Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

The Gate Lice are coming... the GATE LICE are coming

Old Oct 23, 2014, 7:44 pm

Programs: Delta KM/PM/MM, Nexus, CLEAR, Sharriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
. . . I just don't like the numbered signs and ropes where people line up in chutes or holding pens. Nor do I want on board jokes and games, no seat assignments, no FC, with most trips exMSP connecting through MDW, etc. . . . I don't need to fly them to know that I don't want to do so.
What she said; also, I'd like my pilots to wear long pants.

And land on runways that are longer than DTW terminal A.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:44 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by mattp1987
I'll admit to coming in sometimes from the side, but that's because it's often impossible to tell who is actually in line. If the gaggle of gate lice would move to the sides so that the actual line of people boarding at that time can come straight in this wouldn't be a problem. However, at least at many airports, there isn't even room for the 16 F passengers on an MD to make a straight line between the scanner and the gate lice, and that gets even worse in zones with more people. I've probably accidentally stepped in front of someone who was actually boarding in my zone, but I know for sure that I've had the same done to me. The system being proposed here would at least help somewhat to alleviate this problem.

I fully agree, I have just given up on any sense of boarding order. If I am sitting off to the side when my zone is called I enter from the side. If I am sitting elsewhere I enter from that direction.
Old Oct 23, 2014, 8:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Regardless of the direction, if there are people who aren't moving (to try to board) and they're blocking the way for me to board when my zone is called, I usually try "Excuse me please" twice, with the second request being a little louder, then say something like "please move, I need to get through, I'm in FC" (or whatever) once or twice, and then it finally becomes "please get out of the way." [no expletives or references to any body parts]

One time recently someone responded by yelling at me that I was rude, but I consider it rude to block others from boarding with the zone that they have earned or purchased. It's not likely that I'll play Minnesota nice and be stuck boarding with zone 99 because gate lice refuse to move and just stand there when they know that it's not yet their zone.

<end of rank. thank you. that feels better>
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:34 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by rl767
from conversations with a friend who has been WN A-List for a really long time, I'm pretty sure you can board any time after your number has been called
...but If you are late to board on WN, a middle seat between Bertha and John Boy awaits you
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:38 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
It always seemed to me that more people would be willing to check a bag if they could depend on the bag being delivered promptly, undamaged, not lost, and with nothing stolen from it. Having TSA do security has made it worse for delays and items bing lost/stolen/damaged. There's also the inconvenience of needing to sometimes to get to the airport earlier to check a bg or having to wait in a long line to do so. Checking a bag just opens a lot of possibilities for things to go wrong. Furthermore, if one is using public transportation or even a shuttle bus to a rental car, it can be hard to manage more luggage than can fit into the bin anyway.
Originally Posted by gooselee
This. I've tried to do carry-on only since well before bag fees were a thing. And even today I'm far more likely to check a bag on a non-US airline.

Part of it is concern about correct, timely, and unpilfered delivery of the bag. Part of it is a desire to remain flexible for VDBs, last minute schedule changes, IRROPs, etc.

Most of it is that I can't stand dealing with a bunch of stuff while I'm travelling, so I pack very light and find a laundromat on trips longer than a week.
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
Exactly. I think people forget about how this was before the fees. Lots of people didn't want to check their bags for these reasons.
^^^
Old Oct 24, 2014, 12:56 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Regardless of the direction, if there are people who aren't moving (to try to board) and they're blocking the way for me to board when my zone is called, I usually try "Excuse me please" twice, with the second request being a little louder, then say something like "please move, I need to get through, I'm in FC" (or whatever) once or twice, and then it finally becomes "please get out of the way." [no expletives or references to any body parts]
Believe it or not, saying “Hot soup, coming through!” loudly and authoritatively as you move through the crowd really works — even in places where one would never expect to find hot soup.

By the time they figure out what happened, you are long gone...
Old Oct 24, 2014, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by Canarsie
Believe it or not, saying Hot soup, coming through! loudly and authoritatively as you move through the crowd really works even in places where one would never expect to find hot soup.

