Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What does the "V" class fare mean for an international flight?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Skymiles Diamond Medallion

I booked a EWR-AMS flight for later today on Delta.com. It's a Northwest flight operated by Delta. When I went to check in yesterday on Delta.com, it would not let me check in and said I should check in at the gate. It said "NSA", no seat assignment.

On the booking class, it said U for my first leg (AMS-JFK), and V for the EWR-AMS leg.

The Delta fare chart at http://www.cwsi.net/delta.htm shows V class as First/Business Elite via segment on domestic, and NA for international.

How can I have booked a V booking class fare on an international flight and what does it mean?

Thanks.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:37 am
Used to be 'sido21'

Programs: SkyTeam Elite Plus & Stargold
it has to do with classmapping
V class equals U = Discounted economy fare ( often promo fare )

Did u book any codeshare? KL / AF ?
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by Sido21
it has to do with classmapping
V class equals U = Discounted economy fare ( often promo fare )

Did u book any codeshare? KL / AF ?
Exactly.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:42 am
VIB

Originally Posted by milst1
I booked a EWR-AMS flight for later today on Delta.com. It's a Northwest flight operated by Delta. When I went to check in yesterday on Delta.com, it would not let me check in and said I should check in at the gate. It said "NSA", no seat assignment.

On the booking class, it said U for my first leg (AMS-JFK), and V for the EWR-AMS leg.

The Delta fare chart at http://www.cwsi.net/delta.htm shows V class as First/Business Elite via segment on domestic, and NA for international.

How can I have booked a V booking class fare on an international flight and what does it mean?

Thanks.
Since it's a Northwest flight number (even though the aircraft is operated by Delta), you need to look at the Northwest fare chart. This shows that V is a discounted economy fare class. I think it's at the bottom of the discounted fare levels, equivalent to a Delta U or maybe even T class.
Old Jan 17, 2010, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
If the flight number is "NW nnn" on your ticket, then NW fare codes apply, not DL. For DL flights, "U" is a discounted coach class code, and for NW flights, "V" is a discounted coach class code. Even more confusingly, it does not matter who actually operates the flight, what matters is who's flight number is on your ticket. If you really have a ticket on "NW nnn", then you should be able to view your flight on nwa.com and probably select your seat there as well, unless the flight is oversold and no seats are available.

This is one more piece of trivia that will not matter after inventory cutover (which is speculated on this site to be planned for 1/31 or 2/1 depending on who's postings on this site are right) after which every Delta flight will be located in one computer system and there won't be any more NW flights to confuse us all.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.