FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   Delta 17 LAX-SYD, Delta 16 SYD-LAX - ?? about meals and also CPAP (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1119508-delta-17-lax-syd-delta-16-syd-lax-about-meals-also-cpap.html)

wbl-mn-flyer Aug 24, 2010 10:31 am

Delta 17 LAX-SYD, Delta 16 SYD-LAX - ?? about meals and also CPAP

I am curious about the following flights - approx 15 hrs each. What meals are served, and when?

Also any promotions I should be sure to enroll on? First time to Asia/Pac and will have a virgin blue connection from SYD-MEL and back to SYD.

Seems pretty late to serve dinner after take-off, do they serve breakfast and lunch on "LAX time" ?

Delta 17
10:35pm LAX
6:35am SYD

Similar question going the other way. Assume they serve lunch and dinner on "SYD time" ?

Delta 16
9:50am SYD
6:40am LAX

Finally, I wonder about using my CPAP aboard these flights, requesting at-seat power from Delta or bringing along my own (dry) battery.

https://www.delta.com/planning_reser...erns/index.jsp

Assistive Devices

If you need an assistive or non-oxygen-generating life-support device, like a respirator, nebulizer, or ventilator, you can bring it in the cabin for use during the flight, as long as it fits in an FAA approved storage location.... We recommend you use a dry-cell battery for your equipment, since electrical outlets are not available on our aircraft.

Oxygen concentrators, other than those we've approved, CPAP and BiPap machines will only be accepted if they have been tested by the manufacturer to comply with FAA safety regulations and display a label indicating that the machine is approved for use on an aircraft. Additional review of testing data must be provided to Delta for approval prior to travel.

Thank for any help which can be provided.

mspflier Aug 24, 2010 11:03 am

There have been several threads about this recently...

I've done this as a MR twice in the past 9 months. On LAX-SYD, they serve dinner immediately after take-off (last time was a choice between a chicken and a pasta), a snack exactly half-way through (at about the seven hour mark, last time was a cold sandwich), and then breakfast about an hour before landing (for breakfast, think hot breakfast sandwich).

The good FAs bring water around throughout the flight.

Both times I did the trip, there were power ports in the first 10 rows of the coach cabin, which I took advantage of.

Enjoy!

wbl-mn-flyer Aug 24, 2010 11:12 am

Originally Posted by mspflier (Post 14537744)
There have been several threads about this recently...

I've done this as a MR twice in the past 9 months. On LAX-SYD, they serve dinner immediately after take-off (last time was a choice between a chicken and a pasta), a snack exactly half-way through (at about the seven hour mark, last time was a cold sandwich), and then breakfast about an hour before landing (for breakfast, think hot breakfast sandwich).

The good FAs bring water around throughout the flight.

Both times I did the trip, there were power ports in the first 10 rows of the coach cabin, which I took advantage of.

Enjoy!

This is good to hear. I need to figure out more what "power ports" means - do I need an adapter? Is it a "cig lighter" style DC plug?

I will check the delta web site on this: "In-seat AC 110 volt power outlets are also available in the first 10 rows of the Economy cabin of all A330, 767-400ER and 777 aircraft, and select 757 aircraft"

Thanks.

mspflier Aug 24, 2010 11:20 am

Sorry. My shorthand "power ports" means the two-pronged ones we use in the U.S. Your standard laptop power cord, cell phone wall charger, electric razor, etc.

seldon Aug 24, 2010 4:16 pm

I can tell you from personal experience that the ones on the A330s do not provide enough power to run a CPAP.

wbl-mn-flyer Aug 24, 2010 4:23 pm

Originally Posted by seldon (Post 14540040)
I can tell you from personal experience that the ones on the A330s do not provide enough power to run a CPAP.

Good to know. I just bought a battery unit so I should be good to go.

(I did not plan to run the humidifier by the way, just the air moving portion of this gadget)

bacrs Aug 24, 2010 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer (Post 14537555)
CPAP and BiPap machines will only be accepted if they have been tested by the manufacturer to comply with FAA safety regulations and display a label indicating that the machine is approved for use on an aircraft. Additional review of testing data must be provided to Delta for approval prior to travel.