I *might* just have to give that a try at some point

-J.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:19 pm

Programs: UA Gold ,DL Gold,AA,HHonors Diamond, Priority Club Gold,Hyatt Platinum,Marriott Gold
It always seemed to me that more people would be willing to check a bag if they could depend on the bag being delivered promptly, undamaged, not lost, and with nothing stolen from it. Having TSA do security has made it worse for delays and items bing lost/stolen/damaged. There's also the inconvenience of needing to sometimes to get to the airport earlier to check a bg or having to wait in a long line to do so. Checking a bag just opens a lot of possibilities for things to go wrong. Furthermore, if one is using public transportation or even a shuttle bus to a rental car, it can be hard to manage more luggage than can fit into the bin anyway.
I fall in this category. Unless I either am bringing something that can't go through security or have so much stuff that it won't fit in a carry on bag, I always carry on even if it's free. I do so because at the end of the flight, I walk off the plane and direct to whatever ground transportation I'm using. I don't have to wait for a bag or risk it getting lost/stolen. Further, it's a lot easier in IRROPs as you can just go. The $$$ for the check bag is furthest in my mind.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 2:25 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by ronin308
The $$$ for the check bag is furthest in my mind.
But you and most of us FT'ers are not most people on the plane. Do you ever wonder why there are more zones than Premium, Sky and Zone 1? It's for the kettles . The $$$ is very much on their mind.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta - DM, Ritz PM, Hertz President's Club, National Executive Elite
I've flown over 220 segments on Delta in the past year and a half, I always check my bag (thank you sky priority) and I have not had a single item lost, misplaced or delayed. Therefore I cannot agree with your premise. My experience tells me Delta has checked baggage working very efficient and reliably.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 8:49 pm

Programs: Delta FO

One time recently someone responded by yelling at me that I was rude, but I consider it rude to block others from boarding with the zone that they have earned or purchased. It's not likely that I'll play Minnesota nice and be stuck boarding with zone 99 because gate lice refuse to move and just stand there when they know that it's not yet their zone.

<end of rank. thank you. that feels better>
I like to say, "Excuse me!". When they turn around to look at me, I say "Are you in first class?", while feigning helplessness and humility. There is inevitably a drawn out look of confusion and angst on their face, which is highly rewarding for me. 100% of the time, they will step aside. This only works if I have an upgrade.
Old Oct 24, 2014, 10:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by richardinmotion
I like to say, "Excuse me!". When they turn around to look at me, I say "Are you in first class?", while feigning helplessness and humility. There is inevitably a drawn out look of confusion and angst on their face, which is highly rewarding for me. 100% of the time, they will step aside. This only works if I have an upgrade.
The last time I was this situation and asked someone very directly and explicitly if he was in first class--after I said excuse me when he wasn't moving and then moved ahead myself and he made a big fuss about me trying to get ahead of him--the guy just outright lied to my face and stated that he was in FC when he wasn't.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:32 am

The UA signs and barriers remind me of WN. It looks tacky.
Personally, I don't see the difference between the UA signs, or DL signs, or any other boarding signs. They are just signs. The fact that they let me board the plane when my group is called without saying "excuse me" a single time (not once On any UA flight) tells me it's a superior system. So I don't care what the signs look like. Any flyer seems to be able to understand them and they work great!
Old Oct 25, 2014, 6:47 am

Originally Posted by Canarsie
Believe it or not, saying Hot soup, coming through! loudly and authoritatively as you move through the crowd really works even in places where one would never expect to find hot soup.

Next time I fly DL I may use this! Except maybe I'll try, "hot stuff, coming through", instead. I figure its only fair to be honest.
Old Oct 25, 2014, 7:39 am

Originally Posted by jacobac00
Next time I fly DL I may use this! Except maybe I'll try, "hot stuff, coming through", instead. I figure its only fair to be honest.
I actually did carry a bowl of clam chowder on to a plane once several years ago. I very quickly learned from my mistake when we hit a spot of very rough turbulence. Nothing like having a whole bunch of hot liquid all over my brand new jeans.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.