Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2012, 10:50 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by mtkeller
That's 'cause there's no award inventory on that date, according to ExpertFlyer. Even a good award booking engine won't find inventory that doesn't exist.
I tried CDG to FCO, MXP, VCE, TRN, VRN, BGY for 5/26/13.

All of them returned no results. So they're not available yet or does dl.com ever show them?

I tried the CDG-FCO pair for 8/5/12, 10/21/12 as well as a couple of other dates next spring and summer. Nothing.
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta.com can show AF-operated award flights. Search by schedule. Don't bother looking on delta.com for anything Alitalia-operated.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jul 28, 2012 at 4:44 am
Old Jul 25, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by wco81
I tried CDG to FCO, MXP, VCE, TRN, VRN, BGY for 5/26/13.

All of them returned no results. So they're not available yet or does dl.com ever show them?

I tried the CDG-FCO pair for 8/5/12, 10/21/12 as well as a couple of other dates next spring and summer. Nothing.
There is no AF inventory for CDG-FCO on 5 AUG 12. I had no problem doing an advanced search (by schedule, not price) for CDG-FCO on 21 OCT 12 and finding multiple flights with inventory. As far as 26 MAY 13 goes, I'm not seeing inventory in ExpertFlyer, at least for AF. AZ has CDG-FCO inventory available for that date, but you'll have to call to get it.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Delta.com can show AF-operated award flights. Search by schedule. Don't bother looking for anything Alitalia-operated.

I have had DL find AF ATH CDG JFK Feb 6 2013

But DL could only book ATH CDG in X class on an award. told to call back before flight to see if Biz opens. All other legs show O biz award even though ticket shows biz all around.

Anyway to force AF or DL to confirm this leg. Was 100K JFK ATH Direct with the AF return.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
I have had DL find AF ATH CDG JFK Feb 6 2013

But DL could only book ATH CDG in X class on an award. told to call back before flight to see if Biz opens. All other legs show O biz award even though ticket shows biz all around.

Anyway to force AF or DL to confirm this leg. Was 100K JFK ATH Direct with the AF return.
I have no explanation as to why DL couldn't confirm Business availability ATH-CDG-JFK on 2/6/13. I can find it online, and click through to the 'review itinerary' page where it shows mileage/taxes/fees.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Jul 28, 2012 at 4:51 am
Old Jul 27, 2012, 6:23 am

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I have no explanation as to why DL couldn't confirm Business availability ATH-CDG-JFK on 2/6/13. I can find it online, and click through to the 'review itinerary' page where it shows mileage/taxes/fees.

Actually I am leaving on the 315 PM Connecting with the overnight. It showed available but when I clicked through to book it said to call in .

Did and was given some MUMBO jumbo re the ATH CDG flight. Is this what's called a voluntary downgrade and any way to force the issue , or complain to
DL if I don't get Biz seat ?
Old Jul 27, 2012, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC

Did and was given some MUMBO jumbo re the ATH CDG flight. Is this what's called a voluntary downgrade and any way to force the issue , or complain to
DL if I don't get Biz seat ?
That is a voluntary downgrade.

Check online again. IIRC, the later ATH-CDG departure with CDG-JFK the next day also showed as available in low band. My posted image didn't show all offered routings.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 7:28 pm

Ack. I am at the end of my sanity with DL agents. Trying to ticket OMA-SLC-LAX-ICN-AKL//HKG-PVG(stop)-NRT-ATL-OMA. The lowest I've gotten it (and wow, have I had a mess of quotes) is 230K. KE publishes an OMA-AKL fare routed via ICN (albeit not by LAX, but I've seen reports of people getting routings via ICN authorized despite not using the exact cities). Last agent gave me the MPM story, at which point I told her I had things I needed to do and would call back. Anyone have a suggestion on how to deal with this? It seems if you're starting from a KE gateway this is a lot easier. I'm thinking of just buying OMA-ATL for cash and flying ATL-LAX-ICN-AKL//HKG-PVG-NRT-ATL, as those are 100% valid routings. However, I'd prefer to get the OMA segments included.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Ack. I am at the end of my sanity with DL agents. Trying to ticket OMA-SLC-LAX-ICN-AKL//HKG-PVG(stop)-NRT-ATL-OMA. The lowest I've gotten it (and wow, have I had a mess of quotes) is 230K. KE publishes an OMA-AKL fare routed via ICN (albeit not by LAX, but I've seen reports of people getting routings via ICN authorized despite not using the exact cities). Last agent gave me the MPM story, at which point I told her I had things I needed to do and would call back. Anyone have a suggestion on how to deal with this? It seems if you're starting from a KE gateway this is a lot easier. I'm thinking of just buying OMA-ATL for cash and flying ATL-LAX-ICN-AKL//HKG-PVG-NRT-ATL, as those are 100% valid routings. However, I'd prefer to get the OMA segments included.
who knows, maybe exceeding the MPM, albeit on a published KE route, only works from a gateway city (maybe KE has to be the first leg)? 230k sounds like a low business to AKL (perhaps from LAX?) added with a medium domestic first (maybe oma-slc-lax?). Maybe the agents who priced it out just didn't know any better, and just read the required mileage rather than seeing that it was pricing as two awards? But that also would cause a double open jaw with a stopover, so still confusing.

