Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2015, 9:15 am

Programs: AA, DAL, blah, blah, blah...The usual.
Originally Posted by akcae
The bolded part is important! So you were able to find low-level tix out of a gateway, then called in to have them add in positioning flight from your home airport? Did you make the original booking online or did you feed the agent all the flights you found and they pieced it together?
I did not book anything online. I found the availability, and the aircraft I wanted to fly (Virgin 787 and 747), then called the diamond line and told her what I found and if she could work her magic to get me to/from JFK without increasing the required mileage. It took her just five or ten minutes. Easy peasy. (Surprisingly easy).
Old Jan 24, 2015, 12:19 pm
Suspended

[Moved]

Last edited by Dieuwer; Jan 24, 2015 at 9:21 pm
Old Jan 25, 2015, 4:09 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by airmotive
I did not book anything online. I found the availability, and the aircraft I wanted to fly (Virgin 787 and 747), then called the diamond line and told her what I found and if she could work her magic to get me to/from JFK without increasing the required mileage. It took her just five or ten minutes. Easy peasy. (Surprisingly easy).
So now we do research online, then call to have the agent put it together (dependent on luck of the draw of whether you get someone willing/able to actually help).

Way to go, Delta.
Old Jan 25, 2015, 11:02 am
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Telephone booking fee is still $25?
Old Mar 5, 2015, 7:44 am

I'm looking at booking NYC-LON-FCO-NYC. If I book on 1 itinerary the price is 150k miles and about $150. However if I book an OJ NYC-LON/FCO-NYC (same legs) the price is 125k miles and $65. The price of booking the LON-FCO leg is 15k miles and 73 pounds. I don't get how the mileage is added up.

In any event, LON-FCO is 81 pounds and no miles and seems to be the way to go.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
I'm looking at booking NYC-LON-FCO-NYC. If I book on 1 itinerary the price is 150k miles and about $150. However if I book an OJ NYC-LON/FCO-NYC (same legs) the price is 125k miles and $65. The price of booking the LON-FCO leg is 15k miles and 73 pounds. I don't get how the mileage is added up.

In any event, LON-FCO is 81 pounds and no miles and seems to be the way to go.
Have you tried booking the OJ itinerary and then calling in to have them add the LON-FCO leg? It *should* (maybe, who knows in this brave new world) add no additional miles to your ticket assuming the LON transfer is less than 24hrs.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by akcae
Have you tried booking the OJ itinerary and then calling in to have them add the LON-FCO leg? It *should* (maybe, who knows in this brave new world) add no additional miles to your ticket assuming the LON transfer is less than 24hrs.
You could try this, again assuming you are just transiting LON and not stopping there.

Though with the tax/fee increase, it seems that you're paying the high departure tax so it might be a stopover. The solution of the 81 GBP cash flight is the obvious solution if adding the LON-FCO to your award ticket results in any increase of miles - you're paying something like $20 to save 15k or 25k miles. No brainer.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:38 am

It's a stop over (>24 hours). In the past I had been able to book an OJ with 1 stopover in low. Is this no longer allowed? In any case, 125k + 15k = 140k. Not sure how the system came up with 150k.

I don't want to call in as I'm not 100% on the trip yet and since I dropped to GM I no longer have free changes.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
It's a stop over (>24 hours). In the past I had been able to book an OJ with 1 stopover in low. Is this no longer allowed? In any case, 125k + 15k = 140k. Not sure how the system came up with 150k.

I don't want to call in as I'm not 100% on the trip yet and since I dropped to GM I no longer have free changes.
As of 01 JAN 2015, no more stopovers allowed on award tickets with DL. OJs are allowed, but really it's a non-issue as one-way awards are now possible so OJs just book/price as two one-ways on a single PNR, so the expected pricing should be:
NYC-LON plus LON-FCO plus FCO-NYC

Are you sure the 15k award you saw isn't in coach? 25k is an intra-Euro business class award, IIRC.

Given the cash prices for LON-FCO vs. award prices (even at 15k) - paying cash for that leg is the obvious choice, IMO. Especially since it'll be on a separate day so you don't have much to worry about in terms of misconnects on separate tickets.

