Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Real Delta Airlines' credit card "fraud"....Not a fake Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:02 am
Original Poster

Programs: NWA Plat

Before nwa.com was gone last weekend, I booked an award ticket on NWA.com. Total tax was USD13.23 which equals 90RMB Chinese departure tax. The confirmation email also showed the exact same amount.

Ticket was issued today and I was surprised that total tax became 17.35USD. The difference is YQ on Korean Air!

Apparently, I agreed to pay 13.23USD and now they charged me 17.35USD.

Anyone votes this as a credit card fraud?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:06 am

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Really, all this for $4.12. Maybe you can sue.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Currency rates are fluid. Either NW or your credit card had a rate change.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BusTrav8yrs
Really, all this for $4.12. Maybe you can sue.
I know it's not a lot and I can easily get back from my credit card company. But what they are doing is definitely against law.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by 300D
I know it's not a lot and I can easily get back from my credit card company. But what they are doing is definitely against law.
What currency was charged to your credit card?
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:13 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Fare break down: YQ28 CN90 (Since departing from China, fare breakdown shows Chinese RMB). Flight departs from China, all metal on KE. Therefore, YQ=KE fuel surchage and CN90=china departure tax.

Last edited by 300D; Feb 1, 2010 at 9:24 am
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:18 am

I fully agree.

Last week they refunded me $54 for 4 award tickets due to "The refund amount reflects all applicable service/cancellation fees associated with your ticket(s)." It definitely sounds bogus. My itinerary included a sector on CZ.

PM me if you find a lawyer or a way to fight this. I think you will get an automated email like me.

Last edited by bmchris; Feb 1, 2010 at 9:30 am
Old Feb 1, 2010, 9:37 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Don't forget the 1-3% foreign transaction fee, depending on the issuer. That could also be added into the total.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:07 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TTT
Don't forget the 1-3% foreign transaction fee, depending on the issuer. That could also be added into the total.
The price I'm talking about is listed on ticket itself. To make it simple, the original total tax was 90CNY and now is showing 118CNY.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, AS MVP75K, AA PlatPro, UA Premier, Disney AP
Also, when I've seen award ticket fees before (taxes, etc.), there has always been the disclaimer that it's an approximation until the itinerary is ticketed. Hitting the OK button on the browser switches it to confirmed status, but it isn't ticketed until there's a 006 number (not a PNR, which is for confirming) attached. This can take anywhere from a minute to a couple of hours after you hit the OK button.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:14 am

In my case, the refund came a few days AFTER the 012 ticket was issued. So I don't think just ticketing locks in the amount.

My theory is that when partner carriers are used, the fees and taxes are estimations - and to be fair, and avoid any future lawsuits, they are needing to check the exact amounts after ticketing - and then adjust accordingly.
Old Feb 1, 2010, 11:46 am

Programs: DL Employee
I personally would call Customer Service and inquire into this, if you have not already done so

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.