Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

The Definitive "How To Search for Low Tier Business Awards"

Old Jun 20, 2014, 11:37 am

trying to book JFK to HKG with miles on business for sept 22 and returning 29. looked on delta's website their offering for 240,000 miles, which Im a bit short of. what airline is the best option for me to redeem it on? how would i go about doing that? - sorry for the newbie question
Old Jun 20, 2014, 12:36 pm

Originally Posted by zakran
trying to book JFK to HKG with miles on business for sept 22 and returning 29. looked on delta's website their offering for 240,000 miles, which Im a bit short of. what airline is the best option for me to redeem it on? how would i go about doing that? - sorry for the newbie question
You can try searching airfrance.us (need to create an account but don't need any miles in it) for JFK-CAN, CAN-HKG, HKG-CAN, CAN-JFK and then call DL to feed the flights you found to an agent, however there have been reports that DL cannot see some of CZ's availability. You will also incur some fuel surcharges.

There is also an option on 9/23 for low level business all on DL: EWR-MSP-NRT-HKG DL 5719 + DL 121 (or similar routing from LGA but with LGA-MSP in coach) but not much around your return date.

Edit: I even found an option on 9/22 bookable on DL.com: EWR-DTW-ICN-HKG DL 3363 + DL 159 + KE 607. And the return on 9/29: HKG-ICN-SEA-EWR KE 604 + DL 198 + AS 14. 140,000 miles + $101.10. All in first/business class.

Last edited by michael_v; Jun 20, 2014 at 12:54 pm
Old Jun 20, 2014, 3:28 pm

tx! is there anyway to get around the step fuelcharges on airfrance?
Old Jun 20, 2014, 6:40 pm

Originally Posted by zakran
tx! is there anyway to get around the step fuelcharges on airfrance?
DL does not impose fuel surcharge on AF flights. If you are talking about the cost shown on af.us, you can ignore that most of the time. If you want to find out the YQ for CZ flights, for example, you can use matrix.itasoftware.com, do a dummy search and at the end it should spell out the fare components, including any YQ/YR. HTH
Old Jun 21, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: DL Diamond + 1MM; AA Gold; UA Gold
Agent can't get tickets released....

I just did a ton of research on DL, KL, AF sites and pieced together an itinerary. The DL agent said that she couldn't get a few of the segments to come back confirmed. I then went onto DL.com, did it myself, and the whole itinerary confirmed in 20 seconds.

Question: How common is it for the website to be able to get seats released when the agent can't? Given how poor DL.dumb is, i'm surprised.
Old Jun 22, 2014, 11:53 am

Why don't I see any X availability on KLM from SFO/LAX/SEA - AMS in July 2014/August 2014? X isn't even an option. Has something changed on EF?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:03 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by finny52
I just did a ton of research on DL, KL, AF sites and pieced together an itinerary. The DL agent said that she couldn't get a few of the segments to come back confirmed. I then went onto DL.com, did it myself, and the whole itinerary confirmed in 20 seconds.

Question: How common is it for the website to be able to get seats released when the agent can't? Given how poor DL.dumb is, i'm surprised.
Please clarify "confirmed". Itinerary booked?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I'm trying to find two business seats across the pacific on Korean. I've been successful in finding one on some Korean Air routes, but I haven't found any with two thus far.

Does anyone know how frequently, if you book one award seat, Korean will then subsequently open up another on the same flight to award redemption? If this is a regular occurrence, I could gamble with it, but if it never happens, then maybe I'll look into other options for getting across the ocean.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 6:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA1k, DL
Originally Posted by wfu03
I'm trying to find two business seats across the pacific on Korean. I've been successful in finding one on some Korean Air routes, but I haven't found any with two thus far.

Does anyone know how frequently, if you book one award seat, Korean will then subsequently open up another on the same flight to award redemption? If this is a regular occurrence, I could gamble with it, but if it never happens, then maybe I'll look into other options for getting across the ocean.
As of late, I've mainly seen KE offer 1 seat in J at a time which is similar to your experience. Do you have status with DL? If you are PM or DM, you should be able to book the flight with an open seat and wait for another to potentially open up. If it does not, cancel and try again. In general, when I have seen more than one seat on KE, its been out of the west coast.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by wfu03

It's been stated before in other threads (search for KE awards) but it seems KE may not release more than 1 business seat at any given time to DL.

My personal experience has been that DL may not have access to additional award seats despite KE opening up more. I had a business award seat booked 10 months in advance and looked for the entire time for DL to have another seat available. A week before departure, KE opened up another award seat, but DL did not have access to it. Even 4 hours prior to departure, KE still showed availability, and DL still could not book it.

I wound up taking another award seat on a different carrier to our destination; my wife, who was on the KE award seat, told me when we arrived at our destination that there were at least 2 empty business seats on that flight.
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
So not exactly searching for LT Business, but using one of the tricks (searching OW first to find availability). Anyway, want to fly SFO-YUL in Y for 25K.

RT search in Sep yields 32.5K RT. OW search yields 40K for the same OB flights that yield 32.5K.

Is this me or is this the DL.dumb award calendar failing again?
Old Aug 24, 2014, 3:29 am

Use alaskaair.com for low level delta availability
Old Aug 24, 2014, 1:35 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, National Executive Elite, United Silver
I'm looking to fly from South Florida (PBI, FLL, MIA) to FCO on 7/22/15 and return BCN to South Florida on 8/2 or 8/3 2015. I'm PM for 2015 and my girlfriend is FO. I know I can't book just yet, but I'm seeing low award availability up to 7/21. Assuming availability in low opens for 7/22, should I book as one way and then add the return segment when availability opens?
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:25 am

Programs: DL Gold
VA has changed their booking page since I last searched for award availability (to fly VA using DL miles). There's now 5 categories. Which is the one that aligns with what I can book through Delta? (I think it's "Business Reward", but not positive)

Premium Reward
Business Reward
Premium Saver
Premium
Business
Old Aug 28, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, AMEX Platinum, AMEX DL Platinum, Nexus, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by mnredfox
RT search in Sep yields 32.5K RT. OW search yields 40K for the same OB flights that yield 32.5K.
That's probably the 40k leg. The other direction may be at 25k. Combine them, and you pay (40k/2)+(25k/2)=32.5k

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.