Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2011, 4:27 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by wco81
Well I called in for SFO-HKG or SFO-EZE for Thanksgiving week (Nov 19 to Nov 25 or 26).

Said KE was blacked out or sold out that week.

Said only "mid-tier" to EZE for 265k.

What an utterly worthless program.
KE is not blacked out that week. The remaining KE blackout dates for 2011 are:

16JUL 11 THROUGH 28AUG 11 OR 10SEP 11 THROUGH 14SEP 11 OR 01OCT 11 THROUGH 03OCT 11 OR 09DEC 11 THROUGH 31DEC 11

They may be out of availability, but if the agent said blacked out, I would bet too lazy to try and you should call back.
Old Aug 20, 2011, 4:35 am

Originally Posted by ademarco
120k miles + $118.80 tax, not too shabby compared to trying to book out of IST on an award where tax came out to $500+

TP $1.40; CJ $10.30; RN $9.30; VV $2.90; AY $7.50; XA $5; XY $7; YC $5.50; FR $29.20; QX $20.30; AE $20.40

Not sure of the codes, but it has this breakdown on the last page of my confirmation. Any education would be appreciated.
Here's what ITA Matrix shows as the definitions of those fees on that trip. Looks like FR came up a bit higher than Matrix reports, but you definitely didn't pay the fuel surcharge.

US September 11th Security Fee (AY) $7.50
USDA APHIS Fee (XA) $5.00
US Immigration Fee (XY) $7.00
US Customs Fee (YC) $5.50
The Netherlands Passenger Service Charge (RN) $9.30
The Netherlands Noise Isolation Charge (VV) $2.90
The Netherlands Security Service Charge (CJ) $10.30
United Arab Emirates Passenger Service Charge (AE) $20.40
United Arab Emirates Security and Safety Fee (TP) $1.40
French Aviation Civile Tax (FR) $10.80
French International Passenger Service Charge (QX) $20.30
French Airport Tax (FR) $18.40

As to the ex-IST redemption, DL places Turkey in Europe, and thus YQ is collected on award redemptions originating there.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 11:17 am

Rome in September/October

Originally Posted by Denolloyd
I posted this quick guide to Business Award searches in another thread, but after a number of folks mentioned how great it worked for them, I decided to create a separate thread. Also, if anyone else has tips which may be beneficial, please post them as well.

I will be the first to say DL's award engine is horrendous at best, however there are ways around it.

Now for the guide (please note, although this guide was created to assist with travel from the US past AMS/CDG, it is also beneficial for all award bookings):

For awards beyond AMS / CDG in Business, the best way to search is the following:

Search for USA - AMS / CDG ONE WAY in Coach by Mileage.

In the flights displayed, look for those priced at 100,000, with seating in First / Business.

If you cannot find any 100,000 mile flights with First / Business seating, do another search but search for Business this time.

Do this over and over until you find a 100,000 mile one way routing. Generally, it will be Business / First seats within your coach search. I think the problem most have is we tend to search for Business seats by selecting the business drop down. This is a big no no. Always select a coach search first, and seek business within, its often cheaper.

Next, perform another one way search in Businesss for the AMS/CDG - EU. I generally find plenty of EU Business inventory available.

Then, perform the same in reverse for your travel back to the US.

Once you find one way itineraries at the low mileage level, you perform a multi-segment award search. Be sure to select the flights you found earlier in the process at the low tiers.

Sometimes you may have to break down the segments even further such as TPA-ATL, ATL-CDG, CDG-OTP, in order to find the lowest available tiers.

One thing I have noticed is that so long as the DL Award Calendar shows Business available at the low tier, it is, only you have to search to find it.

This is how I book my award travel in Business to OTP. Takes a bit of work, but it can be done.

I am in the middle of packing for my trip tomorrow and will add more details later. Good luck.

Brad...
Very frustrating website for skypesos. While I appreciate the help, the only flights I find to Rome in Sept or Oct are either high or medium miles for any class...suggestions?
Old Aug 21, 2011, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Originally Posted by mtkeller
KE is not blacked out that week. The remaining KE blackout dates for 2011 are:

16JUL 11 THROUGH 28AUG 11 OR 10SEP 11 THROUGH 14SEP 11 OR 01OCT 11 THROUGH 03OCT 11 OR 09DEC 11 THROUGH 31DEC 11

They may be out of availability, but if the agent said blacked out, I would bet too lazy to try and you should call back.