I've used a CPAP for many years and I have never seen one with a label saying it is FAA compliant. I've also asked flight attendants over the years and have consistantly been told they are not allowed. I recommend taking the applicable part of the International Contract of Carriage with you.

Please post how it goes with your flight and the CPAP. I would love to be able to use mine on intercontinental flights.

Bacrs

wbl-mn-flyer Aug 24, 2010 5:06 pm

Originally Posted by bacrs (Post 14540176)
I recommend taking the applicable part of the International Contract of Carriage with you.

Please post how it goes with your flight and the CPAP. I would love to be able to use mine on intercontinental flights.

Bacrs

by "International Contract of Carriage" do you mean Delta's document

http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...riage_intl.pdf

???

Why in the world would the refuse someone the right to use important medical equipment in-flight, especially for a 15 hr flight?

In my CPAP's bag I have some docs printed out including a note from my Doctor and something from the ResMed web site, as well as the TSA doc that talks about CPAP.

davisew Aug 24, 2010 6:16 pm

Oxygen concentrators, other than those we've approved, CPAP and BiPap machines will only be accepted if they have been tested by the manufacturer to comply with FAA safety regulations and display a label indicating that the machine is approved for use on an aircraft. Additional review of testing data must be provided to Delta for approval prior to travel.

DL, as a Part 121 carrier, is following the FAA guidance provided here.

wbl-mn-flyer Aug 24, 2010 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by davisew (Post 14540650)
DL, as a Part 121 carrier, is following the FAA guidance provided here.

do ANY CPAP machines have such a label?

"unless the device fails to meet applicable FAA requirements for Medical Portable Electronic Devices (M-PED) and does not display a manufacturer’s label that indicates the device meets those FAA requirements"

golfingboy Aug 25, 2010 10:43 am

I am curious about the following flights - approx 15 hrs each. What meals are served, and when?

I took this trip last May and took a few photos of the meals I had on the flights... I did not take a picture of all the meals :( Sometimes I just did not have the energy to pull out my camera and take a picture :p

Pancakes breakfast before arrival in SYD... Approx 5:00A SYD time. It was quite good, and of course you can't go wrong with pancakes :p I refused to eat that red piece of fruit, because it looked edible...

http://i33.tinypic.com/23jr8yd.jpg

Lunch after departure from SYD, approx 10:45A SYD time... Chicken was not good [BLAND] and the fried stuff was really dry :(

http://i36.tinypic.com/2zqv9lu.jpg

Breakfast before arrival in LAX, approx 5:00AM LAX time... They served the same food as my outbound flight, so I thought I'd give the eggs a try... It is a Omlette with some peppers and cheese and there were some country potato fries as well. The omlette was not bad and the fries were good, the only thing that looked gross was the sausage, heck you can see that one half is dark the other half is light...

http://i35.tinypic.com/24pgx11.jpg

During midflight [about 7 hours after departure both ways] they served a "snack" which consisted of a small turkey sandwich [4 bites or so] with an Apple. I do not have any pictures of this meal, since I did not feel it was worth the effort :D

wbl-mn-flyer Aug 25, 2010 10:48 am

Thank you, a picture certainly helps!

Though that last one sort of freaked me out - the sausage looks like someone in the galley may have lost a finger!

:)

DLFan2 Aug 25, 2010 11:08 am

Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer (Post 14544673)

Though that last one sort of freaked me out - the sausage looks like someone in the galley may have lost a finger!

Or something else!;)

golfingboy Aug 25, 2010 12:17 pm

Sure, anytime! :)

Originally Posted by DLFan2 (Post 14544791)
Or something else!;)

Oh good grief! Being inches from it was terrifying enough! :D

goaliemn Aug 25, 2010 12:36 pm

Keep in mind a cpap may not deliver the same pressure in the air as on the ground.. most are calibrated for the approx altitude around where you live, while an aircraft internal pressure is much higher. Then, of course, there's the noise/power/space constraints.. Some are pretty loud, plus where will it sit while you sleep? Possibly the floor, but there's a risk of stuff being sucked in through the vents..

I flew that flight in may in business. There was plenty of room for it to sit by your head with the seat in the bed position, and the outlet is right there.