Wiki Posts
Search

Just booked an award flight on AS/KE

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2010, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Just booked an award flight on AS/KE

I'm usually pretty critical of DL's low mileage award availability, so imagine my surprise when I was actually able to find flights for my trip to China in October on KE. For 60k miles total, I was able to book SFO-SEA-ICN-PEK, and return PVG-ICN-SFO.
I looked for flights on DL first, but only came up with medium level awards for the entire month of October (120k). Called in to ask for availability on KE, and the helpful lady couldn't find anything going out of SFO to PEK, but when I asked her to check LAX and SEA, she found a spot from SEA. A few clicks later, I had my SFO-SEA leg on AS, and the rest booked on KE.
Very surprised and very happy!
Old May 25, 2010, 11:31 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
I hear that partner awards are often easier than Delta's own metal.

Now if only they could be booked online a la NWA...
Old May 25, 2010, 11:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Yes, going to Asia earlier this year I was able to find an AS/KE combination, as well. Many agents will tell you that KE is blocked, or doesn't even fly certain routes when they do.

Glad you were able to get some value out of your DL miles.
Old May 25, 2010, 11:47 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Not surprising at all. KE's coach award is very easy to find, even for TPAC flights.
Old May 26, 2010, 12:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA, AA, AS, Marriott Platinum Elite, Hilton Diamond
Yeah I've heard about DL's wholesale blocking of KE awards on certain dates even when there is availability. Luckily I think between Sept and Dec there are no blackout dates.

Blug, didn't know KE Y awards were very easy to find. But if it is, that's great news for all of us!
Old May 26, 2010, 12:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by glu800
Blug, didn't know KE Y awards were very easy to find. But if it is, that's great news for all of us!
I've never flown KE Y, but have flown Biz a number of times. Great service, decent seats. I'd try to check for Biz seats if you have the miles.
Old May 26, 2010, 6:25 am

I had assumed from what I've heard on FT that KE awards (using DL miles) in coach were relatively easy to find but that business seats were much more difficult to find. Based on folk's recent personal experiences has that changed?
Old May 26, 2010, 10:52 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
KE coach seats are easy, but still often there is just one per flight for US-ICN flights, so if two people travelling together may need to travel a day apart.

ICN-Asia flights however seem to be generally wide open. Earlier this week got an iteneary with 4 KE and 1 DL flight and a second with two KE and 1 DL. Much to my surprise, of all the flights got my first pick! I had done my homework before calling and for each intra-Asia segment had 3 direct KE options, then also one or two connecting MU and CZ options, but in all cases got the first preferred direct KE flight.

Very helpful and knowledgeable DL agent who pieced it together (didn't find KE flights "one way" or "second way" but kept trying until DulltaMatic stopped hiding it and blocking it), and also the agent who stayed on the phone (while on hold with "internal help desk") for the over an hour (as usual..) it took to actually get it ticketed.

KE business is not worth it if in old Prestige seats. Those are just awful, IMHO. The service and food is good (far better than anything Delta), but the seats are, at least in my opinion, worse than the same aircraft coach exit row seats. And KE has been known to have aircraft with Prestige Plus (somewhat better, though still not that great) scheduled on a route, then downgrade it to the old Prestige with no notice. Not good.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.