Wiki Posts
Search

Companion Upgrade/new upgrade rules

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2010, 12:36 pm
Original Poster

Companion Upgrade/new upgrade rules

Hi all -

I have a quick question - it appears that the companion upgrade time frame has changed from 12 hours to 24 hours pre departure, correct? We're currently numbers 1 and 2 on the standby list, with 4 seats in first available (del 1751 tomorrow), so my assumption had been that we'd be cleared at the 24 hour mark but not yet. In practice, when will we clear (my husband doesn't have medallion status) - tonight after midnight or at any point between now and our departure?

Thanks in advance!!

Sarah
Old Aug 12, 2010, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL Plat, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Gold
ExpertFlyer is showing 0 for V class, which you'd need two after everyone else cleared to be upgraded, they probably wont open those 4 till tomorrow before your flt.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:03 pm

also be forewarned that many delta agents are not yet aware of the inclusion of LUT fares for companion upgrade eligibility and you might have some gentle explaining to do if it doesn't go through automatically. i was told by a ticket agent at OAK the other day that because my companion purchased a T fare she was ineligible (despite the TA acknowledging that she was on the list already...). as usual, the new information i presented was not well received. i think i need to work on my delivery.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
I had an incompetent agent try and tell me that pax had to be on the same PNR.... and then put an NRSA into the F seat on LAX-MCO redeye. The Diamond desk was equally worthless telling me first that Northwest (err Delta) never had a K+ restriction and that they had to be on the same PNR. he then told me that he was going to document my "illegal" upgrades.

Supervisor apologized but, by that point, said there was nothing she could do.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by Vuelos
I had an incompetent agent try and tell me that pax had to be on the same PNR.... and then put an NRSA into the F seat on LAX-MCO redeye. The Diamond desk was equally worthless telling me first that Northwest (err Delta) never had a K+ restriction and that they had to be on the same PNR. he then told me that he was going to document my "illegal" upgrades.

I posted last month about this after THREE phone calls to Medallion desk where each agent stated categorically that I could not upgrade a companion on an L fare (and one whom went further still and said that companion upgrades are done at the airport only and NEVER on the phone).

The fact that so many agents are so poorly trained needs to be urgently addressed.

SMI - we appreciate (at least I do) all the enhancements that are coming online like award ticket upgrades, companion upgrades on all fares, 24 hour window. But the DL management team has GOT to do a better job of disseminating this information to your front line.

There are just too many agents (and too many FT reports) whom are not informed about changes, and whom refuse to assist.

Vuelos - sorry to hear about your issue - it sucks that Delta's inability to train their staff properly resulted in you getting denied your upgrade.
Old Aug 12, 2010, 3:09 pm

Programs: DYKWIA Extraordinaire. TrollSlayer Mega Diamond. [insert esoteric sounding status level(s) here]
Originally Posted by SamuelS
Vuelos - sorry to hear about your issue - it sucks that Delta's inability to train their staff properly resulted in you getting denied your upgrade.
Luckily I was in F however my companion wasn't as pleased...
Old Aug 12, 2010, 4:14 pm

Programs: AA GLD Skymiles DM MM, a+ rewards lifetime elite, AS, Marriott plat, PC plat, HH gold
sjsmn- welcome to flyertalk!
Old Sep 19, 2010, 11:48 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by SamuelS
SMI - we appreciate (at least I do) all the enhancements that are coming online like award ticket upgrades, companion upgrades on all fares, 24 hour window. But the DL management team has GOT to do a better job of disseminating this information to your front line.
OK, an update.

I had never requested a companion upgrade in my life, but I had occasion to do so for the first time tonight for a quick little trip to New Orleans in October for a football game. The companion has no status.

I called, and the pleasant agent immediately put in the upgrade request. He then added, "she'll clear at 12 hours out." I replied, "isn't it 24 hours now?" He said, "no, that's the silver window, then companions clear at 12 hours."

I didn't argue. I just hung up after thanking him.

