Wiki Posts
Search

Mileage Upgrade on Paid Int'l U Fare?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Diamond Hyatt; Platinum DL, AA, SPG; Gold UA
Mileage Upgrade on Paid Int'l U Fare?

I'm trying to decipher the DL mileage upgrade award charts.

I'm considering buying a DL ticket from DTW-HKG on a U Fare, then upgrading with miles.

Can I do this? I thought U was a nonupgradable fare, but the chart doesn't note it clearly. Based on my read of the chart, I'll be looking at 25k miles each way for a single-class upgrade (Coach-->Business)....

Thoughts?
Old Mar 13, 2010, 11:59 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, BIS 2.4MM, EK Gold, SQ Gold, Marriott Gold, HH Gold,
Originally Posted by mcavin
I'm trying to decipher the DL mileage upgrade award charts.

I'm considering buying a DL ticket from DTW-HKG on a U Fare, then upgrading with miles.

Can I do this? I thought U was a nonupgradable fare, but the chart doesn't note it clearly. Based on my read of the chart, I'll be looking at 25k miles each way for a single-class upgrade (Coach-->Business)....

Thoughts?
No, you cannot do this. M is minimum fare for international upgrade which will be 3-4 times more then a U fare.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 6:02 am

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
"Eligible fares include Y,B,M,H,Q, and V for all domestic travel and Y, B, M fares for all international travel." found here.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 7:07 am

Also referenced here http://cwsi.net/delta.htm
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Fares are date-dependent, as well as requiring fare bucket availability, but in June ExpertFlyer shows a UPXSL77 fare at $1,440; cheapest M is MPART at $2,750.
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I had a dream one time that a Delta International U fare was upgradeable. Birds were singing, The sun was shinning, There was peace in the middle east, Toyota's were not accelerating on their own, and RTS, Wburcham, AvidFlyer, Thomas Hudson, MikeMpls, and CalolDisney were on the FT Picnic Planning Committee.... Then I woke up........................
Old Mar 14, 2010, 8:59 am

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
Originally Posted by avidflyer
I had a dream one time that a Delta International U fare was upgradeable. Birds were singing, The sun was shinning, There was peace in the middle east, Toyota's were not accelerating on their own, and RTS, Wburcham, AvidFlyer, Thomas Hudson, MikeMpls, and CalolDisney were on the FT Picnic Planning Committee.... Then I woke up........................
Please accept my apology for posting what I did.

I was pointing out my own theory that humans can be stupid and/or incompetent and I proved it!

Last edited by CarolDisney1; Mar 14, 2010 at 12:24 pm
Old Mar 14, 2010, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

deleted

Last edited by avidflyer; Mar 14, 2010 at 12:45 pm
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL - Plat, Marriott - Plat, Hilton - Diamond, SPG- Plat, National- ES
It was a poke at the way all of us "get along" on this board. A JOKE...and I am in there as well you will notice.

I have stooped to personally attacking myself.
BTW, I happen to really like Delta AND I really liked NWA. Imagine that.
SORRY!

As I said in my edited post... I am proving my own theory. There's no limit to my stupidity or incompetence!

I am the first to admit that Delta has issues. But... I have yet to find an airline that didn't (Must admit that my one and only flight on Singapore Airways probably was closest. Of course it cost $$$$$ for that Business Class Seat)
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
SORRY!

As I said in my edited post... I am proving my own theory. There's no limit to my stupidity or incompetence!

I am the first to admit that Delta has issues. But... I have yet to find an airline that didn't (Must admit that my one and only flight on Singapore Airways probably was closest. Of course it cost $$$$$ for that Business Class Seat)
You don't owe me an apology but no problem! It is clearly possible for all of us to get along...I just hope it comes sooner rather than later. And yes, every Airline/Program has issues.....every one of them (Qatar is pretty unbelievable though).
Old Mar 14, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL AA UA
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

Originally Posted by CarolDisney1
It was a poke at the way all of us "get along" on this board. A JOKE...and I am in there as well you will notice.

I have stooped to personally attacking myself.
BTW, I happen to really like Delta AND I really liked NWA. Imagine that.
SORRY!

You aren't supposed to PAY for SQ, that's what miles are for (or at least were for).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.