on making it automatic, nothing less].
Old Sep 7, 2010, 3:15 pm

Originally Posted by vatraveler
I appreciate the reciprocity
^

Originally Posted by vatraveler
but I think Alaska F is pretty dreadful.
How so?

I have flown on DL in F a few times this year and both products certainly has it is pros/cons, but I could not see how one is much better than the other.
Old Sep 8, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by golfingboy

Not always... As the departure date approaches AS may release "U" inventory. Also, F passengers can simply not show up and they will get refunded, so some seats may open up at the gate. FWIW, U is a subset of A [A is Saver F award]. To get a better idea on whether AS will release some A inventory, which increases the chances of them releasing U inventory dramatically is to check how many "F" inventory is still available... If it is still widely available and then about two weeks out they will start releasing some A inventory.

If you are an AS MVPG, use your AS # when flying on AS! If you need more miles on DL, then you can credit them over to AS once you know you have absolutely ZERO chance of getting an upgrade. You can change your FF at the podium before boarding [if F is full and you are 3-4ish on the upgrade waitlist].

If you use your AS # you will be waitlisted automatically. If you use your DL SM # then do OLCI the minute you can, since that is when AS starts giving out upgrades to DL elites. I wouldn't be surprised that in the future, DL elites will be added to the waitlist automatically. I think what matters more at this point is that you have a CHANCE of getting an upgrade granted it is not automatic, and for some reason DL can't see that [looks like they are set on making it automatic, nothing less].
@golfingboy: I have a Sat midday SEA-LAX flight...usually an upgradeable time but I want the Delta miles. When I spoke w/ the AS person today, they didn't know I could get upgraded during OLCI and said to ask at the gate, so that's good to know that I can try earlier.

Also, the AS person said that this auto-process was pushed back by Delta's request to Nov.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.