Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Ground Staff BBQ near plane/under gate A7 tonight...

Delta Ground Staff BBQ near plane/under gate A7 tonight...

Old Jul 26, 2010, 7:46 am

God forbid they do something fun and morale boosting. Yeash. It's not like they had strippers going while setting catering trucks on fire. I find the reaction of some of these posters to be confusing to say the least.

The nice thing is, I'm sure some Delta management person will catch wind of this thread, and even if the workers had permission to do it from their bosses, that will be the end of that.

Last edited by Seminole_Kev; Jul 26, 2010 at 7:54 am
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by N639DL
The fact that this happened
Dude...don't do it....don't do it!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by jmichaeljordan
Maybe they are working on some "new" catering. I miss food on flights
Yes, I can confirm that was the new catering for the ATL-LAX flights. ^

Unfortunately, for the return flight they bring in organic avocado pineapple pizza from some trendy joint in Orange county.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:20 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat, DL G, Marriott Gold
They didn't use charcoals, that would be irresponsible, and a serious fire hazard.

They only use kerosene soaked blankets!! Gives the chicken that extra "kick".
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:26 am

It's a major airport. I'm pretty sure there's a fire Marshall on staff that had a look-see. The bigger question, was that true BBQ or not? Up north we call anything involving a grill BBQ, but those southern folk are a bit more particular.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta PM/3MM/FC Marriott Platinum
Looks like a nice grill. I bet the food was great!!

I can't quite understand why one post refers to these folks as "yahoos," though.

AG
Old Jul 26, 2010, 8:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by AirGorilla
I can't quite understand why one post refers to these folks as "yahoos," though.
It's easier to spell than "googles".
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:26 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by pokeable
I'm glad the ground crew had time to organize this, manage the logistics of bringing in a kettle grill, cooler full of chicken, and a seat.

I wish the ground crews demonstrated the same dedication to help setup an empty gate when a plane arrives early and the planned gate is occupied by a plane with mechanical trouble.

Seriously, everyone on this board has been stuck 30-45 minutes on the tarmac at ATL because there isn't an available gate ready...no one has a problem with ground staff AT WORK grilling while passengers are stuck on planes?

I don't know what is worse; the location of where these yahoos are grilling, or that 3/4 of the posts on this thread condone this behavior.
Your right, no one at a busy airport should be allowed to take breaks or eat during their shift.

Originally Posted by Gargoyle
It's easier to spell than "googles".
Bing! We have a winner!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:31 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AirGorilla
Looks like a nice grill. I bet the food was great!!

AG
Yahoo, joker, folk, whatever. I'm not endorsing one search-engine over another.

I understand they could be off the clock, having a going-away party, whatever. Appearances matter. I'm a doctor; two days a month, I travel between two offices. It would look sh*tty if I rolled into my PM office 30 minutes late with a golf-bag slung over my shoulder. Could be that I had the bags in my car and don't want them stolen; could be a gift for my father. But it still looks unprofessional, because the appearance is I am late because I was playing a morning 18.

Same is true of this incident. Yes, it _may_ be harmless (although a low & slow 225 smoker near jet fuel doesn't really sound harmless to me), but it LOOKS crappy at an airport that is renowned for having all sorts of preventable, ground staff-related delays.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 9:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by pokeable

Same is true of this incident. Yes, it _may_ be harmless (although a low & slow 225 smoker near jet fuel doesn't really sound harmless to me), but it LOOKS crappy at an airport that is renowned for having all sorts of preventable, ground staff-related delays.
Yes. ^ And FWIW, it took our gate agent 5 minutes to get into the Jetway after we pulled in (although it was likely unrelated).
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Geez...what a turn for the worst this thread turned into. I can guarentee you that management OK'ed this cook-out and no aircraft delays were caused of this. Some of you need to lighten up and let us enjoy the little things in life!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:49 am

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
I agree, but alot of it goes toward appearance... when i was a govmt contractor and got my free upgrades on NWA, I didn't tell my clients who were traveling with me (or I tried to upgrade them back before the 12 hour rule came into play) because of the appaeance it made. Everyone should be able to have some "fun" at work, but always be aware of who might be watching, esp if you are in the service industry...

Originally Posted by zsmith2
Geez...what a turn for the worst this thread turned into. I can guarentee you that management OK'ed this cook-out and no aircraft delays were caused of this. Some of you need to lighten up and let us enjoy the little things in life!
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Originally Posted by thezipper
I agree, but alot of it goes toward appearance... when i was a govmt contractor and got my free upgrades on NWA, I didn't tell my clients who were traveling with me (or I tried to upgrade them back before the 12 hour rule came into play) because of the appaeance it made. Everyone should be able to have some "fun" at work, but always be aware of who might be watching, esp if you are in the service industry...
Yeah but here in the South a bunch of guys hanging out by a cooker is a positive appearance. JFK? Now that would be another thing...

Last edited by bwhite; Jul 26, 2010 at 11:09 am
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:54 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Well said bwhite.
Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by zsmith2
What is the general rule about having fires on the field?

I know that when a TLV-MXP flight landed, and I knew I would not be able to smoke in the terminal, I waited until a bus picked us up at the plane and drove us to the terminal door.

Then, standing outside, and far away from any plane, I lit up a cigarette. Within less than a minute a police jeep pulled up and I was told to put out the cigarette immediately.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.