Finally, I don't think anyone knows how the DL award system prices things out anymore. I can't even seem to get phone agents to decipher it for me...
Old Mar 5, 2015, 9:56 am

[QUOTE=gooselee;24459378]As of 01 JAN 2015, no more stopovers allowed on award tickets with DL. OJs are allowed, but really it's a non-issue as one-way awards are now possible so OJs just book/price as two one-ways on a single PNR, so the expected pricing should be:
NYC-LON plus LON-FCO plus FCO-NYC[/q]

Ah another lost benefit. Can't say I didn't see it coming though.

[q]Are you sure the 15k award you saw isn't in coach? 25k is an intra-Euro business class award, IIRC.[/q]
Oops I knew I asked here for a reason. I suppose when I book I can request that segment in coach using miles but there's no reason for it if the price of the ticket is essentially the APD.
Old Mar 5, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Oops I knew I asked here for a reason. I suppose when I book I can request that segment in coach using miles but there's no reason for it if the price of the ticket is essentially the APD.
Happy to help. And I think you're absolutely correct - the only reason I'd ever fly EuroBiz is because it's a continuation of a TATL flight and doesn't cost me anything extra (except maybe taxes/fees that I'd be paying anyway). I also benefit from Priority Pass, so it's not like the J ticket is even helping with lounge access or anything.

Also gives me a fun chance to try out new/different airlines that I wouldn't ordinarily use. Usually no huge differences, but fun all the same. Later this year I'll get to try short-haul LX and IB. Last year I got a 2.5 hour hop on 9W and was pleasantly surprised by an excellent hot dinner all the way back in row 35 or something. ^
Old Mar 6, 2015, 11:29 am

Programs: Delta PM 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
How do I .........

I've been trying to book an open jaw (I think DL still allows it) AGS-ATL-LON return CDG-ATL-AGS, I get 325K per seat on Business Elite. Can I get the assistanace of you experts and see if we can get this trip to a reasonable number of miles. I have some flexibility on the dates staring July 3 Through July 19 for at least 10 days. Thanks !!!
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:15 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; OW Emerald; MVP Gold 100k;Marriott/SPG LTPlat; HH Diamond
Originally Posted by danola
I've been trying to book an open jaw (I think DL still allows it) AGS-ATL-LON return CDG-ATL-AGS, I get 325K per seat on Business Elite. Can I get the assistanace of you experts and see if we can get this trip to a reasonable number of miles. I have some flexibility on the dates staring July 3 Through July 19 for at least 10 days. Thanks !!!
Search one way AGS-LON, flex dates for 5 weeks, I see July 7th out via ATL for 62,500, then repeat for the return, then call DL and have them piece it together to avoid taxes ex LON. Good luck.

Last edited by JBJ2435; Mar 6, 2015 at 6:17 pm Reason: Typo
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by gooselee
Happy to help. And I think you're absolutely correct - the only reason I'd ever fly EuroBiz is because it's a continuation of a TATL flight and doesn't cost me anything extra (except maybe taxes/fees that I'd be paying anyway). I also benefit from Priority Pass, so it's not like the J ticket is even helping with lounge access or anything.

Also gives me a fun chance to try out new/different airlines that I wouldn't ordinarily use. Usually no huge differences, but fun all the same. Later this year I'll get to try short-haul LX and IB. Last year I got a 2.5 hour hop on 9W and was pleasantly surprised by an excellent hot dinner all the way back in row 35 or something. ^
Question: if one's itinerary is such, with one leg in J and one in Y, which baggage allowance applies? I'm speaking about an itinerary where one stops for a few days, not one where simply connecting to different flights.
Old Mar 6, 2015, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JBJ2435
Search one way AGS-LON, flex dates for 5 weeks, I see July 7th out via ATL for 62,500, then repeat for the return, then call DL and have them piece it together to avoid taxes ex LON. Good luck.
Mrs. Lee is out of town and I'm bored.

You can also depart on July 7 or July 15 for the same "price". The trick seems to be that on the return, Tier 1 is only available on 7/23. For 17.5k more miles (142.5k total) you have many, many more return options.

If you're set on spending fewer miles but can't return on the 23rd, you can also get a Tier 1 CDG-ATL or CDG-JFK on many more dates, then figure out how to get back to Augusta on your own (or call in and add a low-level coach award if they can get it to price out for no additional miles).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.