Wiki Posts
Search

The Banana Bandit

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat
The Banana Bandit

I was flying on an Emb 175 - 2 FAs - sitting in 4A - the last row of FC.
1 FA was making the drinks after takeoff, the other was doing snack try duty.

At the beginning of the service, I noticed the FA take a banana from the tray and put it in her sweater pocket with half of it sticking out. When the tray got to me, there were no more bananas left so I asked if there were any more up front. She told me no they were all out, the banana she had took was right in front of me, I glance down at it and back to her and said all I really want is a banana. She said sorry, we're all out. She then walks back up front, sticks her hand in the pocket and jams the banana down so it can no longer be seen.

After they had completed drink service in coach, the first FA who was handling FC comes back down the aisle. I told her what happened and she was very apologetic and said that customers should always have first shot at what's in the basket and that I should write DL and they would do something about it. I told her I didn't want to make a big deal out of it - I just thought it was bad form and that she should know about it. She reiterated that I should write DL.
This is when I started to think that there might have been other issues with the second FA as the first one was pushing me to write a letter.
Is this really worth a letter?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: AA GM, DL DM, DSC
I vote for the email, customer's come first and IIRC FA and the flight deck crews are not supposed to eat from the snack trays.

Next thing you know all of the Glenlivet will be disappearing as well
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: AA - PP
I'd say if you do send in a letter, make it clear it's just informational so that they might bring it up in a training memo or the like. I'm sure it's not a totally uncommon practice for FAs to snag a goodie, (I've seen it once or twice myself) but to effectively be caught and still "lie" about it is pushing things a bit.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:53 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
The Banana Bandit was stealing. The second FA recognized this and probably was aware of other offenses committed by the first FA. She didn't want to be the one to blow the whistle. If the first FA took a banana, she probably has taken/will take other things that don't belong to her. Write the letter.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 10:57 am

Originally Posted by bwhite
I vote for the email, customer's come first and IIRC FA and the flight deck crews are not supposed to eat from the snack trays.
Customers are supposed to go first, however, I believe Union crews are supposed to get F/J class food. I'm not sure if the barbie jet crew qualifies.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:03 am

Programs: HH-Gold, MR-Platinum, SPG-Gold, AA-Platinum, UA-Silver, Alaska-Gold, National-EE
I don't know... I sort of disagree. She wanted a banana... that's not a crime! Seriously, everyone is human.

Now, what is she supposed to do after you ask if there are any extra bananas? Pull the one out of her sweater, and say... "umm... there is this banana, but I was hoping to save it for myself, would you like it?" Would you have taken the banana? I'm sure either way it would have been hella awkward, even if you said no thanks.

Now if she had taken a bag of Sun Chips... well... let's not even go there
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Maybe she needed the potassium, vitamin B6 and fiber more than the OP did.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:26 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by Tomphot
I was flying on an Emb 175 - 2 FAs - sitting in 4A - the last row of FC.
1 FA was making the drinks after takeoff, the other was doing snack try duty.

At the beginning of the service, I noticed the FA take a banana from the tray and put it in her sweater pocket with half of it sticking out. When the tray got to me, there were no more bananas left so I asked if there were any more up front. She told me no they were all out, the banana she had took was right in front of me, I glance down at it and back to her and said all I really want is a banana. She said sorry, we're all out. She then walks back up front, sticks her hand in the pocket and jams the banana down so it can no longer be seen.

After they had completed drink service in coach, the first FA who was handling FC comes back down the aisle. I told her what happened and she was very apologetic and said that customers should always have first shot at what's in the basket and that I should write DL and they would do something about it. I told her I didn't want to make a big deal out of it - I just thought it was bad form and that she should know about it. She reiterated that I should write DL.
This is when I started to think that there might have been other issues with the second FA as the first one was pushing me to write a letter.
Is this really worth a letter?
Write the letter. You'll probably get 5k RDMs, and the note will go in the employees file.

It's not about the banana, it's about the lie and the subterfuge. If this, that what else?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
[QUOTE=sbagdon;13226417]Write the letter. You'll probably get 5k RDMs, and the note will go in the employees file.
QUOTE]

Suggested change to thread title: How Many SkyMiles is a Bummed Banana Worth?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:49 am

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
It must just be me, but this is getting comical....

There's a post today about a guy who complained about a FA who took up the forward bins on a CRJ with her personal stuff. Oh, and she wasn't personable. He got 7,500 miles.

Now DL is going to be notified about an FA who lies about a banana....

I know this is Flyertalk, but come on.

Last edited by DLdweeb; Jan 21, 2010 at 12:02 pm
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:54 am

Programs: AA ExpMM, DL 2MM, IHG Spire/RA
Originally Posted by DLdweeb

There's a post today about a guy who complained about a FA who took up the forward bins on a CRJ with here personal stuff. Oh and she wasn't personable. He got 7,500 miles.

I have only one thing to say:

Banana hammock.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Location: ATL - DL DM/3MM - HH Lifetime Diamond - Marriott Lifetime Plat

Not having a banana on a 1 hour flight was far from the worst thing that has happened to me this week.
When I mentioned the incident to the first FA, it was only to let them know that I thought it was in very bad form.
It wasn't until she suggested that I write 2 times that I gave any thought on doing so.
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: HH-Gold, MR-Platinum, SPG-Gold, AA-Platinum, UA-Silver, Alaska-Gold, National-EE

There's a post today about a guy who complained about a FA who took up the forward bins on a CRJ with here personal stuff. Oh and she wasn't personable. He got 7,500 miles.

Thank you! I thought I was the only one!!
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA - PP

It's about perception. Maybe if Delta starts to see that people are getting fed up with all the little things going on, they'll start to try and work towards real customer service again. I know I'm just dreaming, but the point remains.

Besides, where do you draw the line? Is lying about an upgrade seat worse? Or lying that the bins are all full and requiring several people to gate check bags? What level lie should be OK, and what level shouldn't?
Old Jan 21, 2010, 12:29 pm

There's a post today about a guy who complained about a FA who took up the forward bins on a CRJ with her personal stuff. Oh, and she wasn't personable. He got 7,500 miles.

It really isn't about the banana but about the quality and standard of service provided. When pushed, the FA could have said, "Let me go check in the galley for you."

Then gone back there, taken banana out of her pocket, and then returned and given it to the pax, or asked the other FA to give it to the pax.

Again it about the quality of service and if the other FA suggested reporting it, than even they recognize that the behavior was inappropriate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.