Are you positive that ATL-LAX-ICN-AKL works, since the first leg would be on DL metal? ATL is a KE gateway and they do a KE operated ATL-ICN-AKL. That would help clarify if the first flight needs to be on KE, or if it just needs to be from a KE gateway.

Edit:
Found this post with someone who ran into a similar problem, and all he was trying to do was add on LAX-SAN after the KE flight. Perhaps it does indeed need to either start or end at the KE gateway.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...l#post18107316

Edit2: lol, looks like you had responded to that post a few posts down

Last edited by roknroll; Jul 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm
Old Jul 27, 2012, 10:29 pm

I've seen people report BNA-SLC-LAX-ICN-SYD/MEL/AKL (I'm having a hard time finding the reference), and the SLC connection is not one of the published KE routes. LAX is listed as a valid connection point, but only if using AA to get from BNA to LAX. ATL-LAX-ICN-AKL should work out since the KE ATL-AKL rule contains "ATL-DL-LAX-TYO/HNL-SPK/OSA/NGO/FUK-SEL-AKL".

In terms of pricing, I found an agent who could actually read the fare breakdown before issuing the ticket. We started at something like 435K. Then we got it down to 390K, but she kept seeing medium Y for OMA-SLC since low Y was part of enhanced elite inventory. (390K = 40K medium domestic Y + 120K SLC-ICN in J + 110K ICN-AKL in J + 120K HKG-OMA in J/F) I didn't realize that until I had to leave for a lunch gathering, so I got the next agent to fix that. It then dropped to 230K, which is US-Asia in low J plus Asia-SW Pacific in low J.
Old Jul 27, 2012, 11:08 pm

From the "It just gets curiouser and curiouser" department, I have this update. I noticed that the hold until date on my reservation had moved from something like 1 August (tickets originating in Asia get seven-day hold, and I'd initially just held NRT-ATL) to 29 July to 27 July, but it was saying 27 July 2013 tonight. I thought I'd click through to see what DL.dumb came up with for the mileage requirement, and what do I see? 135K + $712.90. I cringe at the erroneous tax/fee calculation, but I figured I should ticket it and get them to fix the taxes/fees later. Ticket now issued successfully and will call later to have them fix the fuel surcharge, as I can't even figure out how they're coming up with it. If anyone can figure them out, I'd appreciate it:

Routing is OMA-DL-SLC-DL-LAX-KE-ICN-KE-AKL//HKG-MU-PVG-DL-NRT-DL-ATL-DL-OMA. The YR of $250 is definitely KE's surcharge. However, I cannot figure out how on earth they came up with YQ of $321.80. The rest appear to be legitimate taxes/airport fees, although the fare of NZ$6.00 is odd. I think $1.80 of the YQ is KE, as ITA reports that LAX-ICN-AKL on KE has YR of $250 and YQ of $1.80.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 1:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Could the YQ be from MU?

Obviously quite high, unless they are collecting KE YQ and YR? DL is certainly crazy.

From the "It just gets curiouser and curiouser" department, I have this update. I noticed that the hold until date on my reservation had moved from something like 1 August (tickets originating in Asia get seven-day hold, and I'd initially just held NRT-ATL) to 29 July to 27 July, but it was saying 27 July 2013 tonight. I thought I'd click through to see what DL.dumb came up with for the mileage requirement, and what do I see? 135K + $712.90. I cringe at the erroneous tax/fee calculation, but I figured I should ticket it and get them to fix the taxes/fees later. Ticket now issued successfully and will call later to have them fix the fuel surcharge, as I can't even figure out how they're coming up with it. If anyone can figure them out, I'd appreciate it:

Routing is OMA-DL-SLC-DL-LAX-KE-ICN-KE-AKL//HKG-MU-PVG-DL-NRT-DL-ATL-DL-OMA. The YR of $250 is definitely KE's surcharge. However, I cannot figure out how on earth they came up with YQ of $321.80. The rest appear to be legitimate taxes/airport fees, although the fare of NZ$6.00 is odd. I think $1.80 of the YQ is KE, as ITA reports that LAX-ICN-AKL on KE has YR of $250 and YQ of $1.80.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:57 am

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Could the YQ be from MU?

Obviously quite high, unless they are collecting KE YQ and YR? DL is certainly crazy.
There should be some YQ for MU, but certainly not $320 worth. The MU YQ for HKG-PVG is about $31. DL's YQ/YR for HKG-OMA is coming up as $135. If we restrict to just PVG-OMA, since that's the part DL's flying, it comes up at $141.

I suspect KE YQ and YR are both being collected, but that's still only $251.80…unless they're collecting the YR as both YQ and YR.
Old Jul 28, 2012, 2:47 pm

Apart from the $712.90 taxes and fees, how did you get them to price OMA-AKL/HKG-OMA at 135 K (I assume in business)?
Old Jul 28, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
Originally Posted by michael_v
Apart from the $712.90 taxes and fees, how did you get them to price OMA-AKL/HKG-OMA at 135 K (I assume in business)?
Add together one way low to S. Pacific and one way low from asia to N. America. The open jaw breaks apart the NZ and HKG. 75k+60k=135k. I also made the same mistake when I first looked at it, assuming it should be 150k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.