What is the likelihood of low-priced awards opening up closer to departure date?

I can either book the cheapest coach ticket now or get a refundable one for $200 more.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 3:47 pm

Originally Posted by sneuhardt
Very frustrating website for skypesos. While I appreciate the help, the only flights I find to Rome in Sept or Oct are either high or medium miles for any class...suggestions?
Try the FlyingBlue engine on airfrance.us. (Set up a free account, no miles required to search. Look for classic inventory in economy or business. You can't book premium economy or first with SkyMiles.) Listing a departure city would probably help, but standard advice is if you can get yourself to IAD or JFK, you've got a good shot of getting on an AF flight. You can check AZ out of JFK and MIA on af.us, too. Their A330s have new flat bed seats that are proving pretty popular. The segment-by-segment thing applies on af.us, too, as sometimes intra-Europe flights will only have coach available. For a sub-two hour flight, take the Y seat, given the lackluster status of intra-European biz.
Old Aug 21, 2011, 6:45 pm

Rome

Try the FlyingBlue engine on airfrance.us. (Set up a free account, no miles required to search. Look for classic inventory in economy or business. You can't book premium economy or first with SkyMiles.) Listing a departure city would probably help, but standard advice is if you can get yourself to IAD or JFK, you've got a good shot of getting on an AF flight. You can check AZ out of JFK and MIA on af.us, too. Their A330s have new flat bed seats that are proving pretty popular. The segment-by-segment thing applies on af.us, too, as sometimes intra-Europe flights will only have coach available. For a sub-two hour flight, take the Y seat, given the lackluster status of intra-European biz.
Thank you for responding! I am working with the AF website. Searching in business. Cant find any flights out of BIL for any day in September (although MSP and SLC work for example to FCO in biz for 50k). I emailed AF about this but not sure what they will say.

Last edited by sneuhardt; Aug 21, 2011 at 7:27 pm Reason: needed to be corrected
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by sneuhardt
Thank you for responding! I am working with the AF website. Searching in business. Cant find any flights out of BIL for any day in September (although MSP and SLC work for example to FCO in biz for 50k). I emailed AF about this but not sure what they will say.
The FlyingBlue award search engine is very good at searching from U.S. gateway cities, but not so good at finding Delta domestic segments to those gateways (even when they are available). Try searching for the BIL-xxx segments as one-ways on delta.com after finding a suitable trans-Atlantic routing with FlyingBlue. (Don't overlook Alitalia gateways as possibilities.)
Old Aug 22, 2011, 1:36 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
The FlyingBlue award search engine is very good at searching from U.S. gateway cities, but not so good at finding Delta domestic segments to those gateways (even when they are available). Try searching for the BIL-xxx segments as one-ways on delta.com after finding a suitable trans-Atlantic routing with FlyingBlue. (Don't overlook Alitalia gateways as possibilities.)
Thank you. The problem appears to be travel from BIL to MSP or SLC at reasonable miles on delta.com. They are quoting 25k for a one way. Ouch! I am not getting much from Alitatlia even for JFK to FCO. Bizarre. More suggestions? Thank you again.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 2:16 pm

Programs: Spg Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Diamond
Well Arching OW I found an JFK ATH Direct Oct 4 and a return start of dec for 100k each .

If I understand correctly I can get both for 100k. is that correct?

A few questions

THE tax on the return is 250 + $ .

Also it's the airbus A 330 300 . I don't think it's a lie flat

Can I call and reserve both flights for some time period ?

There is only one day available Oct at this rate and I am afraid if I hold and release DL will not put back into inventory

Also is this better than an AF or other carrier with lie flat beds.

Are the taxes always so high.

Dont get me wrong, I am ecstatic at this price mile combo

Darn wife can't make up her mind
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:49 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Well Arching OW I found an JFK ATH Direct Oct 4 and a return start of dec for 100k each .

