Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL GM+ upgrades on AS to start 9/1/10

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2010, 4:13 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by jrl22
just purchased a ticket for tomorrow morning SNA-PDX, completed OLCI and saw a small "Upgrade to First Class" link on the screen ... was expecting a $50 or $75 buyup offer, but instead got the FC seat map, "Select your seat," and a message about "We now offer Delta DM, PM, GM members complimentary upgrades"

*** note -- I think it explicitly said "OFFER"; pretty sure it did NOT say "AUTOMATICALLY GIVE" ***
NICE! ^

I am going to be a little more tough on the DL agents the next three weeks [12 segments total] if they are selling upgrades at the gate.

I am glad this arrangement on the AS side is much better than the arrangement with NW. Provides a more mutual enjoyment of this great reciprocal benefits program.

On AS, at 23.5 hours the list is handed over to the airport and it is completely within the airport's control. So, it appears if DL D/P/GMs wants to maximize their chances at scoring an upgrade, you will need to check in the minute the OLCI window opens.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jrl22
just purchased a ticket for tomorrow morning SNA-PDX, completed OLCI and saw a small "Upgrade to First Class" link on the screen ... was expecting a $50 or $75 buyup offer, but instead got the FC seat map, "Select your seat," and a message about "We now offer Delta DM, PM, GM members complimentary upgrades"

*** note -- I think it explicitly said "OFFER"; pretty sure it did NOT say "AUTOMATICALLY GIVE" ***
Hmmm, so does this mean it's first come first served for upgrades, and that there is no ordering based on medallion status? Or does it simply mean there was no one on the waitlist?

Also, I'm guessing that you did OLCI well within the 24 hour window (since you mentioned buying it today for tomorrow morning), so I don't know about the idea that the flight is completely under airport control at T-23.5...
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG 75K, DL GM, DL SkyClub
Alaska's upgrade system has well known drawbacks to those of us that are MVPG/MVP. It has (until recently) been a free-for-all once the OLCI period hits. Seats get released into the U (Alaska's upgraded first) inventory at weird intervals, and the only way to claim them is to check in once under airport control. In theory, anyone eligible could snag them at that point by OLCI. I'm not sure if the loophole has been closed or if any priority really exists, but they often post upgrade lists at the airport (which have generally been meaningless).
Old Sep 2, 2010, 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by GBadger
so I don't know about the idea that the flight is completely under airport control at T-23.5...
Yes, the list is under airport control at T-23.5 and the only way we can get upgraded under 24 hours after the last EUA runs is via OLCI or at the airport.

Apparently it does not upgrade you automatically or by your status level like what I thought it would do... Maybe that is something that will be implemented later on? Baby steps rather than doing the whole package, I guess.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Originally Posted by golfingboy
For AS it is [if U available]:

on AS:
MVPG75K+companion on H+ fare INSTANT
MVPG+companion on H+ fare INSTANT
MVP on Y/YAS fare INSTANT
MVPG75K+companion 5 Days
MVPG+companion 3 Days
MVP 2 Days
DM 24 Hours
PM 24 Hours
GM 24 Hours
Has anyone confirmed that the upgrade process on AS is *automatic*? So far I've read a few stories of people getting upgrades at OLCI or at the kiosk - but can you get an upgrade at the 24 hour mark before the flight goes to airport control? In other words if I don't OLCI at T-24 will I still get an upgrade if I'm next in line?

Also, under the old regime, NW elites were eligible for immediate upgrades on AS with Y/YAS fares. It would be nice if DL/AS kept the same rules.

Thanks,
RM
Old Sep 2, 2010, 8:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by bocastephen
The AS BR blows every domestic US airline club out of the water - by far.
Well, EXCEPT for the complimentary booze. DL SCs have call drinks available for free (Jack Daniels), even some premium drinks (I've seen Woodford Reserve).

I'm pretty sure AS serves paint thinner in the SEA Board Room as the well drink, and then adds caramel food coloring if they need it to be something other than vodka or gin. You have to pay if you want a tolerable mixed drink using a call liquor instead of well.

