How to get more MQM miles

Subscribe
Whats the secret to getting more MQM's?
Seems lots of offers for bonus miles but they don't count towards status.

I need to make Diamond
Quote: Whats the secret to getting more MQM's?

I need to make Diamond
You need to fly or get a Delta American Express card that offers MQMs. To earn MQMs faster you can buy higher fares (First/Business Class and Y/B/M economy fares) and you will earn 1.5 MQMs for every mile you fly.

Welcome to FT!
Fly more... sorry, but it's true. That and the Delta AMEX are the only ways to do it.

Quote:
They usually don't. Fly more or get the Delta AMEX.

Quote:
I need to make Diamond
Um... biggest. overexagerration. ever?? "need"??
Quote: Fly more... sorry, but it's true. That and the Delta AMEX are the only ways to do it.
There are some other possibilities during the year but you'll have to wait and see:
1. Hilton - DL has been known to run promos with Hilton but that's not currently available. Don't expect too much though - last time it was 500MQM for a 2night stay.
2. Promos - DL did match a 2X MQM/EQM promo round that many airlines did in the first part of last year but DL skipped the game when it happened again later in the year.

Personally though the earlier posts are right - its usually either flying (learn the fine art of MR'ing) or Amex. Amex can be gamed a little - see the threads in SPAM about the Dollar coins.
Fly from a nearby airport to the hub. I used to do that until the EAU-MSP route was nixed. An easy 1000 MQMs each week. I did that when I first started flying to get into Silver, Gold, and Plat. They pile up fast!

Fly with 1 stop once per month or do it every other 3rd flight. Easy way to get an extra 1000 or more MQMs per month.

MR run to Europe for a weekend. Use points for hotel. Easy way to get 8000 MQMs from my MSP hub.

Get the AMEX Plat for 10,000 MQMs if spending $25K per year. I put everything in that card. It saves the pain of multiple MRs.
Fly to Tokyo every month. Works great for me.

Seriously though, I don't get this "I need to make diamond, how can I do it on the cheap?" mentality. The whole point of the program is to reward loyalty. Drop $5k a month on Delta and they will reward the loyalty, that's the whole point. You can't expect to get something for nothing (or what amounts to nothing).

I need to make Diamond
Can you spend six figures annually on a credit card (business expenses, taxes, lots of personal spending, or a combination of these)? If so, get several Delta-branded Amex cards (up to two Reserve, two Platinum for yourself, additional Reserve cards for a family member or friend who will transfer MQMs to you when earned, if needed) and spend away. Two Reserves and two Platinums will get you 5K MQMs short of Diamond Medallion (if you don't include signup bonuses... include those and you'll go well past the first year).
Let me rephrase.
I do about 6000 miles per month.
Add that up thats 72000 a year, a little short even with my rollover of 23K.
Segments I do 12 segments a month. So that just makes it.
Issue is some months I don't do 12.
Last year I ended at 96K miles and 136 segments.
So I will be just shy.
So I am looking for a 10K boost.
I guess amex card is the only way.
I will do this to help ensure my earnings.
I doubt I will make the $25K, since I prefer to use other cards.
But the initial bonus will be a boost.
Thanks.
Quote: Let me rephrase.
I do about 6000 miles per month.
Issue is some months I don't do 12.
Last year I ended at 96K miles and 136 segments.
So I will be just shy.
So I am looking for a 10K boost.
I guess amex card is the only way.
I will do this to help ensure my earnings.
I doubt I will make the $25K, since I prefer to use other cards.
But the initial bonus will be a boost.
Thanks.
If you don't mind flying, turn some business trips into MRs. Before I was flying enough I would take a trip like RDU-ATL-DEN and fly RDU-ATL-PHX-SLC-DEN and same on the return. Had to fly all day to do it but tripled my MQMs and added a few segments.
Fly or Amex is the way to go.
Quote: If you don't mind flying, turn some business trips into MRs. Before I was flying enough I would take a trip like RDU-ATL-DEN and fly RDU-ATL-PHX-SLC-DEN and same on the return. Had to fly all day to do it but tripled my MQMs and added a few segments.
Glad to know I'm not the only practitioner of business ---> MR travel; the only problem is keeping the fare differential (read "out-of-pocket cost") somewhat manageable, esp when most travel is reasonably short-notice

A couple years ago AS was offering DCA-LAX-SEA-SNA for around $275, which was essentially 1000 free miles for the same fare as DCA-SEA-SNA

Don't know where the OP is or where they fly, but strategic routing is an easy option ... I'm in DC, so I generally go to/from Florida via DTW rather than ATL; to/from the west coast via JFK rather than anywhere in the middle of the country (yeah, I know, this summer will be tough with the delays associated with runway construction); to/from ABQ or COS via SLC ... also look for alternate cities where Y/B/M fares are available; in my case BWI-DAY in M (and often in A) is obviously a better choice than DCA-DAY in K even if the trek to/from the airport is 2.5x longer
Quote:  Fly to Tokyo every month. Works great for me.
東京に行く間に何をしますか(またはしよか。FLYERTALKでみなさんは友だちですね)

Quote: The whole point of the program is to reward loyalty.
I tend to agree...

Quote: I do about 6000 miles per month.
Now, since I saw your other post (regarding the segments), I noticed that you make status mainly on segments and not on mileage. If I were you, I would consider adding (occasionally) a connection to some of the flights to increase the number of connections. With 136 segments, you can easily ensure being a DM by adding few segments and not making it 'heavy' expense on your account.

It may even leave you with a nice rollover, which can be used to rest from time to time (I personally love the rollover because it keeps me loyal to DL over the longrun and allows my partner and I to actually spend some time together this year, and catch back with the roads later).

If you had to make it on mileage (and it does not seem to be the case), MR is the way. I think you can find cheap flight to Tokyo and beyond through mid-may...sometimes, you can even do it with KLM/AF (but always check the fare bucket, some do not earn miles...)

Welcome to FT!
Quote: If you don't mind flying, turn some business trips into MRs. Before I was flying enough I would take a trip like RDU-ATL-DEN and fly RDU-ATL-PHX-SLC-DEN and same on the return. Had to fly all day to do it but tripled my MQMs and added a few segments.
Yup...I like this one as well.
I did:
MSN-DTW-PDX-AMS-TLS-AMS-PDX-DTW-MSP-MSN
and
MSN-DTW-MSP-AMS-CDG-AMS-ATL-MSP-MSN

Added quite a few MQMs over MSN-DTW-Europe-DTW-MSN (and was actually cheaper) .
Quote: Fly or Amex is the way to go.
o.k., I have the regular Delta Amex card. So how can I get more MQMs? Do I have to upgrade to a different card?
Quote: o.k., I have the regular Delta Amex card. So how can I get more MQMs? Do I have to upgrade to a different card?
Yes. Both the Platinum and Reserve cards offer "MilesBoost" opportunities which give out MQMs at specific annual spend levels.