If I understand correctly I can get both for 100k. is that correct?

A few questions

THE tax on the return is 250 + $ .

Also it's the airbus A 330 300 . I don't think it's a lie flat

Can I call and reserve both flights for some time period ?

There is only one day available Oct at this rate and I am afraid if I hold and release DL will not put back into inventory

Also is this better than an AF or other carrier with lie flat beds.

Are the taxes always so high.

Dont get me wrong, I am ecstatic at this price mile combo

Darn wife can't make up her mind
The taxes/fees on the return are so high because they're showing the fuel surcharge (YQ), as it looks like it's originating in Europe. If you do it all as one booking, it should come up at 100K and much lower taxes/fees since it won't charge the YQ. The DL A333 is angled like-flat. Not as good as the 764 or 777, but far better than the 763s that haven't been converted (i.e., almost all the 763s). If it fits your dates, it sounds like as good of a deal as you're going to get since I don't believe DL is running flat beds to ATH (unless you luck out and get a refit 763 at some point) and AF/KL don't have flat beds. The only way I can think of to get full flat would be AZ out of NYC. Angled lie-flat will still be light years better than coach.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 3:58 pm

The taxes/fees on the return are so high because they're showing the fuel surcharge (YQ), as it looks like it's originating in Europe. If you do it all as one booking, it should come up at 100K and much lower taxes/fees since it won't charge the YQ. The DL A333 is angled like-flat. Not as good as the 764 or 777, but far better than the 763s that haven't been converted (i.e., almost all the 763s). If it fits your dates, it sounds like as good of a deal as you're going to get since I don't believe DL is running flat beds to ATH (unless you luck out and get a refit 763 at some point) and AF/KL don't have flat beds. The only way I can think of to get full flat would be AZ out of NYC. Angled lie-flat will still be light years better than coach.
Wow . I just searched for these flights RT and found it for 100K plus $80.90 instead of OW search

My wife thinks those dates MIGHT work . ANy way to hold it ??

Site says stretch out in a generously reclining seat . I can live with that also

OB is an AIrbus A 330 300 ATH JFK is a 767 300 ER

I am more concerned with the Airbus seat. Any selections for cool air flow and less noise?

Last edited by PETERPNYC; Aug 22, 2011 at 4:24 pm Reason: update
Old Aug 22, 2011, 4:16 pm

Originally Posted by PETERPNYC
Wow . I just searched for these flights RT and found it for 100K plus $80.90 instead of OW search

My wife thinks those dates MIGHT work . ANy way to hold it ??

Site says stretch out in a generously reclining seat . I can live with that also
Sounds better. Here's some info on the A330 seats. I'd book it and then find the thread for your A330 type (-200 or -300) and read up on seating advice.
Old Aug 22, 2011, 5:50 pm

Sounds better. Here's some info on the A330 seats. I'd book it and then find the thread for your A330 type (-200 or -300) and read up on seating advice.
I just put it on hold till weds 1159 PM . I can only sleep in cool cabins and remember in the Airbus I flew Business on Olympic SEAT 5g was my favorite

It was near the vents and cooller than the first 2-3 rows
I will try that seat
Old Aug 22, 2011, 6:03 pm

So being a total amateur at this I'm trying to get from LAX to CDG in October with very flexible dates... using the flying blue site I've found some good AZ flights LAX-Rome-CDG with low level business class awards but no good AZ options for coming home.

Now that I have that can I combine those flights with low level AF or DL return flights I found for coming home, call delta, and book it all at once?... Like I said, new to this so sorry if stupid question.
Old Aug 23, 2011, 10:15 am

Originally Posted by locked
So being a total amateur at this I'm trying to get from LAX to CDG in October with very flexible dates... using the flying blue site I've found some good AZ flights LAX-Rome-CDG with low level business class awards but no good AZ options for coming home.

Now that I have that can I combine those flights with low level AF or DL return flights I found for coming home, call delta, and book it all at once?... Like I said, new to this so sorry if stupid question.
Yup, if you need a partner other than DL/AF/KL/AS/HA, write down your exact flights and call DL. For AZ, you'll probably have to ask them to long sell the award and wait for it to come back confirmed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.