Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre Flight Beverage Service, fading fast

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:43 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond, Some other impressive stuff

It's been a long time since I have seen anything but bottled water before wheels up in FC. I'm not a fanatic about it, often there is just no time or the catering is late or pick a reason that makes sense. BUT, when I board 30 minutes before the flight, carts are there, 4 flight attendants, and boarding is proceeding normally that is different.

I flew MSP-SFO last week boarded way early and asked if there was to be a pre flight beverage. You would have thought I asked for a carving table for prime rib. The junior flight attendant looked at me like I was crazy, but he did confirm with the senior flight attendant that "it just isn't done anymore".

This may be just a get a life comment, but hey it is FIRST CLASS.
KOTAR1988 and mctaste like this.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Executive Elite
Not seen much decline, if any

Whilst occasionally there has been no pre-flight drink, on most of my flights this year there has been, even if the FA has had to fight up and down the line of people boarding in coach.
kthomas and tcspears like this.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:51 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
If this is true (and hopefully it isn't), I will be pretty PO'd. The reasons I board early are twofold; ensure OH space, and enjoy a preflight drink. Perhaps some of the lurking FAs could chime in here to see if this is accurate.
kthomas and KOTAR1988 like this.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Every time that there is a lack of pre-flight drinks, send DL an e-mail. There's no excuse for it.
kthomas likes this.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:52 pm

I've seen just the opposite. In my experience (as an NWA-lover) the PFD was something that the NWA crews used any excuse (late catering, full flight) to avoid - even when they had 15 or 20 uninterrupted minutes to use to yap among themselves.

The Delta crews always were near 100% perfect with the PFD, and since the takeover I've had better luck even with the NWA crews - suggesting that their Delta trainers had made a point of stressing the importance of the PFD.

Maybe a Delta FA can let us know what policy, but in my flights lately it's been a consistent PFD on each one.

I am really surprised, and I don't think "it just isn't done anymore."

I would TTU with the date and a description or name of the FAs involved, because I think they were wrong, and out of line to push back on you for asking.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:54 pm
KLC
In Memoriam

Originally Posted by frequentfoulup
... The junior flight attendant looked at me like I was crazy, but he did confirm with the senior flight attendant that "it just isn't done anymore"....
I haven't seen any reduction in the preflight FC beverage service on my long-standing DL routes. It does seem that out of DTW or MSP the FAs find a long list of things to do before asking anyone if they'd like a drink, but even then, I haven't heard the "isn't done anymore" comment.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 1:54 pm

5 posts in 2 minutes!
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:22 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Pre-Flight Beverages

There's been a PFB service every time I've been in F in 2010. PFB service in F is Delta's policy dating back to the first time I managed to get into Delta First, which was in 1984.

A couple of times last year, when I was on either a MD-88 or a 737-800, the FAs announced that they were running short on time and would not do a PFB service--the excuse is that there are so many people in the aisles, they couldn't get through the crowds to serve the drinks.

This excuse doesn't hold any water when one is on a 757 and door 2L is used for boarding.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:26 pm

Programs: DL - Platinum, DL RW, UAL - Premier, Marriott Plat Elite, Hyatt Diamond, AA Plat, Nat Car Exe Elite
No PFD on flight from MSP to FSD

Was in first and had a commuting FA sitting across the aisle. We boarded quickly and then sat.....announcement that we had a mechanical and would be delayed by at least 15 minutes. Next announcement, another 15 minutes.
I asked the working FA if I could have a drink, she looked at me like I had two heads and curtly said "NO" and then walked away. The commuting FA looked at me and burst out laughing. She couldn't believe it and told me I should write a letter, that that was unacceptable.

I guess the dragon lady FA was having a bad day.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:33 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by gpscuba2000
Was in first and had a commuting FA sitting across the aisle. We boarded quickly and then sat.....announcement that we had a mechanical and would be delayed by at least 15 minutes. Next announcement, another 15 minutes.
I asked the working FA if I could have a drink, she looked at me like I had two heads and curtly said "NO" and then walked away. The commuting FA looked at me and burst out laughing. She couldn't believe it and told me I should write a letter, that that was unacceptable.

I guess the dragon lady FA was having a bad day.
I had the opposite experience last year with a NW FA. The FA started asking pax if they wanted a drink. The commuting FA was in the first row and mentioned that the FA really didn't need to do that on such a short flight (I forget what the city pair was, but it was on a CRJ-900). The FA stopped asking. Prety sad.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 2:54 pm
Original Member

Location: Los Angeles, CA - Nearly 4 Million Actual Miles Flown
As long as I have been flying DL in F (since the early 1980s), this has been something that DL was known for. We can't let this service degrade. AndyTLe is right. Let them know
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
the only times i've seen no service in recent months was when catering was still on the plane or the flight was running super late... the FAs are usually good about apologizing for no pre-flight drinks if there is an issue (sometimes - not always)..
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:08 pm

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
Only time its not been performed this year was on an MD88 late in-bound and they wanted to make up time. I am cool with that.
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: DL GM (AMEX Reserve), HHonors Gold, Avis 1st
I'm 4/5 this year on PFB service... the missed one was due to boarding rush after mechanical repair. Today we had limited service (SAT-MEM on the CRJ 900) - bottled water or OJ - but they had an equipment change just before getting us on the aircraft, so I'm willing to give them a pass on that. I definitely wouldn't say PFB service is passe (can't find my accent key ).
Old Mar 22, 2010, 3:23 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
I have not seen any drastic change in the pre-departure beverage service... The only exception has been on regional jets and on flights where the incoming aircraft was delayed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.