That being said, the beer and wine in the SEA BR is nice, and the food is better that DL SCs- and the LAX Board Room has very solid complimentary well liquors. I don't recall the liquors at the SFO BR.
Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:07 pm
mpp

Don't know if it means anything but talked to an Alaska agent tonight who said that there are complimentary upgrades for Delta GM, PM, DM, but only within the 24 hour window and only at the airport. He was unable to put me on any list but said it looked good for the upgrade from his end.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 7:46 am

Programs: Delta Skymiles DM, Priority Club Platinum Elite
Nice ^, did you have to pay $50 for the upgrade? What fare class were you in?
Free upgrade, not sure what fare class, booked the ticket on Expedia and it was super cheap so I am assuming it was deeply discounted. They served hot breakfast in first on my short SEA-SNA flight, DL could learn a thing or two about F service from AS IMHO. All around very impressed with the whole experience, will for sure be adding more AS legs to my trips up in the Northwest!^
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:21 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Baggage Fee Waiver Yet

I'm trying to check in online and the online check in is still saying that a fee applies to a checked bag. Is that supposed to be?
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I'm trying to check in online and the online check in is still saying that a fee applies to a checked bag. Is that supposed to be?
Called the Gold line and they said it has not been implemented yet However, the rep assured me it is happening soon.

Guess you got your upgrades, and we got our free bags... But my argument still stands that the vast majority of frequent flyers are business travelers who rarely checks their bags on a business trip, so the upgrade is more important...

BTW, just checked in for my Delta flight today and not one word about upgrades during OLCI. Not even a link to request that I be added to the waitlist or whatsoever.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 9:47 am

Programs: UA 1K (MM), DL, AA, AS, HHonors, SPG, Kimpton, Hyatt, IC PC, Marriott Titanium (LT PLT), Hertz PC
Yes, the list is under airport control at T-23.5 and the only way we can get upgraded under 24 hours after the last EUA runs is via OLCI or at the airport.
Ok, it sounds as though there are different definitions of "under airport control" at DL and AS. At DL, if a flight is under airport control, it means that no one other than airport TAs and GAs can assign seating, generally including SkyClub and SMS agents.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:17 am

Ok, it sounds as though there are different definitions of "under airport control" at DL and AS. At DL, if a flight is under airport control, it means that no one other than airport TAs and GAs can assign seating, generally including SkyClub and SMS agents.
Right, but you can still assign or change your seats online... Just the non airport agents cannot change anything after 23.5 hours.

AS's EUA is automatic [does not run at specific timeframes and will upgrade you anytime as long as you are within the upgrade window]. However, at T-23.5 it is open for all [the EUA stops running automatically] and you have to manually upgrade yourself if "U" inventory opens up via OLCI.

Basically, when it is under 23.5 hours and there are some F seats open [2 or 3] you should try to do OLCI every hour or so to snag an F seat if "U" opens up. Alaska is working on a fix for this to automatically upgrade people who are already on the waitlist, so we do not get alienated by non-elite who edge us out on snagging an upgrade during OLCI.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:24 am

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Guess you got your upgrades, and we got our free bags... But my argument still stands that the vast majority of frequent flyers are business travelers who rarely checks their bags on a business trip, so the upgrade is more important... .
Just called Alaska and I guess I have to go to the airport and see if they released the F seats. But, I booked a dummy reservation and the F cabin has 16 available on the way out and 15 available on the way back.
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Hmmm, so does this mean it's first come first served for upgrades, and that there is no ordering based on medallion status? Or does it simply mean there was no one on the waitlist?

Also, I'm guessing that you did OLCI well within the 24 hour window (since you mentioned buying it today for tomorrow morning), so I don't know about the idea that the flight is completely under airport control at T-23.5...
I can only speculate that the answer to the first question is "yes, after all the automatic AS MVP upgrades are processed" since I booked at 230PM for a 10AM flight

as others have said, it looks like the best odds are to hit the OLCI window as soon as it opens

I'm expecting a couple more AS trips later this month, so stay tuned ...
Old Sep 3, 2010, 10:44 am

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Just called Alaska and I guess I have to go to the airport and see if they released the F seats. But, I booked a dummy reservation and the F cabin has 16 available on the way out and 15 available on the way back.
When is the trip? If it is this weekend and then an upgrade is almost guaranteed. Do OLCI at 23.5 hours.

If you want, you can PM me your flight #s and date and I can check EF for you to see how many "U" seats are open.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.