Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: Delta PM, IHG, HH
Booked 2 RT 140k tickets in O to CDG this fall. First time redeeming miles for business class, so I am happy
Old Mar 11, 2017, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL SM, DL Amex Plat, Hilton Silver
Very nice; enjoy!
Old Mar 12, 2017, 4:53 am

Programs: Delta PM
Gotta love schedule changes! Booked BOS-LAX-SYD and return back in July for 220k each. Our home airport is PWM which is only 1.5 hour drive from BOS but due to a schedule change on the way home that missed MCT at LAX, I got them to reroute us back to PWM for the ride home. TY Delta for making those calls so easy.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:55 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, DL DM
Originally Posted by downzy
Booked 2 RT 140k tickets in O to CDG this fall. First time redeeming miles for business class, so I am happy
Might want to check for the 110k options that are available during the current flash sale.
Old Mar 16, 2017, 3:18 pm

Programs: Delta PM, IHG, HH
Originally Posted by KingBraden
Might want to check for the 110k options that are available during the current flash sale.
Saw that! I checked and the 110k ones that work for our travel timeframe have routing that arrives more in the evening in CDG than the morning. We'd rather spend the extra pesos to get more of a full day in Paris
Old Mar 16, 2017, 7:04 pm

Any suggestions on how to get ALB to either HNL or KOA a year in advance? This far out, any day is doable (I think DL has to 2/10/17). For saver awards that is. So far, not finding any. Ever. Do they actually have any? I was informed DL never has any except from LAX/SLC or Seattle. Right now, best I can find is 90k for a one-way or 165k for roundtrip
Old Mar 17, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by hurnik
Any suggestions on how to get ALB to either HNL or KOA a year in advance? This far out, any day is doable (I think DL has to 2/10/17). For saver awards that is. So far, not finding any. Ever. Do they actually have any? I was informed DL never has any except from LAX/SLC or Seattle. Right now, best I can find is 90k for a one-way or 165k for roundtrip
Normal pricing was practically only available with AS. With DL having ruined its relationship with AS, now indeed it is practically almost never possible. You have to be very lucky to find anything at the normal price.
Old Mar 30, 2017, 2:06 pm

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
I'm having trouble with DL.com trying to price out a one way award flight (PRG-SFO) with a connection in JFK. When I search for the PRG-JFK route it comes up as 70K miles in Delta One, and then when I search JFK-SFO it shows 75K in D1. If I search PRG-SFO it prices at 137,500 using the exact same flights/times I searched for individually.

I thought I would be allowed to include the domestic connection to SFO in the 70K award under DL's award rules which require 4 hours or less (the connection is 1h45m).

Is it just a matter of me needing to call DL to have them sort out the pricing or is it accurate that 137.5K is the actual price? Or is it something to do with the fact that JFK-SFO is a "premium" domestic route which kicks the price into another tier?
Old Mar 31, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by brosnan6
I'm having trouble with DL.com trying to price out a one way award flight (PRG-SFO) with a connection in JFK. When I search for the PRG-JFK route it comes up as 70K miles in Delta One, and then when I search JFK-SFO it shows 75K in D1. If I search PRG-SFO it prices at 137,500 using the exact same flights/times I searched for individually.

I thought I would be allowed to include the domestic connection to SFO in the 70K award under DL's award rules which require 4 hours or less (the connection is 1h45m).

Is it just a matter of me needing to call DL to have them sort out the pricing or is it accurate that 137.5K is the actual price? Or is it something to do with the fact that JFK-SFO is a "premium" domestic route which kicks the price into another tier?
I am having similar issue with pricing out HYD to DTW on August 7th.
It shows standard award availability when checked for HYD to CDG on August 7th (65k), and then for CDG to DTW on August 8th (70k).
But when I price out together it gives 157.5k even more than combined together.

Does calling delta helps here.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:08 am

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by brosnan6
Originally Posted by easygoing77
I am having similar issue with pricing out HYD to DTW on August 7th.
It shows standard award availability when checked for HYD to CDG on August 7th (65k), and then for CDG to DTW on August 8th (70k).
But when I price out together it gives 157.5k even more than combined together.
DL switch to married segment logic for award tickets some time ago, so AAA-BBB, BBB-CCC, and AAA-CCC are all priced differently, just like revenue tickets.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:33 am

Programs: Amex Biz Cent, Marriott LTP, Avis PC, Hilton Owners Diamond, AS MVP
Originally Posted by bennos
DL switch to married segment logic for award tickets some time ago, so AAA-BBB, BBB-CCC, and AAA-CCC are all priced differently, just like revenue tickets.
Ahh, that's it, thanks. I'd always heard about this but never encountered it in practice as I haven't booked too many multi-segment tickets. Good to know that's what it is
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:17 am

I'm looking for a MCO - FCO round trip award ticket in mid Oct in D1 or Business (whatever is cheapest), but it is pricing at either 285k or 350k. Is there anything I should be doing to find low tier award tickets or is that really as low as it gets?

Thanks for your help!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 12:03 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Gold, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Credit Card Diamond
Originally Posted by wildcard442
I'm looking for a MCO - FCO round trip award ticket in mid Oct in D1 or Business (whatever is cheapest), but it is pricing at either 285k or 350k. Is there anything I should be doing to find low tier award tickets or is that really as low as it gets?

Thanks for your help!
The "low" price should be 70k one-way or 140k total. I'd recommend searching each direction separately to try to find that 70k price (or as close as possible) and then search those dates for the roundtrip to piece it together. You might also consider searching other airports such as TPA and DAB or even ATL or other hubs and book a cash flight to the hub (or maybe drive if it's ATL).

Also, check MIA-FCO for nonstop flights on Alitalia. If they're available, they should price at 70k. You could drive or buy a cash fare on AA to get there (or use BA Avios on AA for a relatively cheap redemption).
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by mattp1987
The "low" price should be 70k one-way or 140k total. I'd recommend searching each direction separately to try to find that 70k price (or as close as possible) and then search those dates for the roundtrip to piece it together. You might also consider searching other airports such as TPA and DAB or even ATL or other hubs and book a cash flight to the hub (or maybe drive if it's ATL).

Also, check MIA-FCO for nonstop flights on Alitalia. If they're available, they should price at 70k. You could drive or buy a cash fare on AA to get there (or use BA Avios on AA for a relatively cheap redemption).
OK, found a few by changing the airport to MIA. They are few and far between but I think I can find something. Thanks again.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL MM/Silver; UA 1K ; Hilton Gold; Marriott Titanium; Avis Pref+,Hertz PC
Anyone had experience in booking a J award on CI to HKG? So far the only CI flights I can find are to TPE only.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.