Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by vtoomu
Thank you for the detailed reply. I think I'm starting to understand now. I see expertflyer showing me inventory for Z for flights that are costing me $3400 in Y fare round trip compared to $2300 in economy. Its not the $5000+ fare but definitely much higher than the economy I was looking at.

I wonder if they let DM upgrades for international travel ?
They'll only upgrade you in an 'op-up' situation where they have empty seats in business and economy is oversold. It happens from time to time, but is complete chance. As a DM, you would have a decent chance at being the one moved up IF they end up in that situation.
Old Nov 14, 2012, 6:07 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I understand your point, but how much travel from U.S.48 locations needs three segments to get to MSP, realistically? And then how much of that would be better served by two stops from another TPAC gateway like SEA or LAX?
I don't really know but it can be hard to find low inventory on domestic segments without some creative routing.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott PM
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
I don't really know but it can be hard to find low inventory on domestic segments without some creative routing.
Is there a similar thread on how to search for low tier domestic awards in coach? I'm trying to find two low tier awards next june/july/august from the NY Metro area(nyc, hpn, swf, bdl) to Anchorage and I can't seem to find any low options!

When you say creative routing, are you suggesting one might need a need 3-stops vs. 1-stop?

Is it worth calling to see an agent could find anything? from what I've read, most people do not find this to be successful.

Any tips with regards to searching would be greatly appreciated!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:26 pm

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Schmoops
Is there a similar thread on how to search for low tier domestic awards in coach? I'm trying to find two low tier awards next june/july/august from the NY Metro area(nyc, hpn, swf, bdl) to Anchorage and I can't seem to find any low options!

When you say creative routing, are you suggesting one might need a need 3-stops vs. 1-stop?

Is it worth calling to see an agent could find anything? from what I've read, most people do not find this to be successful.

Any tips with regards to searching would be greatly appreciated!
Domestic awards only allow two connections each direction, as best as I can tell. I'm not sure if there's an exception for Alaska on that. Any space EWR-SEA-ANC on AS? You can search using the alaskaair.com award calendar and look for supersaver space. That should be bookable on DL.dumb via search by schedule.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by mtkeller
Domestic awards only allow two connections each direction, as best as I can tell. I'm not sure if there's an exception for Alaska on that. Any space EWR-SEA-ANC on AS? You can search using the alaskaair.com award calendar and look for supersaver space. That should be bookable on DL.dumb via search by schedule.
Great advice - thank you! I searched and found AS mostly has mid-tier availability, except at the end of August/September, which we might be able to do. However, when I tried to put the puzzle together on delta.com multi-city search it tells me there are no flights scheduled between SEA-ANC on the date selected, but I'm able to select it on the AS website.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:44 pm

Great advice - thank you! I searched and found AS mostly has mid-tier availability, except at the end of August/September, which we might be able to do. However, when I tried to put the puzzle together on delta.com multi-city search it tells me there are no flights scheduled between SEA-ANC on the date selected, but I'm able to select it on the AS website.
Are you doing multi-city and search by schedule on DL.dumb? Search by price is notorious for not showing space that exists.
Old Nov 17, 2012, 3:49 pm

Are you doing multi-city and search by schedule on DL.dumb? Search by price is notorious for not showing space that exists.
Since I didn't alter any of the existing selections - I'm guessing I have been searching by price. THANK YOU for pointing that out! And now I'll head back to delta.com...

Thanks!
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:20 pm

It seems no matter how I search (award vs $$, price vs schedule) the Alaksa flight from SEA to ANC does not appear. Are there certain flights on AS that DL does not have award access to?
Old Nov 17, 2012, 4:51 pm

It seems no matter how I search (award vs $$, price vs schedule) the Alaksa flight from SEA to ANC does not appear. Are there certain flights on AS that DL does not have award access to?
There shouldn't be. Might be worth a call to see if an agent can book it.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 6:52 am

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
Need help trying to get 2 low level J award tickets ATL-SIN for a PM and a DM next Aug/Sep. can find many low level awards for one person, but nothing at the low level for 2 on the same flights. Called DL and they had no options. We have one low level ticket on hold ATL-NRT-SIN; is it wrorth buying that one and hoping a second seat opens up in the next couple of months? Or just travel on different flights and be done with it?
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:30 am

Originally Posted by ats262
Need help trying to get 2 low level J award tickets ATL-SIN for a PM and a DM next Aug/Sep. can find many low level awards for one person, but nothing at the low level for 2 on the same flights. Called DL and they had no options. We have one low level ticket on hold ATL-NRT-SIN; is it wrorth buying that one and hoping a second seat opens up in the next couple of months? Or just travel on different flights and be done with it?
I'd look at CZ via CAN. As PM/DM, you can book less than ideal domestic flights to LAX and then adjust them for free as inventory opens. Looks like CAN-SIN tends to have 2-4 business award seats available, and LAX-CAN is 9 seats almost every day.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by ats262
Grab seats wherever you can NOW. As a PM or DM miles can be redeposited for free so you then keep searching for one seat on either flight. When available, grab it and release the other seat getting your miles redeposited. That way odds are good that you will fly together but if not at least you eacg have seats. Check the one way arrangements because even if you do not get a round trip together you might fly together one way.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; Hilton Diamond; National Exec
Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Grab seats wherever you can NOW. As a PM or DM miles can be redeposited for free so you then keep searching for one seat on either flight. When available, grab it and release the other seat getting your miles redeposited. That way odds are good that you will fly together but if not at least you eacg have seats. Check the one way arrangements because even if you do not get a round trip together you might fly together one way.
Makes sense. Grabbed the seats on 2 different sets of flights, leaving and arriving within a few hours of each other. Now lets be patient and wait for other seats to open up. Thanks.
Old Nov 22, 2012, 8:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by KyRoamer
Great advice, and utilize the hold function.
Old Nov 27, 2012, 5:49 pm

Question about booking awards. I am looking for 2 or 3 seats PBI-MNL in June and return in August. If I book my tickets now with miles+fee, what happens if I need to cancel or change dates later? Do the miles get redeposited? Do the fees get reimbursed?

I'll need to do a transfer from Amex - so I understand that's one way only cannot be returned to Amex from my Delta account.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.