FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles-665/)
-   -   How does Delta use fare codes to upgrade passengers (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1061652-how-does-delta-use-fare-codes-upgrade-passengers.html)

buffewo Mar 10, 2010 7:10 pm

How does Delta use fare codes to upgrade passengers

I'm a DP member who gets upgraded quite often and have often wondered how the fare code is used to determine my upgrade status. What are the different Delta fare codes and how do they factor into the upgrade system? Thanks in advance.

3Cforme Mar 10, 2010 7:18 pm

'Domestic' Medallion upgrades are prioritized by elite level, then fare class, with Amex Reserve, then by time of purchase. This post describes it, but there is no longer an Executive Partner level.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12775919-post10.html

mspnw1993 Mar 10, 2010 7:59 pm

Spring 2010
DM T beats PM B AxR

This is the second best benefit of the DM level. I would always get hosed by 75,001 PMs with higher fares than my 150k PM with a T fare.

if you are wondering on my pecking order, best DM benefits are:
1. Unlimited mileage redeposits (makes you think it is NWA again)
2. DM T beats PM B AxR
3. Complimentary Sky Club
4. Upgrades on international award tickets (not sure this is really #4, because a silver on a T fare would have priority over me, thus the upgrade is a pipe dream, but it wasn't even an "official benefit" on NWA on a MSP to NRT award ticket before the merger. It may have happened, but thou shall not mention it.)

Now what does a guy have to do to get a working award calendar and some low level BE international seats? seriously people, ....

ifette Mar 11, 2010 3:17 pm

Was nice being #1 of 12 as a DM on a U fare JFK-SFO.

andrew10412 Mar 11, 2010 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by mspnw1993 (Post 13552972)
4. Upgrades on international award tickets (not sure this is really #4, because a silver on a T fare would have priority over me, thus the upgrade is a pipe dream, but it wasn't even an "official benefit" on NWA on a MSP to NRT award ticket before the merger. It may have happened, but thou shall not mention it.)

upgrades on international award tickets???

mspnw1993 Mar 12, 2010 10:43 am

Originally Posted by andrew10412 (Post 13558530)
upgrades on international award tickets???

The 2010 medallion benefits chart now shows award ticket upgrades as launching summer 2010. (previously it said Spring 2010)

Source: https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ance/index.jsp

GBadger Mar 12, 2010 10:50 am

Originally Posted by mspnw1993 (Post 13563492)
The 2010 medallion benefits chart now shows award ticket upgrades as launching summer 2010. (previously it said Spring 2010)

Source: https://www.delta.com/skymiles/about...ance/index.jsp

Sorry, but that does not include trans-oceanic (i.e. TATL, TPAC) flights. You will not be upgraded on these flights on PAID tickets, let alone award tickets. This was never ANY (official or not) benefit on NWA. The "unofficial" upgrades that were occuring there were only for a small number of PE/GE members, and only on PAID (again, not award) tickets.

mspnw1993 Mar 12, 2010 10:58 am

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 13563546)
Sorry, but that does not include trans-oceanic (i.e. TATL, TPAC) flights. You will not be upgraded on these flights on PAID tickets, let alone award tickets. This was never ANY (official or not) benefit on NWA. The "unofficial" upgrades that were occuring there were only for a small number of PE/GE members, and only on PAID (again, not award) tickets.

i must be better at sweet talking the gate agent then you when traveling TPAC on an award ticket.

GBadger Mar 12, 2010 10:59 am

Originally Posted by mspnw1993 (Post 13563586)
i must be better at sweet talking the gate agent then you when traveling TPAC on an award ticket.

Perfectly possible, but it's not a DM benefit.

mspnw1993 Mar 12, 2010 11:03 am

Originally Posted by GBadger (Post 13563546)

I don't see anything in the fine print that excludes TATL and TPAC.

Will I get an upgrade on my existing Award Ticket booked in 2010? When will Award Ticket Upgrades clear?

Award Tickets that are booked once this benefit is launched will be eligible for an upgrade, based on the rules of the Award Upgrade program. Until then any existing Award Tickets will not be eligible for complimentary upgrades.
Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallions traveling on Award Tickets will clear beginning 1 day before departure but not until all Silver Medallions booked on discounted fares are cleared. Clearance will be based on tier level starting with Diamond Medallions.

Terms and Conditions:
Complimentary upgrades are subject to availability and may not be available on all flights or in all markets. Taxes (and if applicable, fees) for Award Travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the ticket is booked. Award Travel seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or in all markets. Offers and benefits subject to change without notice. Economy Award reservations will be upgraded to First Class beginning 24 hours prior to departure based on availability. Award upgrades are available for the Medallion member only.

secretsea18 Mar 12, 2010 11:34 am

Originally Posted by mspnw1993 (Post 13563612)

Will I get an upgrade on my existing Award Ticket booked in 2010? When will Award Ticket Upgrades clear?

Award Tickets that are booked once this benefit is launched will be eligible for an upgrade, based on the rules of the Award Upgrade program. Until then any existing Award Tickets will not be eligible for complimentary upgrades.
Diamond, Platinum and Gold Medallions traveling on Award Tickets will clear beginning 1 day before departure but not until all Silver Medallions booked on discounted fares are cleared. Clearance will be based on tier level starting with Diamond Medallions.

Terms and Conditions:
Complimentary upgrades are subject to availability and may not be available on all flights or in all markets. Taxes (and if applicable, fees) for Award Travel are the responsibility of the passenger and must be paid at the time the ticket is booked. Award Travel seats are limited and may not be available on all flights or in all markets. Offers and benefits subject to change without notice. Economy Award reservations will be upgraded to First Class beginning 24 hours prior to departure based on availability. Award upgrades are available for the Medallion member only.

Here is the issue.... First Class does not exist on TATL or TPAC flights... it is called BusinessElite on those transoceanic flights...

GBadger Mar 12, 2010 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by mspnw1993 (Post 13563612)

As pointed out, this is for domestic/Canada/Mexico/Central America/Caribbean flights with "domestic" F cabins.

DL does not provide complimentary upgrades to BE on flights like MSP-NRT for paid tickets, and it's not about to start doing so for award tickets.

buffewo Mar 14, 2010 1:23 pm

Thank you! I didn't know about the AMEX Reserve priority. Cost wise, and I know this varies, what ticket codes are usually similar in cost, i.e. there is only a $20 difference between B and K, so always buy a B coded ticket...etc,