Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Ground Staff BBQ near plane/under gate A7 tonight...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Ground Staff BBQ near plane/under gate A7 tonight...

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:46 am
Suspended

DL Grills

Originally Posted by channa
Might even be DL's grill for these sorts of occasions.

This sort of thing may seem unusual for downtown office types, but if you're in a suburban office park, grilling in the parking lot is not at all strange from time to time.

Anyhow, presuming it was sanctioned and all safety procedures were taken into consideration (which I'm sure they were), I don't see a problem with it. They don't exactly have a parking lot or grassy area where they could do this sort of thing.
Correct, but those do not take place close to company aircraft!!!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 11:51 am

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by channa
Might even be DL's grill for these sorts of occasions.

This sort of thing may seem unusual for downtown office types, but if you're in a suburban office park, grilling in the parking lot is not at all strange from time to time.

Anyhow, presuming it was sanctioned and all safety procedures were taken into consideration (which I'm sure they were), I don't see a problem with it. They don't exactly have a parking lot or grassy area where they could do this sort of thing.
^ My thoughts exactly
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:14 pm

Programs: DL-Pyrite Medallion
Folks, in my line of work I get to visit most of the ramps in the domestic Ops and trust me this is a common occurence. In most cases they are sponsored by Delta as a Team building exercise or recognition of some accomplishment/anniversary. I've even seen some that they call "Food for FOD" where everyone does a FOD walkdown of the ramp and then grabs a Hot Dog. There are others that are sanctioned by Delta at local stations to benfefit charities. I know of one station that does a different 'food day' once a week during the summer months for causes like the United Way and Relay for Life. Many is the time that after a preflight walkaround, I've stopped to buy a quick Burger to support some good cause.

For those that are worried about the handling/delivery/characteristics of Jet A fuel I'd be glad to give you a lesson in a PM. Suffice it to say, it's not an issue.

The whining on this board about NonRevs is bad enough, can you at least let the Rampers enjoy a little camaraderie and lunch

Last edited by Down3Green; Jul 26, 2010 at 12:58 pm
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:26 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Put me down as someone who thinks this is a great idea. I'm jealous I wasn't invited. I know my mouth would be watering walking down that jetway.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fallen Plats, ex-WN CP, DYKWIW; still a Hilton Diamond & Club Cholula™ R.I.P. Super Plats
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
At the bottom of the jetway stairs, we have a group of employees that have hauled in a large BBQ rig, fuel, and (I assume) typical BBQ tools - large oversized forks and knives.

At the top of the jetway stairs, we have passengers and crew that are herded through nude-scopes and metal detectors to make sure they are not carrying nail clippers.

How do we nominate the picture for a Pulitzer?
Why bother?

For all we know, Delta owns the grill & delivered it to gate. I do know that CO has an awesome barbecue grill, and I've seen it used in a hanger occupied at the time by two aircraft, a 737 & a 757. This is not that big a deal.

Originally Posted by DaddyRabbit
Correct, but those do not take place close to company aircraft!!!
Yes, they do.

This is much ado about nothing. Jet A (kerosene) isn't even all that volatile.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 1:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott. Hilton Diamond, Hertz something...
^^

Originally Posted by Down3Green

For those that are worried about the handling/delivery/characteristics of Jet A fuel I'd be glad to give you a lesson in a PM. Suffice it to say, it's not an issue.

The whining on this board about NonRevs is bad enough, can you at least let the Rampers enjoy a little camaraderie and lunch
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:17 pm
fpm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond
Don't know how much you BBQ, but as those are hamburgers,
Looks like chicken to me.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:41 pm

Programs: DL GM, UA Silver, Marriott Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by MikeMpls
Why bother?

For all we know, Delta owns the grill & delivered it to gate. I do know that CO has an awesome barbecue grill, and I've seen it used in a hanger occupied at the time by two aircraft, a 737 & a 757. This is not that big a deal.
Yea, I used to work in a hangar at an industrial airport. We'd fry turkeys on the Tarmac or in the hangar around Thanksgiving and Christmas. Not really a big deal.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 2:56 pm

Programs: DL 2.8 MM/PM, AA MM/GLD, Marriott LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by RatherBeOnATrain
I'd like to thank you and everyone responsible for this BBQ for demonstrating just how assine and pointless the TSA screening is.

As long as the ketchup, mustard or BBQ sauce were in smaller than 3 oz. containers, TSA would not care
Old Jul 26, 2010, 3:21 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
The are strong here.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by fpm
Looks like chicken to me.
Maybe it is the result of ATL's bird removal program?
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: UA, HH & Marriott
The only question I have is: must you have a BBQ near airplanes and jetways?

While it may not be illegal or within FAA rules, safety is the #1 rule above all else so why would you want to chance safety by having a BBQ so close to airplanes and jet bridges. There are plenty of places to have a BBQ off the terminal grounds and not raise anyone's eyebrows. Common sense would tell you that.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by F23Coupe
The only question I have is: must you have a BBQ near airplanes and jetways?
Yes. The aroma of jet fuel enhances the flavor of the sauce. It's really incredible tasting.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 5:52 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
Originally Posted by Gargoyle
Yes. The aroma of jet fuel enhances the flavor of the sauce. It's really incredible tasting.
This whole thread is making me miss the bbq beef that NW used to serve in F...and grabbing BBQ to travel in MEM!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 6:07 pm

Programs: DL:PM - Reserve, 2MM, FC, RW; HH: SILVER MR: SILVER
OK... I can resist anymore. I think it is great that the Ground Crew in ATL was having a Sunday afternoon BBQ. I wish I had known and I would have chipped in for the BBQ sauce and maybe some buns.

Is this a safety violation? I have no clue, but I am sure this takes place more than we are aware, and I haven't seen anything on the ATL news about an airport fire started by a runaway BBQ.

These ladies and gentlemen work hard around clock in all sorts of conditions. I believe that events like these can have an extremely positive impact on employee moral. Happy employees are more productive employees. More productive employees are likely to get your baggage on and off the plane quicker, the aircraft serviced in a timely fashion, resulting in better on-time departure and it ultimately benefits the customer... all from a little Sunday afternoon BBQ.

:-::-: Kudos to the ATL ground crew! :-::-:

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.