But the point is, even simple little changes like this either don't get communicated or don't register with the frontline agents. To my knowledge, this change from 24 to 12 hours is now several months old, yet the phone agents still confidently quote outdated rules.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 5:56 am

Programs: DL PM '04; Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by decibel08
also be forewarned that many delta agents are not yet aware of the inclusion of LUT fares for companion upgrade eligibility and you might have some gentle explaining to do if it doesn't go through automatically. i was told by a ticket agent at OAK the other day that because my companion purchased a T fare she was ineligible (despite the TA acknowledging that she was on the list already...). as usual, the new information i presented was not well received. i think i need to work on my delivery.
with a call sign of decibel08 - maybe it's not your delivery but your volume?!
Old Sep 20, 2010, 6:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Vuelos

I think it's nonsense that the supervisor couldn't do anything. My understanding is that until the aircraft leaves the gate, NRSAs can be kicked off--for example if a late-connecting revenue pasesenger shows up or someone purchases a ticket very late. The NRSA should have been reseated in coach by the supervisor. (Not so nice for them, but you and your companion are paid passengers while the NRSAs travel under the stated terms of the NRSA program.) Complain to DL.
Old Sep 20, 2010, 7:27 am

Programs: DL PM MM, AA Platinum Pro, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I also noticed that at the gate they will not add anyone to the list, or at least I haven't been able to get them to. They have at the skyclub on the day of departure, with no questions asked. Remind any agents that don't know the rules to read their website:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ades/index.jsp

The companion upgrade section is at the bottom. I've had some pretty good luck with a little bit gentle persuasion when running into uninformed agents. It always surprises me how long it takes DL employees to catch up to any changes they announce to us. There are still agents that board first class with zone one all at once, and that change has been in place for a while now!
Old Sep 28, 2010, 9:44 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by DLmedalliongold
I also noticed that at the gate they will not add anyone to the list, or at least I haven't been able to get them to. They have at the skyclub on the day of departure, with no questions asked. Remind any agents that don't know the rules to read their website:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...ades/index.jsp

The companion upgrade section is at the bottom. I've had some pretty good luck with a little bit gentle persuasion when running into uninformed agents. It always surprises me how long it takes DL employees to catch up to any changes they announce to us. There are still agents that board first class with zone one all at once, and that change has been in place for a while now!
The reason the GAs won't process your companion UG request is because the request must be made at least 3 hours before departure. This information is available near the bottom of the same page that you quoted above:

http://www.delta.com/skymiles/about_...jsp##companion

Both passengers must be ticketed, and upgrades must be requested at least three hours before the scheduled departure of the flight. Except as stated in this section, the rules governing complimentary Medallion member upgrades also apply to companion upgrades.

I would consider yourself lucky if you've had SC agents waive this policy.
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The three hour deadline is the frustrating part of the rule for me. I rarely upgrade companions, but most of the time when I do, it's because I realize at the airport than a friend or colleague is on my flight. It seems silly to go around at meetings and quiz people on their travel itineraries to be able to call DL and beat the three-hour rule. (For the record, I do not try to upgrade random strangers, even if they're cute, although I recently thought about guesting someone into the lounge whom I had been talking with at the airport when a flight was badly delayed.)
Old Sep 28, 2010, 11:39 am

Programs: DL, AS, Marriott, Hyatt, National
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The three hour deadline is the frustrating part of the rule for me. I rarely upgrade companions, but most of the time when I do, it's because I realize at the airport than a friend or colleague is on my flight. It seems silly to go around at meetings and quiz people on their travel itineraries to be able to call DL and beat the three-hour rule. (For the record, I do not try to upgrade random strangers, even if they're cute, although I recently thought about guesting someone into the lounge whom I had been talking with at the airport when a flight was badly delayed.)
You have a really good point, and I can definitely see why the rule can be frustrating (I have yet to use the companion UG benefit). After all, it's not like the GAs are processing any BFUGs that early.
Old Oct 22, 2010, 11:19 am

Skymiles Member and Flying Blue Companion

Hi

my companion on our next flight is a Silver Skymiles member and I'm Platinum with Flying Blue. Do they enforce the rule that the companion must be a Skymiles member please?

Also the trip is a daily East-bound transcontinental with one stop, MD90 then 757, it shows F9 P9 A9 two weeks from the trip and is pretty full in Y, how do you see the chances of upgrade?

Thanks!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.