Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 22, 10, 4:08 pm   #1

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold, DL
Delta RTW award ticket

Wondering if anyone has booked one of these recently. Are they still possible to book? According to the website I can get a business class rtw for 280,000 miles. With the difficulty booking other skymiles awards I'm wondering if these are impossible to book? Any thoughts, suggestions much appreciated. Seems like this would be good bang for buck on mileage award.
dabolix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 10, 4:44 pm   #2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Plat/million, AA 1 mil, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
All partner flights on awards will be available in Low mileage band, or not eligible for an award ticket. Thus the difficulty of award calendar search is largely sidestepped. An RTW award can only be booked by phone, anyway.
3Cforme is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 10, 4:49 pm   #3
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
All the flights on a RTW ticket need to be available in the "low"/historically standard award inventory or there will be no RTW award ticket issued using DL miles.

It's a lot harder to get DL to issue a RTW award ticket now than it used to be two or three years ago when global travel demand was stronger than it is today.
Old Feb 22, 10, 4:50 pm   #4
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K, A3*G, AS MVPG, BA Silver, CX Gold, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold,Carlson Gold,Choice Gold
280k for business RTW????

Check out this thread: Aeroplan - 120,000 RTW in F - Itinerary advice
Old Feb 22, 10, 5:06 pm   #5

are partner flights for awards generally available in the low mileage band? or is it very difficult to get partner flights for awards using delta miels?
Old Feb 22, 10, 5:07 pm   #6

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, UA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Premier, National Exec Elite
Here is all the info you need:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l-j-2-pax.html

Extremely in depth. I don't believe there is any info in that thread that is post SM/WP Integration & SOC, but it is a great place to get going including a direct phone number to the Partner Award CS Desk (the people who book these tickets).
jjglaze77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 10, 5:53 pm   #7
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing
Quote:
Originally Posted by dabolix View Post
are partner flights for awards generally available in the low mileage band? or is it very difficult to get partner flights for awards using delta miels?
DL's partner airlines haven't implemented a three-tier award chart to fleece and frustrate customers, so award space availability on the European partner flights is usually relatively better than availability on DL's own metal in "low" mileage price kind of inventory. "Low" mileage price kind of inventory happens to be the only inventory that DL's partners give DL and other SkyTeam airlines.
Old Feb 22, 10, 6:56 pm   #8

Programs: DL Gold, BA, SQ, SPG, HH, Marriott, Hyatt Gold, Amex MM
Great experience booking and flying RTW on Skyteam. I called DL RTW Elite desk 3 weeks prior to intended departure date, and secured a 6 week RTW trip: 280,000 pts., BusinessClass. Received every destination requested; only changed/opted for NRT on last leg instead of SYD as return to LAX from Oz would've entailed going SYD-ICN-LAX so decided that was too much, opted to visit Japan instead and return NRT-LAX. The DL agent was professional, knowledgeable, and constructed my itinerary in 24hrs. Other than NBO, all layovers were less than 3hrs. Below are legs:

LAX-SLC-ATL-SCL DL
Interesting that the hardest businessclass seat on my entire itinerary to secure was LAX-ATL nonstop; completely unavailable, so had to go via SLC to start out
EZE-CDG-BCN AF
AF 777-300ER in L'espace affaires EZE-CDG was a great leg!
BCN-CDG-ATH AF
CAI-KRT-NBO-BOM KQ
NBO was longest layover: 12hrs. Didn't mind as I had never seen NBO so booked a day room at HH Downtown, relaxed, ate a proper meal, and strolled about.
BOM-ICN-PVG KE
BOM-ICN KE A330 disappointing. Prestige Class seats barely reclined. Tough redeye. Ouch.
PVG-NRT DL
still NW A330 metal
NRT-LAX DL
first flight on DL 747!
No hassles, nor delays; everything was seamless. A super trip!
tomas.t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 10, 8:45 pm   #9

