FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   DL expanded more international routes MSP-MEX/CDG/LHR (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1097925-dl-expanded-more-international-routes-msp-mex-cdg-lhr.html)

N830MH Jun 21, 2010 3:06 pm

DL expanded more international routes MSP-MEX/CDG/LHR

Hi All,

DL announced nonstop MSP-MEX & MSP-LHR/CDG, too. As for MSP-CDG will goes for year-round long instead of seasonally flight. I believe the routes are very successful out of MSP-CDG. MSP-LHR will increase to became daily during in wintertime. So here the official news releases from DL.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Delta-....html?x=0&.v=1

Let's the speculations begin.

Regards

golfingboy Jun 21, 2010 4:59 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 14171823)

Let's the speculations begin.

Regards

How is it speculation when an official announcement has been made? :p

Anyhow, nice seeing MSP getting more international flights, especially CDG... Now passengers will have the option to connect in either CDG or AMS.

MEX is a little surprising but we will see if that will last.

Every1 Get A Life Jun 21, 2010 5:15 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 14172402)

MEX is a little surprising but we will see if that will hold up despise its struggles to draw more passengers.

I don't understand this sentence. How can it struggle to draw more passengers when it hasn't started?

Best Buy, General Mills, 3M and Cargill all have operations in MEX. Not saying it will be a sure winner...but it has some things going for it.

golfingboy Jun 21, 2010 6:00 pm

I meant general MEX-US routes... MEX-LAX is not doing too great across all carriers [probably too much capacity] especially after the swine flu and with all the increased media hype about drug-related crimes... I am just surprised that Delta is starting this route since it will take some demand away from the already struggling MEX routes.

However, you mentioned those major corporations that have operations in MEX, so we should see how it pans out.

dereiziger Jun 21, 2010 6:25 pm

MSP also has a sizeable hispanic population....

Exiled in Express Jun 21, 2010 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by dereiziger (Post 14172848)
MSP also has a sizeable

population that can't take 4 months of winter uninterrupted. I saw it in the Strib and thought it was an odd destination and start date (Dec 18) then realized I will likely try to get on it in January.:D

mersk862 Jun 21, 2010 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by Exiled in Express (Post 14172877)
population that can't take 4 months of winter uninterrupted. I saw it in the Strib and thought it was an odd destination and start date (Dec 18) then realized I will likely try to get on it in January.:D

The route does give one more option to get to those Mexican beach destinations - with the new terminal at MEX, it should be pretty easy to connect via MEX to get to the beach if you can't grab a nonstop.

dereiziger Jun 21, 2010 6:42 pm

mersk -- i hear you there!!!!!!! and i think the same everytime i see the temperature at -15 or below and i start to get a chill in my bones and decide its time to close the windows for the winter.... now I can think, Mexico here I come... bring on the margaritas...

Davescj Jun 21, 2010 7:24 pm

I think MEX will last due to biz in the two cities. Further, AM will slap a code-share onto the route, which will help.

CDG makes total sense, as pointed out, for the hub to hub push. I'm sure this will be a code share as well.

Dave

TheMoose Jun 22, 2010 6:53 am

The new MSP-MEX is a slot that NW (and AM) were eyeing for years. Glad DL made it a reality.

However the "news" about CDG/LHR is non-news. NW was flying both of those routes daily before the merger and DL continued it after the merger (albeit with smaller, older aircraft). Then DL cut them to either seasonal or 5x weekly. So this is simply a restoration of past service.

WBurcham Jun 22, 2010 7:20 am

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 14175062)
The new MSP-MEX is a slot that NW (and AM) were eyeing for years. Glad DL made it a reality.

However the "news" about CDG/LHR is non-news. NW was flying both of those routes daily before the merger and DL continued it after the merger (albeit with smaller, older aircraft). Then DL cut them to either seasonal or 5x weekly. So this is simply a restoration of past service.

Maybe I missed something but I didn't know that NW had LHR slots! I learn something new every day.

3Cforme Jun 22, 2010 8:00 am

Originally Posted by TheMoose (Post 14175062)

When did NW previously operate daily, year-round, MSP-LON and MSP-CDG service? With what aircraft?

TheMoose Jun 22, 2010 8:13 am

Originally Posted by WBurcham (Post 14175173)
Maybe I missed something but I didn't know that NW had LHR slots! I learn something new every day.

NW (and KL) was granted LHR slots in 2007 and began daily service from MSP-LHR on 3/30/2008. DTW/SEA also had LHR slots that began a few months later.

EAGAN, Minn. -- Northwest Airlines (NYSE:NWA), in cooperation with its joint venture partner, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines, today announced an expansion of its trans-Atlantic route network with three new daily nonstop flights to London Heathrow Airport from Detroit, Minneapolis/St. Paul and Seattle.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m.../ai_n21149700/

Originally Posted by 3Cforme (Post 14175353)
When did NW previously operate daily, year-round, MSP-LON and MSP-CDG service? With what aircraft?

NW previously offered MSP-LGW for years, first with the DC-10 then with the A330s. As noted above, they also gained LHR slots in late 2007 with service beginning in 2008.

MSP-CDG was announced in October 2007 with service beginning on 4/8/2008. It was operated with the A330-300. This was combined with additional codeshare flights on AF out of CDG carrying the "NW" marketing code to enable easier connections via CDG.

A new daily nonstop service from Minneapolis/St. Paul to Paris, France is to be launched by Northwest Airlines (NYSE: NWA), effective 8 April 2008.

The airline said that the new flight will be offered in cooperation with its joint venture partner, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines.

The new route will be operated using Airbus A330-300 aircraft, offering 34 seats in World Business Class and 264 economy class seats.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...g=content;col1

So, as I said, simply a restoration of past service, albeit with smaller, older aircraft. :rolleyes:

itsaboutthejourney Jun 22, 2010 10:50 am

Originally Posted by WBurcham (Post 14175173)

It was my understanding that they basically swapped a KL LGW/LHR-AMS slot. Again, the power of the joint venture NW had with KL. Emphasis on had, as Dulta seems to have lost a lot of cooperation with KL.

respectable_man Jun 23, 2010 7:12 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy (Post 14172402)
MEX is a little surprising but we will see if that will last.

Not really. NW used to funnel a good number of pax to various Mexican destinations via IAH on CO codeshares. DL is simply leveraging the AM network to replace the destinations lost (in Mexico per se and also in Central and South America) when CO left. This will add numerous additional options to reach various Mexican cities.

By and large this is very good news ^. Indeed the new terminal is easy to navigate and reasonably user-friendly. There is an inter-city bus station (in fact there is one at each terminal) for shorter distances (Puebla, Cuernavaca, etc)