Community
Wiki Posts
Search

BOS-DTW: What time arrive at airport?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2010, 11:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
BOS-DTW: What time arrive at airport?

Starting in about a month, I'll be flying BOS-DTW every few weeks. BOS-DTW will usually be on a Thursday or Friday evening, and DTW-BOS usually on a Sunday or Monday late afternoon.

Assuming only carry-on baggage (small duffle and briefcase) and that I check in on my BlackBerry ahead of time (digital boarding pass), what time should I arrive at the airport prior to the scheduled departure time? I remember reading in a list of "exceptions" to what time you need to be at the gate prior to the listed departure time, and it listed only 5 minutes for domestic flights out of BOS. Thus, assuming I want to arrive at the gate 15-20 mins before scheduled departure time, what time should I arrive at the airport? How is domestic security at BOS? (DTW security, which is never bad anyway, will let anyone...including FO's...in the priority security lane; not sure is BOS is the same).

Thanks for the help.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:05 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
do a search of the forums - I distinctly remember someone starting a thread a while back suggesting that Boston security was ridiculously backed up at 6AM or something, causing tons of people to miss flights.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It would not be wise to arrive at the gate 15-20 minutes before departure, especially if the flight is full, as is likely for your travel times.

As FO, you board in zone 2 (unless upgraded, which is unlikely for this route and times), which is important for overhead bin space. Boarding should begin 30-40 minutes before departure time. You should plan to be at the gate very soon after boadring begins, at the latest. If you are not there by T-15, you risk losing your seat without compensation.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by tingalex
Starting in about a month, I'll be flying BOS-DTW every few weeks. BOS-DTW will usually be on a Thursday or Friday evening, and DTW-BOS usually on a Sunday or Monday late afternoon.

Assuming only carry-on baggage (small duffle and briefcase) and that I check in on my BlackBerry ahead of time (digital boarding pass), what time should I arrive at the airport prior to the scheduled departure time? I remember reading in a list of "exceptions" to what time you need to be at the gate prior to the listed departure time, and it listed only 5 minutes for domestic flights out of BOS. Thus, assuming I want to arrive at the gate 15-20 mins before scheduled departure time, what time should I arrive at the airport? How is domestic security at BOS? (DTW security, which is never bad anyway, will let anyone...including FO's...in the priority security lane; not sure is BOS is the same).

Thanks for the help.
One other thing to add - the DTW/MSP gates tend to be 'through the tunnel' and are a good five minute walk from security.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:33 pm

Programs: Any status I once had is gone!
BOS had been using the full body scanners which slowed down the lines immensely, but last time I was through there they were back to the magnetometers.

If you do OLCI and no bags to check I would plan on 45 minutes to be safe. The DTW flights usually leave from A13+ which also requires a stroll through the tunnel to the remote terminal. Take the escalator down after you clear security.

(and don't forget to hold your breath as you near the top of the up escalator - the Phillips seafood place exudes stinky fish grease).
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:36 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
When I was flying out of BOS in March on a Friday, around 3:20pm, it was pretty quick to get through security. Early morning is when the security line gets long. From my experiences, 6:30AM and before can be very hectic not just for TSA, but the line at Dunkin is ridiculously long, etc.

I would arrive no later than 50 minutes at the airport (TSA, checking bags, potentially grabbing something to eat hence in the evening, etc.)
Old Jul 22, 2010, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Canada Centurion (and all the fixings)...and 20,000,000+ misc. points/miles to spend!
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
It would not be wise to arrive at the gate 15-20 minutes before departure, especially if the flight is full, as is likely for your travel times.

As FO, you board in zone 2 (unless upgraded, which is unlikely for this route and times).
Would others agree that this is a presumably pretty crap route for upgrades?
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:10 pm

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist

As FO, you board in zone 2 (unless upgraded, which is unlikely for this route and times), which is important for overhead bin space. Boarding should begin 30-40 minutes before departure time. You should plan to be at the gate very soon after boadring begins, at the latest. If you are not there by T-15, you risk losing your seat without compensation.
+1

To say nothing of losing bin space --

At DTW, I like to be at the gate 30 minutes before departure ... which gives me time to get to a different gate at the other end of the terminal just in case there's a last minute gate change (and yes that has happened!)

Bob H
Old Jul 22, 2010, 1:12 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Delta Million Miler,Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, Delta Sky Club
Originally Posted by tingalex
Would others agree that this is a presumably pretty crap route for upgrades?

As a Plat I've had really good luck on upgrades, but I tend to fly out Sunday afternoon via DTW. My coworker as a silver has done well on Sundays also. I can't really comment on weekdays, as we have to be onsite Monday morning.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: AA ExecP
Might want to check out: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...light=flying_q

But, I've flown out on that flight Thurs, and security should be a breeze.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 2:42 pm

Programs: riding the lifetime status. DL MM / AA MM
Originally Posted by bkmn
BOS had been using the full body scanners which slowed down the lines immensely, but last time I was through there they were back to the magnetometers.
have they given up on the scanners completely? that's excellent.. last time i was there, once the line got to five people, they would pull the back four through the magnetometers.. it was like the good old days of trying to time your entry into the line to avoid gate screening.
Old Jul 22, 2010, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL PM(sigh)/2.3MM & a bunch of other programs...
I flew BOS-DTW on Monday and arrived in the terminal around 5:50am. The Sky Priority security line was past the kiosks. It took about 30 minutes to clear through the elite lane.

The problem is twofold for the elite lines (and I emailed TSA about them and, of course, got a useless response).
  1. Nearly exclusive use of single full-body scanner for two lanes
  2. Non-elites cutting over from their lines to the elite line after TSA ID check

It takes anywhere from 30-60 seconds to complete one scan vs. 2-3 seconds through the magnetometer. They occasionally send people through the magnetometer when the scanner line gets backed up. They should be using both all the time until they make the complete switch to body scanners. I really think someone in TSA believes that a long line means success.

The line-jumping should be controlled by TSA after ID check. Despite there being Thousands Standing Around, they don't seem to be paying attention.

It's been like night and day since the body scanners went into service and has progressively gotten worse over time. I think during peak times you have to allow 30 minutes to clear security.

I went to find a supervisor after clearing through to comment, but there was no one in the usual area to talk to. I'll likely try again next week.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Yes with the body scanners checkpoint wait time has gotten much much much worse. I used to be able to get from ticket counter check in to a remote gate in less than 15 min regardless of what time of day it was... now if its during a busier time such as early morning then you have to allow 30+ min just for security.

My flight out of BOS last Thurs midday had a moderate line, at a time when the airport is not busy. They were using the magnetometer for overflow from the body scanner line and it still took 15 min.
Old Jul 23, 2010, 11:00 am

Originally Posted by rylan
Yes with the body scanners checkpoint wait time has gotten much much much worse. I used to be able to get from ticket counter check in to a remote gate in less than 15 min regardless of what time of day it was... now if its during a busier time such as early morning then you have to allow 30+ min just for security.

My flight out of BOS last Thurs midday had a moderate line, at a time when the airport is not busy. They were using the magnetometer for overflow from the body scanner line and it still took 15 min.
Thats been my experience as well - they line up about 5 for the scanner and then people through the magnetometer to keep the line moving.
Old Oct 18, 2010, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Digging up an old thread to see what people's recent experiences have been. Flying on the 1215p BOS-ATL flight this Friday (10/22). No status on DL (I don't imagine flashing my AA EXP card will do any good, will it?!?!). It's going to be tough for me to get to Logan before 1130a. Other than the risk that the overheads are gone by the time I get to the gate, is there any real risk of not making the flight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.