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, UA Silver, HH Gold, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Premier, National Exec Elite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomas.t View Post
Great experience booking and flying RTW on Skyteam. I called DL RTW Elite desk 3 weeks prior to intended departure date, and secured a 6 week RTW trip: 280,000 pts., BusinessClass. Received every destination requested; only changed/opted for NRT on last leg instead of SYD as return to LAX from Oz would've entailed going SYD-ICN-LAX so decided that was too much, opted to visit Japan instead and return NRT-LAX. The DL agent was professional, knowledgeable, and constructed my itinerary in 24hrs. Other than NBO, all layovers were less than 3hrs. Below are legs:

LAX-SLC-ATL-SCL DL
Interesting that the hardest businessclass seat on my entire itinerary to secure was LAX-ATL nonstop; completely unavailable, so had to go via SLC to start out
EZE-CDG-BCN AF
AF 777-300ER in L'espace affaires EZE-CDG was a great leg!
BCN-CDG-ATH AF
CAI-KRT-NBO-BOM KQ
NBO was longest layover: 12hrs. Didn't mind as I had never seen NBO so booked a day room at HH Downtown, relaxed, ate a proper meal, and strolled about.
BOM-ICN-PVG KE
BOM-ICN KE A330 disappointing. Prestige Class seats barely reclined. Tough redeye. Ouch.
PVG-NRT DL
still NW A330 metal
NRT-LAX DL
first flight on DL 747!
No hassles, nor delays; everything was seamless. A super trip!

Great trip! I would agree on the KE A330. I am just so tired of KE's old product. IMHO, it's inexcusable that they still operate such a shoddy J product on so many routes! I know it's expensive to upgrade the fleet, but the customer ill-will should be taken into consideration. You know it's taking too long when you haven't implemented your new product on your entire fleet and you begin introducing a new, new product!

May I ask why you didn't book until 3 weeks before? Every one of these trips I've done has taken 6-9 months of planning
jjglaze77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 22, 10, 11:01 pm   #10

Programs: IHG Plat, HH Gold, DL Diamond, UA, AA
KUL-ICN on KE in J is bad, too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjglaze77 View Post
I would agree on the KE A330. I am just so tired of KE's old product. IMHO, it's inexcusable that they still operate such a shoddy J product on so many routes!
Thanks to the OP as well!

Last month, I suffered thru a midnight departure on a KE A330 from KUL to ICN. Almost no recline and no sleep on this awful J cabin experience.
Bowgie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23, 10, 9:31 am   #11

May I ask why you didn't book until 3 weeks before? Every one of these trips I've done has taken 6-9 months of planning [/quote]

I did not book until 3 weeks prior because I was unexpectedly let go from my investment banking firm. Needless to say that was quite a shock, so I didn't have any clue if this RTW itinerary would work with reward availability + such, but I was (and still am) surprised at how seemless, easy and no hassle the entire Skyteam RTW experience was.
Old Feb 24, 10, 12:36 pm   #12

tomas thanks so much for the info! this was a recent trip?
Old Feb 24, 10, 2:38 pm   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabolix View Post
tomas thanks so much for the info! this was a recent trip?
Yes, recent trip. Just did it Aug/Sept 2009.
Old Feb 26, 10, 9:08 am   #14

1-888-496-6390 No Longer Valid for RTW

The link noted previously was extremely helpful to me when I booked my 2 RTW business class seats. The phone # was such a time saver in getting me to the right people directly (unpublished #).
Unfortunately, the phone # became obsolete on or about Feb 1 due to a reorganization of the RTW desk.
It is my understanding the the Award RTW desk and the Purchase RTW desk were combined.
Does anyone have a direct phone # for this new desk?
Roamin'Around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26, 10, 9:14 am   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roamin'Around View Post
The link noted previously was extremely helpful to me when I booked my 2 RTW business class seats. The phone # was such a time saver in getting me to the right people directly (unpublished #).
Unfortunately, the phone # became obsolete on or about Feb 1 due to a reorganization of the RTW desk.
It is my understanding the the Award RTW desk and the Purchase RTW desk were combined.
Does anyone have a direct phone # for this new desk?
When I booked my RTW award trip, I called SMS and asked to be connected to the RTW desk. After being connected the agent would always ask: is this for RTW award trip or RTW for purchase trip? I never got the direct number, just did the sequence above; it was fairly quick process.