Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Paying with combination of Points / Cash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Is this possible? If so, how does the breakdown on this work? Thanks
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: DL 1MM/DM, SPG Platinum, Pete's Brass Rail & Car Wash Beer Club
Originally Posted by bigcahonna
Yes, this is possible when you are logged into delta.dumb with your SM account. Delta values 100 miles per $1, with the ability to pay in increments of 10,000 miles. The least amount of miles you can use doing this is 10,000 which is worth $100 of your fare. So for instance, a $350 flight can be paid for with 30,000 miles and $50 or 10,000 miles and $250, etc....
Old Jun 3, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: Delta PM
if you have a Delta AMEX you can do a 'partial pay with miles.' When you are going to pay for your reservation, if you have a 'pay with miles' eligible itinerary, you will have the option of using various increments of skymiles to reduce your out-of-pocket cost for a ticket. It is usually 10,000 miles = $100 off.

Keep in mind you will not earn skymiles on your reservation if you do a partial pay with miles and you will also (theoretically) not be eligible for complementary medallion upgrades (if this applies to you).
Old Jun 3, 2010, 4:53 pm

Programs: DL 3MM Diamond
But it has to be a Gold, Platinum or Reserve level card Skymiles Amex to do Pay with Miles.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 5:30 pm
Original Poster

On delta.com, but I can't find the pay with partial miles options. Does "book skymiles award ticket" have to be checked? When I do check it and when I get to the check-out page, it says I don't have enough miles for full ticket, but that it can hold the reservation for me; but I see no pay with cash option. Same thing when I try to book through the regular process; I see no pay with miles option.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
before nwa.com was turned into delta.dumb, you could use a program called PerkChoice where you used miles for one portion of the trip and points for the other. (The paid portion earned miles, EQMs and even had upgrades for elites)

It was a wonderful program that's gone, but Dulta says will come back in "late 2011"
Old Jun 3, 2010, 8:52 pm
Original Poster

Can somebody explain how to book with points and cash on Delta's website?
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ates/index.jsp

Scroll down to the section labeled "Coming in 2011":
Miles and money Award

We will re-introduce the former PerkChoice program, which allowed members to combine miles and money when buying a ticket. This program feature will supplement our existing Pay with Miles program for current Delta SkyMiles Gold, Platinum and Reserve SkyMiles Cardmembers from American Express.
Old Jun 3, 2010, 9:23 pm

Programs: DL PM
You do it with the revenue booking engine. You must be logged in and you must have one of either the Gold, Platinum or Reserve Delta Skymiles AMEX cards linked to your account. On the flight selection screen, some itineraries (IIRC those with all DL metal) will display "pay with miles elligible" underneath the "select" button. After selecting the flight(s) you want, you get to the summary page. Right above the "review and purchase" button, there's a drop down box where you can select the number of miles you would like to use to reduce the purchase price. Select what you want and hit purchase.

Last edited by runninaway; Jun 3, 2010 at 9:24 pm Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.